Novice needing some advice here..

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Cummings

Novice needing some advice here..

Post by Cummings »

Hi all.

I'm looking to get a new bike. But there seems to be many different types on offer. I'm not going to be crossing continents on it, just keeping fit on an evening and weekends. I don't want a road bike, as I like to go off the roads- but not 'off roading' as such. Just on tracks etc..

I currently have a dual suspension bike, which cost £75 about 4 years ago, new (gasp!). But I feel I need a good one now. It constantly needs repairing, and it weighs a ton!!

So - I've looked on certain websites and wonder what the differences/advantages are on the following off road bikes...

Dual Suspension
Front suspenstion
Urban
Rigid
Free Ride/Downhill
Dirt Jump

What sort of price range should I be looking at etc

As I said, I'm a novice looking to improve....

Thanks in advance.
2Tubs

Post by 2Tubs »

If you’re only cycling on tracks you don’t need dual suspension. You’ll just end up putting a lot of energy into making the bike bounce up and down and less energy in moving forward. That might have an impact on the distances you’re prepared to cycle.

Depending on the amount of road cycling you do compared to riding tracks I’d consider giving the suspended forks a miss too.

But to answer your question. I’d suspect a hardtail MTB, a hybrid or an urban bike would suit your needs. All will suit roads/tracks.

Depending how often you cycle depends how much you might want to spend. But in the world of bikes you pretty much get what you pay for. The more you spend, the better the quality, the more comfortable the ride, the more you ride.

Gazza
Why not Look at Sheila's Wheelers E2E Journal
Or My Personal Site
Or My Tweets
Whatever you do, buy fair trade.
And smile.
Cummings

Post by Cummings »

Thank you for that.

I'm definitely needing a new one, so I may drop the idea of the suspension, as they seem to be the costliest.

I forgot to ask - what is a Hybrid bike (I know the name suggests what it is, but a hybrid of what??)

Thanks

Michael
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

Suspension "done right" adds something on the order of a couple/a few hundred quid to the price per wheel you want suspended. I suggest that for tracks, and provided you treat it with a modicum of respect (don't worry overly about putting it through unavoidable potholes, but equally well, don't aim for them) and don't have plans to get big air, all you probably need is reasonably wide tyres.
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

Hybrid of road and off-road

Might be a road bike with a triple gear at the front (27/30 speeds instead of 18/20) and flat bars, or might be an MTB with smoother tyres, might be somewhere in between.
2Tubs

Post by 2Tubs »

Cummings wrote:Thank you for that.

I'm definitely needing a new one, so I may drop the idea of the suspension, as they seem to be the costliest.

I forgot to ask - what is a Hybrid bike (I know the name suggests what it is, but a hybrid of what??)

Thanks

Michael

A hybrid covers a multitude of bikes really.

From commuters to urban bikes. They are a compromise between an off road and a road bike. As such they’re not suitable for off roading or suitable for racing. But they tend to be comfortable commuters/shoppers/day bikes.

Have a look at Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op Shop - Hybrid Bikes

For an idea of the sort of bike I mean.

I quite like: -

Revolution Courier Nexus

A fairly cheap hub geared (therefore low maintenance) bike.

Gazza
Why not Look at Sheila's Wheelers E2E Journal
Or My Personal Site
Or My Tweets
Whatever you do, buy fair trade.
And smile.
Willpower

Post by Willpower »

You could also consider cyclo cross (cx ) bikes, budget allowing.
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

A friend of mine rides a Revolution Trailfinder and it's fine for off-road that's not too serious. It's worth noting that MTBs until recently didn't have any suspension at all and people did some amazing things with them. Also worth noting that in the Olympic MTB cycling they only had front suspension.

700c wheeled hybrids are OK for tracks, sustrans routes etc but not the best for real off road.

Don't get full-sus unless you're willing to spend more than £1000.
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
Paul Smith SRCC

Post by Paul Smith SRCC »

If you are going ‘off road’ to explore and less interested in pushing your bike skills by cycling along technical tracks as fast or indeed perhaps faster than your ability allows then a ‘Hardtail’ mountain bike as others have mentioned is ideal. Full suspension bikes if designed properly will allow you to push your abilities to the limit, you do of course pay for the privalege, if you think you fall into the category of when you start to lose control you intend to slow down, then apart from the highly technical tracks a hardtail mountain bike will be ideal.

For tow path non technical style tracks then a Hyrbid bike set up with more focus as a trail bike with larger tyres will indeed allow you to cycle "along gravel type tracks". As the name suggest a hyrbid as a hybrid of other bikes so care as needed as some athough still often described as a hybrid are actually a more focused road bike, two examples eachj end of the hybrid spectrum are show below, many manufacturers have both these styles as well as perhaps some inbetween.

Image A Specilized 'Cross Trail' Hyrbid, set up with more focus to be used on trails

Image A Specialized 'Sirrus' Hybrid, set up with more focus to be used on roads, this kind of bike will start to struggle on tracks

Paul_Smith
Paul Smith. 37 Years in the Cycle Trade
My personal cycling blog, Bike Fitter at C & N Cycles
Member of the Pedal Club
Cummings

Post by Cummings »

Everybody, that's really good. Thanks for your input there.

I've got a much better idea of what I'm looking for now.

I may not sound like the novice I am when I go to the shop now.

Thanks again all.
mick skinner

Post by mick skinner »

it might also be worth putting slick tyres on any mountian bike you get, if you're going off road but not doing off roading, it'll make it a lot easier on the paths and the few road you do go on.....