Giant SCR 3 - anyone know it..? ....any good?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
360fix

Giant SCR 3 - anyone know it..? ....any good?

Post by 360fix »

This is my entry into serious cycling, leaving my CB Classic Hybrid behind for more mundane duties.

Does anyone know if it is any good? I got it on the recommendation of a respected friend. It hasn't arrived yet but its passed payment so it will be along shortly. Bought it off CycleXpress. Any good? Anyone know how much home assembly is required? They tell me it comes 95% assembled. That leaves 5% to me. I hope it is not the difficult 5%.

Just hope I finish paying for it before it breaks... :roll:
360fix

Post by 360fix »

Yes - well - OK - fine... :oops:

I guess I did it the wrong way round.... should have got the opinions and reviews first and then placed the order. Well it took me ages to find something, so I just went ahead. Hope this hasn't been an expensive mistake. :roll:
mick skinner

Post by mick skinner »

all giant bikes have always seemed like good value sort of machines to me, some of my mates have own various different giants and have no complaints. if they're good enough for ONCE team and german Telecom team, two of the biggest pro teams in europe, you can't really go wrong. anyway most people on here will recommend something crap like a dawes galaxy etc....
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

Mick, you're such a wag!

crap, Dawes Galaxy, ha,ha,ha!!!!! :wink:
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Don't know about the SCR 3. But I've got a 1.5 and it's superb :D :D :D apart form the usual oil a bit here oil a bit there all I've had to do is nip up the rear mech cable a midges, I did find a loose spoke in the back wheel a couple of days ago and tightened that up (carefully)

I'm sure you'll enjoy it

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
360fix

Post by 360fix »

Thanks ferrit worrier, that's very encouraging. :D
hamster

Post by hamster »

One of my regular ride pals has an SCR3, bought 3 years ago. He commutes on it and also uses it for group rides at weekends.

It has been a reliable, fast machine. The wheels are a bit heavy (but very solid for day-to-day work) so he has a set of light ones for the weekend spins out with the lads. The chainset is a bit on the chunky side (steel middle and inner rings) and the middle is worth replacing with an Alu one in due course.

It also has space and lugs for mudguards, which is a bonus for winter riding.

My impression is that it's a nice machine and I wouldn't feel afraid to spend my own cash on one. It's good value.
360fix

Post by 360fix »

Thanks hamster. Another good report. I feel pretty sure now that I have done the right thing. I am a novice cyclist so I am not looking for anything too fancy, just something I can grow into and then maybe trade up or make the modifications you suggest and enjoy it for a few more years. I have another 'thick wheel' bicycle which will be my workhorse run around. I wonder now if you can get a rebate on insurance premium for a second bike on my policy.