Its now official...

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
bikely-challenged

Re: Dodgy brakes

Post by bikely-challenged »

Firebird wrote:They won't necessarily be real cyclists. They are likely to have been recruited from an agency and may not even be a real family. The ad. agency would hav egot hold of some bikes, not necessarily knowing how to assemble them.

Of course, but doesn't anybody bother with proofreading anymore? I've noticed countless spelling mistakes in all kinds of publications and those news channel tickers along the bottom of the screen are always full of spelling errors. Really obvious ones.

Also, the narration of TV documentaries. Are the scripts never rehearsed or edited? I heard someone say recently that "....Cameron Diaz is the epitome of style". They pronounced it eppy-tome. How does this kind of thing survive post-production? The standards are disgraceful nowadays and getting worse all the time.
-----------------------------------------------------------
DISCLAIMER: The above constitutes my personal opinion only on any given subject. Other opinions are available.
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

Firebird wrote:They won't necessarily be real cyclists. They are likely to have been recruited from an agency and may not even be a real family. The ad. agency would hav egot hold of some bikes, not necessarily knowing how to assemble them.

That's no excuse. Would you have offered the same defence if they had their helmets on back-to-front?
keepontriking

Post by keepontriking »

aesmith wrote:

That's no excuse. Would you have offered the same defence if they had their helmets on back-to-front?

or...think of the uproar if the pamphlet had been produced by a cycling group (perhaps even the CTC) and aimed at motorist safety and it showed a vehicle with missing wheelnuts and no seatbelts.

The loss of credibility would be enormous.

Any defence of using an agency would be roundly ridiculed.
pigman

Post by pigman »

WHOA! before contacting them or the press. The undone quick release looks more like the propstand, picture forshortens it and it coincidentally looks alike a 1/2 done up QR.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pigman wrote:WHOA! before contacting them or the press. The undone quick release looks more like the propstand, picture forshortens it and it coincidentally looks alike a 1/2 done up QR.

I don't think so after looking at the close up again I'd say Q/R lever at a jaunty ankle myself.
Khornight

Post by Khornight »

bikely-challenged wrote:Of course, but doesn't anybody bother with proofreading anymore? I've noticed countless spelling mistakes in all kinds of publications and those news channel tickers along the bottom of the screen are always full of spelling errors.

A journalist friend of mine had an assignment with the bbc for 4 months as the person that writes those tickertap things, for the news they do it on the fly, so proof-reading's not really an option... but there's no excuse for it in publications.

bikely-challenged wrote:Also, the narration of TV documentaries. Are the scripts never rehearsed or edited? I heard someone say recently that "....Cameron Diaz is the epitome of style". They pronounced it eppy-tome. How does this kind of thing survive post-production? The standards are disgraceful nowadays and getting worse all the time.

As documentaries are made very cheaply most will only do the barest minimum of re-takes and rehearsals are rarely more than the reader sitting on their own reading the script through... I worked on one which (and this isn't that rare) didn't actually have a script, just a pad of paper with notes and timestamps.

When it comes down to it though, what do you think would be accepted more, a few spelling/pronouciation/grammer errors or an extra £20 or so on the licence to pay for extra studio time/employees/etc? (or longer advert breaks in the case of the channels not paid for by the licence)
as with most things it's a cost/benefit analysis...
keepontriking

Post by keepontriking »

pigman wrote:WHOA! before contacting them or the press. The undone quick release looks more like the propstand, picture forshortens it and it coincidentally looks alike a 1/2 done up QR.

Its not a prop stand or it would be hidden by the crank, but its definitely forward of it.
(he says looking at the original under a glass).

I would suggest it is a QR lever that was turned to tighten the wheel instead of being clamped in (a common practice).
glueman

Post by glueman »

Reckon the kid's just testing the new Shimano Micro-Wire TM intelligent V brake. It'll make all previous cable systems redundant but you won't be able to use your old levers, bars or gears. Oh, and the routing's different.

If his dad forgot to attach the cable it is nice to know there isn't a big red sticker saying 'Detaching cable can cause serious injury or death! Stop now! Please return bike to a qualified agent or visit youstupidorwhat@huge.corporation.com and download pdf file. Which will run to 312 pages only one and half of which will be in English.
pigman

Post by pigman »

I'll bow to your better judgement on the lever if you say so, but ...

1. The crank is vertical upwards, so I dont see how it would obscure it. A propstand hangs under the bottom bracket.
2. Its a big quick release lever, far bigger in proportion (even allowing for the fact that its a kids bike) than anything I've ever seen.
3. The black blob at the far end of the "lever" looks remarkably like the bit on my kids bikes stands, where it makes contact with the floor.
4. The black bit near the lever cam looks remarkably like the black plastic pivot-nut cover on my kids bikes propstand.
5. Hard to imagine a QR lever on a bike of this calibre.

but, if youre sure, go for it. just didnt want those that issued the ad to counter your claims with a "you got it wrong" smokescreen.
keepontriking

Post by keepontriking »

pigman wrote:I'll bow to your better judgement on the lever if you say so, but ...

1. The crank is vertical upwards, so I dont see how it would obscure it.
A propstand hangs under the bottom bracket.

The 'QR lever' is very clearly in front of the crank on the picture.
Hard to imagine a QR lever on a bike of this calibre.

Regretably far too many cheapo BSOs have them. The nut on the other side is also clear on the original. Unfortunately very few people who buy them in boxes from Halfords/ToysRus and the like have any idea how they are supposed to work.
Many just do them up by turning, which I think is why the lawyers lips were introduced.
:roll:
pigman

Post by pigman »

keepontriking wrote: lawyers lips

not heard that one before - great terminology; whitty, yet says it all
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

pigman wrote:but, if youre sure, go for it. just didnt want those that issued the ad to counter your claims with a "you got it wrong" smokescreen.

The disconnected brake is so blatant I wouldn't worry about the Q/R lever.
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

aesmith wrote:The disconnected brake is so blatant I wouldn't worry about the Q/R lever.

Exactly. Up front, out front, in yer face and should be apparent to anyone. I did wonder how it is that the rider hasnt kicked up about it, then I reflected that there are kids who have become accustomed to putting their feet down to stop...

I notice that the cable goes to the arm on the opposite side of the bike to the lever. On every vbrake of my acquaintance the cable doesnt cross over. Have I just been unobservant?
Ambermile

Post by Ambermile »

Number two kid is likely going to stop in a hurry when his laces get caught but I digress... I'm with the sidestand theory, never seen a QR lever that shape before.

Arthur
I make stuff, that's all.
woollee23

Post by woollee23 »

Good spot - And I fully concur with the view earlier expressed that there would be uproar if a cycling organisation started issuing road safety advice to motorists. Could you imagine the AA or RAC standing for it?