Question about One Way Systems ?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
noonoosdad

Question about One Way Systems ?

Post by noonoosdad »

:?: I regularly cycle commute into work and have been doing so for the past two years, rain and shine and throught the seasons. My route takes me on main roads and a cycle path through a large Council estate.
My query concerns one leg of my journey which takes me onto a one way system around the main shopping area. On entering the system the road splits into two lanes and I need the right hand lane so when it's busy I need to position myself early.
My question is this, do I position myself :-
a) on the left in the right hand lane
b) in the centre of the right hand lane
c) position myself well over to the far right hand side of the right lane before reaching the traffic light junction.
At present I feel safer in position c) but would be grateful for some advice and what the official line on this might be please ?
In the words of Jacques Cousteau," Il est tout mon cul et Betty Grable !"
mick skinner

Post by mick skinner »

reading that question on a friday afternoon, i lost concentration half way through. but, do the same as you would if you were driving a car. all it takes is self confidence....
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

Yeah, I do option C. I have been beeped at a bit because I suppose it does look wrong.
I'm pretty sure I looked it up in cyclecraft to make sure it was ok.
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

I have a similar junction on my way home, travelling south on King Street in Stockport (short one way section ) where I need to turn right onto Wood Street, the approach is three lanes wide, (junction controlled by ATS)* I enter the section in the left hand lane move accross to the right hand lane but position myself on the left of the lane so that when I execute the right turn I swing onto the left hand side of the road. I would add that wood street has two lanes and is one way, however if I was needing to turn right after entering wood street I would look at taking a position on the right, therfore avoiding the need to cross the traffic flow.

* not the ladies or the tyre fitters -- Automatic Traffic Signal --Seem to remember this from another tread :lol:

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
Colin63

Post by Colin63 »

I suspect that the 'correct' position is (a) but what is important is safety and I'm sure that the route you currently choose is the safest. Junctions like this need to be treated individually; for some the Highway Code approach may be best, but up against cars and lorries I'd take the route which makes me feel safest and most in control.

I have a colleague whose computer screensaver says 'The Law... Rules for fools and guidance for the wise man'. I like that.
drossall

Post by drossall »

We have a one-way system in town which is basically a triangle of right turns. I position myself in the right-hand lane when entering the system, if turning right at the next apex.
Hector's House

Post by Hector's House »

When using the right lane,i naturally stick to the middle. If i'm at a junction,i'll be in position a. The prob with position a is that it leaves room for traffic to overtake,or be beside you whilst in traffic-position b is clearly the safer.if it's busy i imagine ve traffic will be fairly slow,so you won't be harming anyone! Can't see any point in position c.
drossall

Post by drossall »

I suspect that you can't write one rule for all situations. The lane I am thinking of is too long to sit in the middle and the traffic behind is trying to do 40mph in a 30mph zone. Therefore I take position c, because, entering at a roundabout, I have the choice of one side or the road or the other, and riding to the left would mean crossing two lanes a bit further down.

Taking a mirror image of the primary position does not necessarily mean riding in the middle of the lane.
mick skinner

Post by mick skinner »

what coffee says about getting beeped at; you will, but that's why i now carry a whistle. if the drivers that sound their horn at you were really confident that you don't have the right to be in a certain road position they'd could do a lot worse than beep at you. it's all in the mind.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The information omitted in the OP is the length of the approach.

If you have a one-way street with two lanes, one marked for a left turn and the other right, it ought to be straightforward if you are turning right.

On the other hand, it's not quite as simple as that if that situation persists for hundreds of yards, especially for a slower rider when it can just look like bloody mindedness and made worse if it is a regular journey. I suggest that in that case, it can be better to keep in the nearside lane until you are a bit nearer the split, then with very clear signals move over in stages - out across the nearside lane, eyeball somebody in the offside lane, and move across. Although this can depend on the co-operation of following drivers, that applies to whatever you do in a hostile environment like that and anybody with half a brain can see what you are doing.

Incidentally, something similar did once appear in Leeds a couple of days before a cycling consultation meeting which was addressed by a head honcho, keen to illustrate the city's cycling credentials. I drew his attention to this and the arrows were altered within a couple of days. A rare success and no help with all the similar locations.
Khornight

Post by Khornight »

B is the correct option isn't it? You are a road vehicle and you should be taking up your lane, not trying to find a gutter...

Although as a lot of people have pointed out, in reality, it does depend on the speed of the rider and distance you'll be holding traffic up...

I have a dual carriage way where I feel it's safer to sit in the right lane, car's beep but I ignore them.