Advice on best shoe/pedal combo for touring/commuting?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
lindow_man

Advice on best shoe/pedal combo for touring/commuting?

Postby lindow_man » 11 Nov 2008, 10:51am

Hi. Having resurrected my old touring bike for commuting purposes, & hopefully to start touring again, I'm finally going to ditch the old toeclips & straps and fit clipless pedals. The question is which pedal/shoe combe to go for.

I want to go for recessed cleats to be able to walk properly, so I can't use Look Keos as I have on my road bike. After looking at what is available the most readily available solution is Shimano A520 pedals & RT51 shoes. Does anyone have any advice on alternative pedals for use with recessed cleats, alternative shoes, whether I should use mtb shoes instead, etc, etc?

Si

Postby Si » 11 Nov 2008, 11:05am

Are you bothered whether your shoes look something like proper leather every day shoes when off the bike, or do you not mind that they look more like multicoloured sporty shoes/traners ?

lindow_man

Postby lindow_man » 11 Nov 2008, 11:18am

Si wrote:Are you bothered whether your shoes look something like proper leather every day shoes when off the bike, or do you not mind that they look more like multicoloured sporty shoes/traners ?

I'm more than happy to embrace any modern techno-flashy aesthetics. Not for me the dogged adherence to the leather flying helmet and black alpaca jacket with suede elbow patches.

Si

Postby Si » 11 Nov 2008, 12:06pm

In that case the RT51s should be fine...only draw back with this style is that the mesh sections can let water through.

If you want something that are little more suited to walking/hiking then there are the MT90 shoes- meant to be nice an water proof yet breathable. But, of course, it's always a trade off: for walking you want a less stiff sole, or cycling you want a more stiff sole.

the SH-T071 are more of a road riding shoe that you can walk in and seem OK.

zenzinnia

Postby zenzinnia » 11 Nov 2008, 12:14pm

The Exustar Stelvios are getting very good reviews as a touring show at the moment. http://www.bikeplus.co.uk/ seem to be doing them with some money off some compatable pedals.

PW

Postby PW » 11 Nov 2008, 12:24pm

Those compatible pedals will last about 1400 miles per pair, I tried some.
Time ATACs are my favourites, plenty of float, nice platform size, no bother getting in/out and the mechanism is simple so it weighs not much and there's less to go wrong.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!

brianleach

Postby brianleach » 11 Nov 2008, 1:16pm

Another vote for Exustar Stelvios

Bought a pair last August and wore them straight out of the box on a long weekend tour.

Very comfortable and reasonably easy to walk in.

Brian

NUKe

Postby NUKe » 11 Nov 2008, 2:39pm

I use A520 pedals and really like them

Shoes are a personal thing and you need to try a few on to find one that is comfortable. My own choice are Specialized MTB having a broad foot.
NUKe

meic

Postby meic » 11 Nov 2008, 4:14pm

I use Shimano A520s and Shimano Sandals.
The sandals dry out nice and quickly, can be worn as normal footwear, can save on carrying socks in the summer. You do get a funny shape sun tan though.
The sandals can be worn into the cold season if you use goretex or sealskin socks. These also dry quicker than wet shoes.
Yma o Hyd

AndyB

Postby AndyB » 11 Nov 2008, 4:33pm

I've got, and like) the A530's and Specialized MTB shoes. I also take sandals or running shoes, depending on the weather, and occasionally use those on the flat side (going out for dinner, down to the beach, etc.). I understood that the A530's had a more usable flat side than the A520's.

meic

Postby meic » 11 Nov 2008, 4:44pm

The 520 is a single sided pedal, platform to be used with cleats on one side of the pedal.
The platform is to give extra support while riding with the cleats.
I couldnt stand to ride the 520 without cleats.
The 530 is two sided, cleats one side, platform on the other.
Yma o Hyd

speedsixdave

Postby speedsixdave » 11 Nov 2008, 9:13pm

Not very fashionable but I use Lidl shoes and clipless pedals for the daily commute. Each about £15. Pedals are the SPD-one-side / flat-pedal-t'other sort, and are ok, although they creak a bit. No complaints otherwise.

The shoes have a bit more orange on than I would really like for everyday footwear, but are excellent otherwise. I've worn out so many pairs of expensive adidas, Sidi and Specialized shoes just going to work and wandering around, and thought the Lidl shoes would just be a cheap option, but they're also really hard-wearing and comfortable enough that I don't notice them. I suppose I've worn them for about 200-300 days now and there's plenty of life in them yet. Which, for £15, is not bad at all.

My advice, in a nutshell: SPD/flat pedals, so you can ride to work in your work-boots or wellies if necessary. Then cheap shoes for commuting, because you will wear them out fast if you're actually wearing them.

Also: if you find some shoes you really like and that fit you well, buy four pairs before they become discontinued and they change the soles. And further to that, if anyone has a pair of adidas Furkas (c. 1996) in a 44/10.5, I'll pay through the nose for them.
Big wheels good, small wheels better.
Two saddles best!

drossall

Postby drossall » 12 Nov 2008, 7:41pm

I've found Shimano trainer-style shoes and SPDs fine for touring and Audaxes. I use them for exactly the reason you say - you can walk in them. I use Looks on racing bikes, but they'd be no good for your purpose.

rogerzilla

Postby rogerzilla » 12 Nov 2008, 8:05pm

Shimano RT51 shoes look racy but take normal SPD cleats. You'll need overshoes if it's wet though - they're made from suede with perforated bits.

DavidT

Postby DavidT » 12 Nov 2008, 9:15pm

I use the Shimano MD520 double sided SPD. Officially MTB but good for my road bike.

Shoes are Shimano RT30 - 3 years old. Look quietly sporty, but leak like anything (although dry quickly too!). However the upper tongue section is completely non breathable which is a bit naff IMHO. No problems with the stability though, have walked me around various EH/NT sites on uneven surfaces.

Very happy with the pedals and using SPD since making the transition.

Haven't found an effective overshoe yet, so am also using the Seal Skinz socks which seem pretty good.