frosty mornings too cautious?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
kwackers

Postby kwackers » 4 Dec 2008, 9:54am

pigman wrote:
allen-uk wrote:I reckon that the phrase 'Global Warming' was one of the worst-chosen in history.

Either: people think, Oh, that's alright, a bit of extra sunshine and higher temperatures.

Or: on the other hand, where is Global Warming on days like these, when you can't venture out on your bike?

A.

youre right. May seem a bit pedantic and insignificant, but for a cool-to-moderate climate, the term global warming signifies improvement, not threat. Therefore, its easy to welcome it.

It could also mean much colder winters and much wetter summers for us. Not that great then is it?

Trouble is we don't know what it means which in my book simply highlights the stupidity of our actions. Bit like shutting your eyes, stepping out into the road and hoping for the best.

rualexander

Postby rualexander » 7 Dec 2008, 5:51pm

Been out today with the studded tyres on although there has been a bit of a thaw today, I did come across a few icy patches and one lane which was largely sheet ice for several hundred metres. The verdict is that the studs make a big difference, but the Schwalbe Snow Studs don't get much grip on sheet ice until you drop the pressure as they advise, then they are quite good. My Nokian Hakapelitta W106 front tyre gripped well and even allowed careful braking on the ice. Still had to be careful though and had a couple of close calls due to ruts. I think if buying again I would go for something with studs across the full width of the tyre front and rear such as the Hakapelitta W240 or the new Schwalbe Marathon Winter.

lauriematt

Postby lauriematt » 10 Dec 2008, 9:42am

rogerzilla wrote:It's always worth adding 30 seconds to your commute on cold mornings by tiptoeing slowly round corners - much better than scraping your shiny bike and getting road rash.

30 secs....more like 30 mins :lol:
my commute is just under 9miles....takes me half-hour in the summer. last few days have had heavy frost and ice on the road where theres normally puddles of water. took me 55mins to get in this morning cycling very gingerly. :lol:

...came off the hybrid twice last week in one night...have changed for the time being to the mountain bike
WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU .... CAN ONLY MAKE YOU STRONGER

squeaker

Postby squeaker » 10 Dec 2008, 10:51am

resus1uk wrote:Took to the trike this morning on packed ice with a fine layer of snow. I couldn't get on or stay on the two wheeler MTB as no local roads were salted.
ICE 'S' for me when it's icy :wink:
"42"

zenzinnia

Postby zenzinnia » 10 Dec 2008, 5:08pm

I went over again this morning. My own fault really. I had decided to take main roads but got delayed so had to take a shirt cut. A stream of some sort had decided to cover the whole road in ice. I got of and walked down the hill but decided to try my luck once there was open flowing water (plan was to ride down this) but I went over after about 10 seconds. New road rash right on top of the lot I picked up last week going over on a bit of black ice two corners from home.

zenzinnia

Postby zenzinnia » 10 Dec 2008, 5:10pm

kwackers wrote:
pigman wrote:
allen-uk wrote:I reckon that the phrase 'Global Warming' was one of the worst-chosen in history.

Either: people think, Oh, that's alright, a bit of extra sunshine and higher temperatures.

Or: on the other hand, where is Global Warming on days like these, when you can't venture out on your bike?

A.

youre right. May seem a bit pedantic and insignificant, but for a cool-to-moderate climate, the term global warming signifies improvement, not threat. Therefore, its easy to welcome it.

It could also mean much colder winters and much wetter summers for us. Not that great then is it?

Trouble is we don't know what it means which in my book simply highlights the stupidity of our actions. Bit like shutting your eyes, stepping out into the road and hoping for the best.

That's why I try and use the term 'dangerous climate change' - much less specific about what the change is and includes more chaotic weather systems as well as average global temp rise and amplified local variations etc.

cranky1

Postby cranky1 » 10 Dec 2008, 6:23pm

I came off on Sunday going at a snails pace luckily no cars around just an amused dog walker.

But any way do you think that cycling in icy conditions is dangerous ? I do, and is it then a crime?---- This is from the road traffic act 1990

28 Dangerous cycling (1) A person who rides a cycle on a road dangerously is guilty of an offence.
(2) For the purposes of subsection (1) above a person is to be regarded as riding dangerously if (and only if)—
(a) the way he rides falls far below what would be expected of a competent and careful cyclist, and
(b) it would be obvious to a competent and careful cyclist that riding in that way would be dangerous.
(3) In subsection (2) above “dangerous” refers to danger either of injury to any person or of serious damage to property; and in determining for the purposes of that subsection what would be obvious to a competent and careful cyclist in a particular case, regard shall be had not only to the circumstances of which he could be expected to be aware but also to any circumstances shown to have been within the knowledge of the accused.”
Be carefull out there.

UrbanManc

Postby UrbanManc » 10 Dec 2008, 7:02pm

cranky1 wrote: what would be obvious to a competent and careful cyclist in a particular case, regard shall be had not only to the circumstances of which he could be expected to be aware but also to any circumstances shown to have been within the knowledge of the accused.”

So, if you know it dangerous .. you shouldn't do it :roll:

Surely that applies to all road users then.

Marin Maniac

Postby Marin Maniac » 11 Dec 2008, 9:44am

Came off again today after doing 20 odd miles on the roads I reverted to using a cycle path for the last part of my route and bam!

I think thats my lot for the winter, its just not worth the risk for me coming off on the road with cars/lorrys about.

Till spring time!

peter236uk

re

Postby peter236uk » 11 Dec 2008, 10:28am

I wont commute in on the frosty mornings as the country roads are just to dangerous so I give it a rest

jawaka

Postby jawaka » 11 Dec 2008, 12:43pm

trouble is with caution that i've been out once only in 2 weeks. i set off about 8.30 normally. we had 3 inches of snow last week the sides of the road had ice despite gritting. heavy frost this morning and the pavement was lethal. other days it has been frankly too raw to venture out, the sort of cold biting wind that numbs your face imediately on sticking your nose outside the door. i figure that if i come off and hurt myself i might be out for a while so remain cautious. 3 yers ago i hit a patch of frost in early afternoon: the houses had shaded the sun from this patch of road. i said to myself" tippy toe here" and next thing was on the ground with 2 cracked ribs. i did keep riding but heck was it painful to sneeze for up to 3 weeks after.

allen-uk

Postby allen-uk » 11 Dec 2008, 1:24pm

Yet another example of how soft and spoilt we Southreners are, I'm afraid. We only see snow on TV programmes about the North, and if there IS any ice on our roads, the servants soon run out and scrape it off for us.

A.