Why so many step-through frames?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
kwackers

Postby kwackers » 20 Oct 2008, 6:06pm

meic wrote:Quite a few riders (esp with tandems) will swing their leg over the handlebars in a kind of high kick.

Ok - I know what the problem is.

I'm the most inflexible human being alive, I once did kick boxing for a while but it was embarrassing having my partner hold the pad near his shins.

I've tried to be more flexible, I stretch every day, I think I could kick someone in the knees now.

So there's a good chance I'm on my tod when it comes to swinging my leg over the back wheel.

As for high kicking over the handlebars - that would definitely be a spectator sport.. :lol:

Dee Jay

Postby Dee Jay » 20 Oct 2008, 6:13pm

kwackers wrote:So there's a good chance I'm on my tod when it comes to swinging my leg over the back wheel.

As for high kicking over the handlebars - that would definitely be a spectator sport.. :lol:

You're not on your own ... just did a quick poll and both my children - one boy, one girl - say that they use both ways: leg swing and step-through.

And I do see loads of folks swinging their leg very elegantly over the back wheel whilst gliding off looking rather like Fonteyn or Nureyev ... while I gaze speechlessly at their ability.

Can I just assure everyone that I don't do the latter either?
Dee

mick skinner

Postby mick skinner » 20 Oct 2008, 9:10pm

when you write 'step through frame', do you mean compact geometry?

Genesis Rider

Postby Genesis Rider » 21 Oct 2008, 12:05am

Slowroad wrote: I'm after a reasonably-decent but not too expensive hybrid which will cope with city potholes, canal towpaths and bridleways on day rides and short tours. ...
I will persevere and have fun trying lots of different bikes for size.
Cheers! :)

To me, this is the nub of what you are trying to do, So, go talk to a dealer or two, I know it may sound daft, but you are choosing the dealer almost as much as the bike, I went to 3 in my area before settling on the guys I have been to twice now. I chose them as they advised me based on my criteria. What is right for you may be rubbish for me and vice -versa.

Slowroad

Postby Slowroad » 21 Oct 2008, 8:58am

Mick, by 'step-through frame' I mean something like this:

I'm not familiar with the term 'compact geometry'. Is it what I've called 'squashed' frames? like this (some more so?) i.e., the top tube isn't horizontal. Some even go straight through to the back hub so to me they look a bit like a mixte.

There are so many different shapes of bike frames now! :?

NB. pics are just random ones of Google, not ones I'm specifically interested in.

Kirst

Postby Kirst » 21 Oct 2008, 12:33pm

Slowroad wrote: I'm after a reasonably-decent but not too expensive hybrid which will cope with city potholes, canal towpaths and bridleways on day rides and short tours.

I have an Edinburgh Bicycle Coop Revolution Streetfinder, which is fine for all of that, but it's a stepthrough and my friend loves her Giant Expression DX, but that's also a stepthrough.

One of the reasons some women prefer a stepthrough is that some women cycle wearing skirts, and it's very difficult to throw your leg over the top tube in a skirt. It's even more difficult to do it without showing the world your knickers.
I can handle bars and cycle paths but I can't handle cars and psychopaths

http://action.hopenothate.org.uk/page/s/notinmyname

fatboy

Postby fatboy » 21 Oct 2008, 12:50pm

My wife has a step through and when I've used it with a tag-along it seemed to flex more than a "man's" frame. I think that they can be heavier since it is inherently a weaker structure but there is certainly still a place for them. However there is also a place for women's sized bikes that aren't step through.
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 21 Oct 2008, 12:51pm

There are a lot of older riders around!

When you get to a certain age, it becomes more difficult to kick your legs anywhere - s a step through is more comfortable.

mick skinner

Postby mick skinner » 21 Oct 2008, 4:18pm

i understand, i was just going to say that you shouldn't settle for a mens frame because there are significant differences in the geometry of a quality womens frame and the women i know say that it's worth persevering to find the right fit. sorry i can't be more constructive....