How to get Fit on a Bicycle?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
TwoPlusTen

Re: How to get Fit on a Bicycle?

Post by TwoPlusTen »

Much of riding a bike (and anything fitness, for that matter) is mental as much as physical.

Maybe we should all take inspiration from this little guy?

http://thechive.com/2011/06/02/kid-learns-how-to-ride-bike-and-gives-inspirational-speech-video/
Sorebum

Post by Sorebum »

Wow.

Some inspiration on this thread. I think it's clear to me now that I used the wrong forum for a beginner, and glad I found this one. Some amazing advice and encouragement on here. Although none of it has been aimed directly at me, I feel I should thank everyone who has contributed to this thread for the advice I've gleaned from it. I've learned more in one night here, than in the previous three weeks.
tramponabike

Post by tramponabike »

Excellent thread, thanks to all. As an almost entirely solo rider, I really appreciate the shared experiences.

I very much agree with those posters stressing the importance of mental approach. If you can't find the resolve to persist with an activity that can at times be painful and humbling, you will never improve.

The most effective change in my mental approach to tackling hills (distance and time in saddle not been a problem for me) was when I began to accept every hill as an opportunity to improve rather than an unwelcome and feared challenge. The transformation this has made to my cycling has been incredible. It doesn't in itself make me any fitter or faster, but it does ensure that I don't avoid the challenges and inevitably the increased practise is bringing results.

Tho other major discouragement I found was a feeling of little or no improvements being made. This was overcome when I realised that as my abilities improved, my expectations were expanding to match. I suppose that proper ride logging and timing would be a good idea to actually visualise the improvement made. Not in my nature though so I make do with the conviction that I am improving and reinforcing that by regular riding of my home circuit for comparison.

No work so off to do it now. :)
JayZed

Post by JayZed »

I love this thread. I think my story is pretty much the same as a lot of others posted above: I started cycling two years ago at the age of 36 (having not cycled at all for 20 years). The prospect of an eight-mile ride into work was pretty daunting, and any kind of gradient felt like the Himalayas. I've now moved offices and commute more than 20 miles a day, plus rides of 50+ miles when I can find the time at the weekends. A couple of weeks ago I did the 120-mile Dunwich Dynamo, and I'd really like to do LEJOG next year.

What's my amazing secret? Um, just sticking with it, really, and finding my fitness and stamina gradually increasing. Getting a computer and watching the improvement in my times and average speeds was good for the soul, too.
Nettled Shin

Post by Nettled Shin »

Some of these stories seem so familiar. I didn't do any sport for years once I left school. When I started cycling, I would drink vast quantities of water, lose my vision (couldn't see my hand in front of my face), and I would feel so sick I would just sit down in nettles and wait for death to embrace me. Now I feel like an absolute machine when I'm out cycling. It really is amazing the difference. One thing I'd say is that as your fitness improves, you enjoy cycling more. I have been lent a road bike, and my lungs feel like they are going to explode when I ride it; I can't quite put my finger on why it should make be fitter than when using a MTB. Another odd things about cycling is that is seems to make you good at, err, cycling; so I can hardly run for toffee, for example.If you need to get fit quickly interval training is meant to be good. I think some army research discovered that 30min interval training would give you the same fitness level as going for 2 hours continuously.
godfrey

Post by godfrey »

due to do the c2c in 29 weeks time but have not been on a bike for 30years and am struggling doing 2 miles in my first week. will this be possable?
I am going to need all your help as I will be doing this for a departed friend.
How oftern do i need to be on my bike and how far do in need to inerase each week/day, I will do this help is needed
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

Welcome to the forum.

How many miles is the C2C, and are you doing it in 1 day, 2 days or what? Once you know that, you know what you need to build up to.
godfrey

Post by godfrey »

I intend doing it as a group of approx 20 over 3 days. It is 160 miles
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Welcome to the forum. Just a suggested, sometimes you are best starting a new thread, rather than revive a fairly old one as people may overlook it as one they have already contributed to and not realise someone is asking a new question.

So 2 miles? In what sort of timescale? When did you last ride a bike if ever? Sounds like you are starting from zero. Many years ago I saw a trainin gschedule for a marathon, that started with nothing more than a walk to the end of the street and back.

So do your 2 miles today (ok tomorrow now), and do another 2 miles on Tues. When we were kids we used to ride around the 'block' a short circular route of local roads. Do that a few evenings when you get home from work, you are never far from home but you can do 1, 2, 3, or however many circuits you feel you can cope with to start with.
Before you know it you will be ready to try a ride of 5+miles at the weekend, then try 8-10 miles the following weekend. Remember you have the advantage of lightening evenings to get and do a few laps.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Nettled Shin

Post by Nettled Shin »

Has anyone watched the BBC 2 Horizon programme: The truth about Exercise ?
I haven't seen it, but the write-up claims that some people can achieve significant fitness doing just 3mins of high intensity exercise a week.
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

I'd say 160 miles in 3 days, from scratch, is doable. But not I fear by doing just 3 minutes exercise a week.

The trick is to get cycling, and gradually increase it until you ride 160 miles in a week. Perhaps you can do 10 miles this week. Then 20 miles next week, 30 the next, and so on. (Strictly speaking, the progression should be geometric not arithmetic, but never mind.)
jawaka

Post by jawaka »

For me it is interval training. I don't do full interval training, just out on a ride I fix on atree and go for it with burning lungs and legs, might only be 10 seconds, then stop and take say 30-60 sec to recover and then repeat, maybe do it 3 times. I reckon doing that twice a week on a ride as short as 10-20 mins gets you fitter than you'll ever get just doing distances at a comfortable pace.