CTC Newsnet

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
anniesboy

CTC Newsnet

Post by anniesboy »

Does anyone get the Newsnet email?

I have now requested this to be sent to me on four occasions ,and still I get nothing.

OK I could ring but why should I,if no one responds to the request online is there any point in that option being there
dodger

Post by dodger »

It's a bit hit and misss, but mainly miss for me!
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

I get it and have been doing so for a few years now. No problem.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

mailto: membership@ctc.org.uk

I do get it.

I've just had a look at mine prompted by your post. It says to subscribe, send an email to the above address including subscribe and your membership number or postcode in the subject field.

If you have done that already, I am out of my depth. :oops:

You could have mine if there was some way of giving it to you, I don't linger when reading it.
anniesboy

Post by anniesboy »

Thirdcrank Yes I have sent four email requests ,the nil response is completely under whelming.
Frankly I cant be too bothered any more,after all I have only been a member since November 1988
PW

Post by PW »

I may have had a senior moment but I don't recall requesting it :oops:
However the email arrives fairly regularly.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
UrbanManc

Post by UrbanManc »

anniesboy wrote:Thirdcrank Yes I have sent four email requests ,the nil response is completely under whelming.
Frankly I cant be too bothered any more,after all I have only been a member since November 1988

I know how you feel , I've got two Specialized bikes and I've registered to their members newsletter countless times and recieved nothing .. to be honest .. I don't think it exists :?
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

I did subscribe to the Newsnet. For about six or seven issues. Mostly it came, but just a couple of times it didn't.

I have now unsubscribed to it, because it just seemed to me to be nothing but a list of links to other sites.
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

I was going to ask: what's in it?
Si

Post by Si »

dan_b wrote:I was going to ask: what's in it?

appologies for the fomatting - it loses something when copied over...

Pendleton, Hoy and Clancy to attend Freewheel

50,000 people on bikes will descend on London this Sunday for the 2nd London Freewheel. There’ll be a chance to meet Chris Hoy, Victoria Pendleton and Ed Clancy, plus CTC will be on hand at The Mall, if you fancy stopping by. The route is closed to traffic and open to cycles from 09:30 - 16:30.
Paralympics logo
Paralympics round-up

Team GB’s cyclists have returned home from the Paralympics with 17 gold medals from track and road events. To see the cycling highlights from the games watch this review and scroll to 5 minutes in. Overall Great Britain came a pretty impressive 2nd in the medals table. More information about cycling at the Paralympics can be found on the official Paralympics website or BBC Sport.
Five Miles to Fabulous Logo
Why don’t more women cycle?

Despite the outstanding performance in Beijing by the British female cycling team, 64% of women said they never cycle and just 2% cycle every day. According to an online survey commissioned by Cycling England, which was published today, men are still three times more likely to cycle than women. The survey suggests that the perceived effect of cycling on appearance, together with a lack of confidence in cycling on the road, is behind this gender imbalance. So what can we do to encourage more women to cycle? Let us know your thoughts and ideas on CTC’s forum. If you live in the Reading area why not invite your female friends to take part in Five Miles to Fabulous on Saturday 27th September?
Heart top
Cycling can cut risk of diabetes

Here’s another reason to get on your bike: research published this week by the British Heart Foundation shows that women at high risk of developing type 2 diabetes can increase their chances of staying healthy through cycling, running, rowing and aerobics.
Pashley
Cyclist on the catwalk

Why buy Vogue when you get Newsnet every week? Last week I mentioned that cycling was officially chic and it seems like Stella McCartney has picked up on my trend advice and asked Victoria Pendleton to model her latest range at London Fashion Week. Plus Elle MacPherson’s also been in the papers out on her bike
Rachel Atherton
Queen Rachel

True to form Rachel Atherton came first in the women's downhill at the Mountain Bike World Cup event in Austria at the weekend. Her brothers also made it to the podium: Dan was second in the 4X while Gee took third in the men's downhill. If you missed it you can watch the action online.
Commuter
Faster than a speeding bus, car or train

Here’s yet more proof that cycling is much faster through rush hour traffic than driving or taking the bus: cycling was the quickest way to get across Manchester in the latest commuter challenge. It was organised by the Greater Manchester Cycle Campaign.
Speed Vest
Speedy vest

This is an invention for speedy cycling show-offs: the speed vest tells the world how fast you are going by displaying your speed on the back. To see it working, watch this video footage. Not the best thing to wear if you are feeling tired or struggling up a steep hill though!
Speed Camera
Betcher!

Don’t you miss those old public information films? This week’s random video, uploaded by the British Film Institute, is from the early 1970s and promotes the cycling proficiency test. Keep an eye out for a very young Keith Chegwin and, of course the bikes, which would be worth a fortune on ebay today.
Fixie
A billion bicycles

According to singer Katie Melua there are nine million bicycles in Beijing, but how many are there in the whole world? Katie doesn’t know that as she’s a popstar but according to the website worldometers it’s estimated there are more than a billion bicycles and that includes around 20 million in the UK. The site also has stats on world bicycle production too.
Swindon Cycle Challenge
Colchester Workplace Cycle Challenge

On Monday the Colchester Workplace Cycle Challenge begins. Businesses and staff in the area are being urged to compete to see who can get the highest percentage of staff to ride a bike. If your business or team would like to take part in the free challenge, you can register online. There are many prizes and incentives for people to cycle over the three week challenge, which runs from Monday 22nd September through till Sunday 12th October. For more information contact CTC’s Richard Monk.
Give Way sign
Converting the council to cycling

CTC Right to Ride Rep in Sheffield Simon Geller, CTC Cycle Champion Steve Marsden, and David Bocking from Pedal Ready met with Sheffield’s new cabinet member for transport Cllr Ian Auckland and transport planner Andy Wild. The meeting obviously went well and the message was passed on to others at Sheffield Council as a few weeks later, a local newspaper printed a picture of a councillor on his bike, calling for more people in Sheffield to follow suit and pointing out that if 20% of commuter journeys were by bike, it would make a huge difference to congestion in the city. If you want to campaign for cycling where you live, why not join the Right to Ride Network? For more information email righttoride@ctc.org.uk
Tape
Product of the week: Tape it up

It is bike makeover time. If your handlebars look a bit tatty then gets some bright new tape from the CTC shop and make them look great. Prices start at £6.30. Click here for the CTC shop website or feel free to give us a call on 0844 736 8459.
Cycle Computer
Member Benefit: 3 months free or free cycle computer

Introduce a friend to CTC and each of you will receive 3 months free membership or a Trek cycle computer (worth £24.99). If you know someone who’d love CTC, we’d like to welcome them to our family of cyclists. If they join before October, both of you will get the choice of one of these great offers. Simply call the CTC membership team on 0844 736 8451 and give us the details.
spinner_43

CTC Newsletter

Post by spinner_43 »

How strange- I have been a member for only 4 weeks and have received a Newsletter every week since I joined.
Mind you, I did have a problem when trying to join using the on-line facility, in that my postcode wasn't recognised and I became, in effect, a homeless, non-person. However, it was soon sorted out via a Membership Form from a L.B.S. and snail-mail, so I'm now a fully-fledged Member, and enjoying every minute of it.
Should have done it years ago.
Alan
---------------------------------------------------------------
What would you rather be, or a wasp ?
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

Si wrote:
dan_b wrote:I was going to ask: what's in it?

appologies for the fomatting - it loses something when copied over...
[snip]

Thanks. And as if by magic it arrived by email as well this morning - looks like I am on the list after all.
anniesboy

Post by anniesboy »

I'm glad to hear of some success, I will try for a fifth time and keep this post updated
anniesboy

Post by anniesboy »

Well this morning I received a reply from a person (not the usual automated reply).
They confirm they have my correct email address ,I have checked spam settings as requested,they appear OK.
My query is being passed to CTC IT section. I await for more.
anniesboy

Post by anniesboy »

This reply from IT to membership seems to explain it .

Derek has a suppression of "no emailings"
still active and that is why he is not receiving it.

What you need to do is book this as a complaint and then make the "no
emailing" suppression historic and create a new suppression of "no
e-marketing". This will mean he will not get any marketing emails but
newsnet will still get through.