What am I looking for?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Yorkshireman

Post by Yorkshireman »

Ambermile wrote:... and aren't they nice and shiny too :lol:

Arthur

Yes indeedy Arthur ... in a classy silky way rather than a hard, glossy, chromey way :lol:
Colin N.
Lincolnshire is mostly flat ... but the wind is mostly in your face!
http://www.freewebs.com/yorkshireman1/
UrbanManc

Post by UrbanManc »

I bought some today from Edinburgh Bike Co-op , £16.99 :)

Not fitted them yet , instead I've plonked them on the tip of my slippers whilst I walk around the house to wear them in :P

I don't think the cable tie on mine is re-usable. :?
Yorkshireman

Post by Yorkshireman »

I couldn't 'wear em in' like that (too much laminate flooring), but I did put an old pair of shoes in them and applied a little heat to the toe clips (as they were a bit squashed) and allowed them to sit there overnight - OK now. The re-usable cable tie has a little (very little :roll: ) tag you press down with a fingernail underneath the excess cable tie where it clears the locking bit (if you've already cut it ... :( ).
Colin N.
cranky

Post by cranky »

Well I now have a set of these on one of my bikes and I must say they look not too shabby. I'm hoping to fit a ride in today so I'll get a chance to try them out and I might get a second pair for the Ridgeback.
Iain

Ridgeback Genesis Day 2
Surly Long Haul Trucker
McVouty

Post by McVouty »

A friend used to have bear trap pedals fitted with a broad diagonal leather strap (outside end forward, inside end back) fitted on her mountain bike, which seemed to work pretty well and were easy to get out of by flicking the heel out. I'm not sure whether she bought them or they were a bodge by her husband.
Yorkshireman

Post by Yorkshireman »

McVouty wrote:A friend used to have bear trap pedals fitted with a broad diagonal leather strap (outside end forward, inside end back) fitted on her mountain bike, which seemed to work pretty well and were easy to get out of by flicking the heel out. I'm not sure whether she bought them or they were a bodge by her husband.

Powergrips?
http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDeta ... ctID=12960
A bit pricey at nearly £20.00 for a couple of straps :wink:
Colin N.
McVouty

Post by McVouty »

That's the ones, although my friend's must have been a home made copy.
360fix

Post by 360fix »

Yorkshireman wrote:A bit pricey at nearly £20.00 for a couple of straps :wink:

Yes but remember these aren't just any old straps. If you look closely you will see they have a calibration screw in the front. Mind you the Cycle Store did charge me £14 for a Cateye that CRC now charge £10 for (delivered). :cry:
360fix

Post by 360fix »

I reckon it should be possible to make a pair of home made 'Powergrips' for next to nothing. Reqd. 4 cable ties say 30cm long. An old leather belt say 28mm wide cut into 2 lengthes of say 23cm long. Thread one cable tie through each of the strips of leather making short little slits in the straps for the cable tie to pass through. Three slits should be enough for the cable ties to pass through. The ends of these cable ties pass through the holes in your pedals. Connect the remaining 2 cable ties underneath the pedals to the protruding ends of the cable ties in the leather straps and tighten while your foot is in each of the straps. Kerching...!!! £20 in the kitty for a night down the pub or for a new cycling jersey or whatever.

Intellectual property rights belong to CTC...
Ambermile

Post by Ambermile »

Well, fitted mine to the beastie last night - a quick thrash this morning proves them to be a bit different to the old Tioga beartraps with toeclips! I feel now that my foot (the ball) is actually being used rather than the outside of my foot... if you see what I mean? A lot more comfortable really. Now I have to decide whether to get these onto the Galaxy and refit the Tiogas or get another pair!

Arthur
I make stuff, that's all.
Yorkshireman

Post by Yorkshireman »

Very comfortable indeed - with all the different shoes that I've tried so far. I notice that you don't have the strap twist (in the part of the strap that passes through the pedal) to help keep the buckle in the right place, perhaps the (nylon?) straps hold their place better than the old leather ones :? . Now that mine have got a good number of miles on them I find that the bearings are a lot smoother and free running - to the extent that the pedals hang with the base up (in fact the little tag that one normally 'taps' to bring the pedal into the 'enter' mode is lower than the base), so I've had one or two 'pedal with one foot while engaging the other' moments :roll: . I'm getting used to it though (and pretty adept at pushing the reflector back on the shaft) :wink:
Colin N.
360fix

Post by 360fix »

Oooohhh Aaarrrghhhh I feel the urge to play with my pedals again 8) Pretty pedals let me polish you and make you sparkle and shine in that silky understated sort of way... Ooooggghhhh Aaaaarrrrgggghhhhh...
Ambermile

Post by Ambermile »

:roll:

Anyway. Used these on Sunday for the Bikeathon thing and they are really rather nice to the feet, no pains or strains at all. There was just one tinsy little complaint though - if, when you are trying to get the second foot in (or even the first actually) and you step down on the toeclips, they have a nasty habit of clipping themselves *into* the pedal. Means you either have to stop to realease it or try to lean over whilst looking where you are going/what you are doing... makes for some scary riding :shock:

Arthur
I make stuff, that's all.
burnsie

Post by burnsie »

Hi...my first post apart from a hello in the tea shop. Was browsing the forum for a while before joining CTC. I bought a Claud Butler Dalesman a few months back..found these pedals/clips difficult to use (have used toe clips for 20 plus years)..main problem was difficulty in inserting second foot once pushed off, and resulting need to press on pedal causing the clip to trap in the pedal...really frustrating...sometimes stopping 2-3 times to free clip before finally successfully inserting foot!!

Though it was because pedals/clips were different, so gave it a month, with little joy.....couldn't even do it when on a quiet road giving the process my virtually undivided attention. Gave up in the end and switched to SPDs...like these, although still slightly tentative re using them...especially after incident at traffic lights :oops: which you don't need to know about.

Anyway hope they are working for everyone who's got them

Dave
peevafred

Post by peevafred »

Ambermile wrote:No - it's these:

Thanks for all the replies, it appears that these sort of things are a dying breed :(

Arthur - resisting clipless for as long as I can!

I bought a pair of these from the Edinburgh Bike shop