Cycling with children

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Sha

Cycling with children

Post by Sha »

Hello, I'm looking for advice about cycling with children, particularly at the moment cycling when it's cold. We've got a Triplet (bike, not children), and this morning I did about 10 kms with my 7 year old, and when we got home his hands and feet were so painful he's told me he never wants to see another bicycle in his life! Besides piling on the layers, does anyone have any good advice? I'd also be interested in any good addresses where we can kit him out? Thanks, Sha
crs1953

Re:Cycling with children

Post by crs1953 »

Small children are unable to regulate their body tempeatures anywhere near as efficiently as adults Children may not be aware of cold temperatures. Parents need to understand the ways in which the body loses heat and:

Limit the amount of time a child is out in cold, wet, or windy weather.
Dress children appropriately for the weather conditions. Remember C-O-L-D:

C

Cover your child's head, neck and face as much as possible since a lot of heat loss can occur in these areas. These areas are also at risk for frostnip or frostbite. Apply lip protection.

O

Overexertion (being too active) can cause your child to sweat and chill more quickly. Sweating causes clothing to become damp and increases heat loss.

L

Layers of clothing will keep your child warm and protect your child best against wind and cold conditions.

D

Dry is key in preventing cold injury. Keeping your child dry with waterproof clothing reduces heat loss.
Keep close watch on your children's body heat even in the summer when they are swimming in a lake or pool for a long time.

Hope this is helpful
Karen Sutton

Post by Karen Sutton »

Children's Ski gloves are good, better than ordinary ones. My daughter has a Buff, they do them in Junior sizes. The polar buff is great as it is half thin wicking fabric, half micro fleece.
See www.buffera.co.uk

Karen
Sha

Post by Sha »

Yes, I've seen the Buff and they look pretty good for putting under a helmet too. I'll be off to the shops this weekend I think...
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Keep them moving!

Sitting with hands on bars is not going to keep them warm. Make sure they are exercising even if it is just waving at people and dogs!

Also makes an intersting game as you can choose the next "target" !
Sha

Post by Sha »

We went out this weekend with more layers on the feet, ski gloves, a Buff under the helmet and it was much better. We're getting there.