A question for North London cyclists

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
GrumpyGit

A question for North London cyclists

Postby GrumpyGit » 7 Oct 2008, 6:23am

And no whingeing from the provinces please ;)

Bearing in mind that I do not have thighs like Lance Armstrong, or even Victoria Pendleton (ooh no, don't mention Victoria Pendleton's thighs, I need a cold shower, quick nurse, the screens!) how insane would I be to attempt to cycle up Highgate Hill?

The TFL website says I should be able to do Highbury to Highgate in 25 minutes but I think their computer is just calculating A to B distance and not taking the very steep hill into account.
Derek - The enlightened petrolhead ;)

toontra

Postby toontra » 7 Oct 2008, 9:28am

Highgate Hill is quite steep. I use it for commuting fairly often, sometimes with a hefty back-pack or panniers, so it's definitely do-able. And just think how your fitness will improve! A lot of keen cyclists would love to have a decent hill as part of their commute, so you should count yourself lucky.

If it proves too much you could always go up Archway Rd and cut across at the top.

BTW, the TFL website is woefully pessimistic as usual - Highbury to Highgate is more like 15 minutes by bike, thus beating every other mode of transport by a long way, especially at rush hours.

woollee23

Postby woollee23 » 7 Oct 2008, 10:25pm

I'm sure the London Cycling Campaign would have a blog to share your Highgate to Highbury concerns with. Chuck them into your favourite search engine and you should find them straight away.

Just thought I'd mention them as an ex-Londoner now living out in the provinces (and much happier as a result :wink: )

thirdcrank

Re: A question for North London cyclists

Postby thirdcrank » 7 Oct 2008, 10:55pm

GrumpyGit wrote:And no whingeing from the provinces please ;)

No mention of an exemption for ex-Larnarnars. (They're a bit like ex-smokers: those who have given it up and seen the light are the worst. :wink: )

PW

Postby PW » 7 Oct 2008, 10:58pm

Hill? London?? Naah you're imagining it! They even ride fixed down there. :twisted: :twisted:
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 7 Oct 2008, 11:02pm

Are there any hills in London?
I'm not being funny, but hills? How steep are they?
Mick F. Cornwall

workhard

Postby workhard » 7 Oct 2008, 11:47pm

well they have at least two as I used to find Muswell Hill far harder to cycle than Highgate, shorter but steeper, but then Highgate has lots and lots of speed humps.

Maybe we need a new thread to list all the hills in London, but maybe Time Out has beaten us to it here

GrumpyGit

Postby GrumpyGit » 8 Oct 2008, 6:58am

Mick F wrote:Are there any hills in London?

Hi Mick

I found this note in the Grauniad, it doesn't mention the gradient but I'll look for the sign when I go up there this evening and report back.

At least there's a big hospital at the bottom of the hill which I could roll into if the ascent proves too much for me and I collapse :D

workhard

Postby workhard » 8 Oct 2008, 8:38am

it doesn't get a 'peck' mark on the OS map.

Dee Jay

Postby Dee Jay » 8 Oct 2008, 9:54am

thirdcrank wrote:
GrumpyGit wrote:And no whingeing from the provinces please ;)

No mention of an exemption for ex-Larnarnars. (They're a bit like ex-smokers: those who have given it up and seen the light are the worst. :wink: )

I left my adopted city for the provinces ... I love the provinces, but I still love London.

A friend and her son who live in South London are coming to spend a few days with us in Devon. She commutes daily on her bike but encounters no hills. I have told her that she should give Brixton Hill a couple of goes before heading south west.

Re North London Hills: when I lived in London I ran my business off Hornsey Road. We employed two lads in their early twenties: one lived near Alexandra Palace and the other in Muswell Hill. We needed to start work on Sundays at 05.00 hrs (sometimes earlier!) ie before the first bus. We always supplied 'company transport' .... a bike (no gears) which I'd picked up down Brick Lane for £10! (I'd bought it for myself; OK .... so it's taken me nearly 20 years to get cycling! :roll: ). Anyway, one or other of these lads would cycle to work and back on this bike on alternate Sundays. A little while later, when we had enough money, we splashed out on a mountain bike, but the boys still wanted the old (gear less) bike! One of them described it as a 'babe-magnet', as women always chatted him up at traffic-lights using his crazy red-gloss painted 'antique' as the opening gambit! Its nickname was The Ferrari!

Only recently did I realise what pioneers of the 'Cycle to Work' Scheme we were!
Dee

GrumpyGit

Postby GrumpyGit » 8 Oct 2008, 9:57am

workhard wrote:it doesn't get a 'peck' mark on the OS map.

Well, I found this but I think parts of it are steeper.

Just past the famous "Holy Joes" (St Josephs catholic church) whos green dome is a landmark visible from miles away, it looks quite severe.

I have noticed in built up areas there tends to be a lot of detail which obscures the contour lines on OS maps.

emergency_pants

Postby emergency_pants » 8 Oct 2008, 10:27am

Mick F wrote:Are there any hills in London?

I work on Harrow hill, which is fairly steep.

I've also been to Hampstead Heath, which I think is one of the highest points in London.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest_points_in_London is another list of London hills from Wikipedia.

Dee Jay

Postby Dee Jay » 8 Oct 2008, 12:47pm

It's a complete fallacy that London has no hills.

Despite saying that I've only recently cycled after many non-cycling years, I did go - on the aforementioned Ferrari, with a very experienced cyclist who wouldn't let me take the car - to Trafalgar Square to the demonstration on the night before the Gulf War started. Afterwards, as we cycled up Tottenham Court Road - which felt like Snowdon - I was exhausted and shaking, and my friend put out a large hard (he's a big lad) and grabbed me by the scruff of the neck and sort of pulled me as far as Euston Road!

And we made it back to Camden in fits and starts!

:lol:
Dee

Khornight

Postby Khornight » 8 Oct 2008, 2:09pm

GrumpyGit wrote:how insane would I be to attempt to cycle up Highgate Hill?

The TFL website says I should be able to do Highbury to Highgate in 25 minutes but I think their computer is just calculating A to B distance and not taking the very steep hill into account.

Massive overstatement, even if you went very slowly up it, going down it will make up for it...

It's not that hard, just don't give up. It's all in the head, once your mind is steally, your legs will quickley follow :-)

PW wrote:Hill? London?? Naah you're imagining it! They even ride fixed down there.

I've riden over it fixed, after reading a similar thread on another forum, I've decided to visit the various places mentioned:
http://www.londonfgss.com/thread2657.html
By the way the forum isn't family friendly... so if you are offended by swearing don't bother... 4 letter words (particularly beginning with C) are more common than full stops...

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 8 Oct 2008, 3:15pm

Khornight wrote:By the way the forum isn't family friendly... so if you are offended by swearing don't bother... 4 letter words (particularly beginning with C) are more common than full stops...

Thanks for the warning.

A clean forum is a good thing. I am very proud of this one, as I'm sure we all are.
Mick F. Cornwall