london to portsmouth

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
longhaul

london to portsmouth

Post by longhaul »

Can anyone recommend a good route from London to Portsmouth avoiding the worst bits of the A3, ending up at the ferry port to catch a boat to France?
gar

Re:london to portsmouth

Post by gar »

You would take your life in your hands on any part of the A3.

If you get the London Cycling Campaign series of maps for free you could piece together a route out of London from that, but by the time you had woven your way out, it might be time to come home again.

Sustrans updates might be quite good as they are
always finding slightly better ways.
gar

Post by gar »

The Hampshire CC website is not very helpful.

When you consider that the route for the "pilgrims way" dicussed on an adjoining thread goes all the way to Reigate very quietly, if you have got a hybrid or a metal infit to your tyres then that is quite the most obvious route.

London Cycling maps to get out of London from the very centre!

Head for Reigate then down to Winchester using the Pilgrim map all the way

Then I will have to think again.

Portsmouth is a bit tricky to get to as it is on a narrow bit.
gar

Post by gar »

Go in to Winchester although it seems a little bit too far west.

local.google.co.uk/

http://local.google.co.uk/

This site cannot get round the http so you may have to copy and paste that.

When you are through to local google key in PORTSMOUTH.

Work back with your sensor to Winchester and you will see a Yellow road all the way from Winchester through Twyford down to Portsmouth. I THINK it is a moderately good road for cyclists but check locally first.

I don't know whether you can print out local google map square by square, but do so if you can!

That is a starter for you.
Somebody else will think of much better route
methods.
gar

Post by gar »

1) London Cycling Campaign free maps to Reigate
2) Pilgrims way back road route to Winchester.
3) Local google to Portsmouth
Simon L5

Post by Simon L5 »

this isn't easy, and whenever you deviate from the A3 you add both miles and hills to the route. I do ride on the A3, but I presume that you're not keen.
The 'old A3', now the A307 is a pleasant road, and, when you get to Cobham you take a left at the mini-roundabout in the centre of town and then a right at the church, and then a right at a restaurant called 'L'Auberge'. Continue over the M25, keep right at the 'Hautboy' and go on to East Clandon, thence into Guildford - but bear in mind the A246 is not much fun, and there's a hill to climb.
From Guildford take the A3100 to Godalming (passing the CTC HQ), and then on to Milford and on to the A286 - a pleasant road, but not flat. Just before Haslemere you can branch right on to a B road that heads toward Liss, thence on to the 'old A3' again which is the B2070. You then have to endure a bit of the A3 proper before it splits into the motorway and the A road.
Alternatively you can persist with the A286 into Chichester, go through the centre of town and turn right on the A259. Neither of these roads are unpleasant to cycle on, and the A286 sports my favourite hill, just north of Midhurst, succeeded by a wonderful descent which is best taken with care first time, as there is a (sign-posted) S-bend that can put you in harms way.
Good luck
gar

Post by gar »

Well if you want to get there (and run some risk of not getting there) Simon's route is good.

Some of those roads would be ok in winter time ALL of them hell in summer time.

Nearly all of them very good at 0330 (dawn) on a summer's morning, until about 0730, 0830 on a Saturday or Sunday

If you were well on your way by dawn, it would be acceptable even to an anti traffic man like me.

How far is that all told, Simon 110miles?
malakoffee

Post by malakoffee »

An alternative view :
I would avoid the A286 between Milford and Haslemere at all costs. This road is narrow, has bad sight lines and is hilly. This combination seems to encourage the motorists to do inconsiderate things to cyclists ( and to each other - there is a steady rate of RTAs - some fatal. ).
I regularly ride on the A3 between Milford & Liphook, but the A286 is a definate no-no.

Alternative east :
Milford to Witley, then through the lanes to Haslemere.
Alternative west :
Cross the A3 at Thurlsley (road bridge) then work through Churt & Arford to get down to Petersfield.

AND
From Petersfield. Avoid A3 by cycling to Buriton then cycle or walk up a Son Of A B**** hill that follows through Queen Elisabeth Forest . . . down to Rowlands Castle . . . through Leigh Park . . . to Bedhampton . . . to Drayton(?) top of the Eastern Road . . . Eastern Road Cycle Path down into Portsmouth . . . ferries a couple of miles west from end of easern road endpoint ( or have a cycle along the seafront and work back up towards ferryport ).
There you go :o)
gar

Post by gar »

That last one seems pretty good.
I must do a local google interactive on it
What is on the CTC members reports?
Is that Arlesford you mean? Must be.
gar

Post by gar »

http://local.google.co.uk/
local.google.co.uk/

You can open this at the same time as checking the place names on this message board thread.
Just change/expand window back and forward.

Press and hold mouse on local google to drag the map up and down from here to eternity
gar

Post by gar »

Second link only please.
malakoffee

Post by malakoffee »

Arlesford ?? no, no, that is way too far over.
. . . an opportunity to correct my spelling . ..

Milford
Thursley
Churt
Arford
Headley
Deadwater
Whitehill
Greatham
Petersfield

Aforementioned Son of a B**** hill, south of Buriton, is less emotionally described as a short, very steep hill. At the top it is (pretty much) all downhill to Portsmouth.
Highly recommended.

Cheers M
gar

Post by gar »

local.google.co.uk/

Milford
Thursley
Churt
Arford
Headley
Deadwater
Whitehill
Greatham
Petersfield

Anybody can run them through this link now
using the fourpointed mouse arrow.

Very good route.
longhaul

Post by longhaul »

Thanks for the advice. I like the Pilgrims Way-Winchester idea. I'm not usually bothered about the A3 and cycled along bits of it many times. But I'm going touring in Europe with a Canadian friend this summer and thought the A3 would be a bit of a crap introduction to Europe for a non-European.