Hit by a car on one way street

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Vicc

Hit by a car on one way street

Post by Vicc »

I'm new to cycling and in order to take a short cut I rode up a one way street unknowingly in the wrong direction this morning. There was a car waiting to join the one way system at an adjoining road and as I passed in front of it the driver hit me. I now realise that I wasn't obeying the code and shouldn't have been riding up that road in the wrong direction. I've hurt my leg and shoulder slightly, but my bike is a complete right off as it went below the car. The man who hit me said he would pay for it, but I'm beginning to think I'm the one who's in the wrong and therefore it's my problem.

The facts are :- I was riding up a one way street in the wrong direction on the left hand side of the road. The man in the car didn't look both directions when pulling out onto the one way street.

Have I any rights?
2Tubs

Re: Hit by a car on one way street

Post by 2Tubs »

Vicc wrote:I'm new to cycling and in order to take a short cut I rode up a one way street unknowingly in the wrong direction this morning. There was a car waiting to join the one way system at an adjoining road and as I passed in front of it the driver hit me. I now realise that I wasn't obeying the code and shouldn't have been riding up that road in the wrong direction. I've hurt my leg and shoulder slightly, but my bike is a complete right off as it went below the car. The man who hit me said he would pay for it, but I'm beginning to think I'm the one who's in the wrong and therefore it's my problem.

The facts are :- I was riding up a one way street in the wrong direction on the left hand side of the road. The man in the car didn't look both directions when pulling out onto the one way street.

Have I any rights?

Not really.

You might argue that he should've been looking.

But equally, he'd have been looking for other traffic, and he wouldn't expect it to be coming from your direction.

I'd write that one of as a bad experience. Especially as when the driver talks to his mates, they'll be saying the same thing, that it's your own fault. He'll soon change his mind in favour of his wallet and you won't have a leg to stand on in court. In fact, if there's any damage to his car, he'd soon be seeking damages.

Gazza
Why not Look at Sheila's Wheelers E2E Journal
Or My Personal Site
Or My Tweets
Whatever you do, buy fair trade.
And smile.
Vicc

Post by Vicc »

2Tubs wrote:
You might argue that he should've been looking.

But equally, he'd have been looking for other traffic, and he wouldn't expect it to be coming from your direction.

I'd write that one of as a bad experience. Especially as when the driver talks to his mates, they'll be saying the same thing, that it's your own fault.

That's what I was thinking. Is the UK the only country in the EU that doesn't open up one way systems, both directions, for cyclists?

2Tubs wrote:He'll soon change his mind in favour of his wallet and you won't have a leg to stand on in court. In fact, if there's any damage to his car, he'd soon be seeking damages.

Gazza

:oops:
pigman

Post by pigman »

like you, my conscience says youre at fault. and hats off to you for admitting responsibility. But, he should have been looking both ways. What if you had been a child crossing the road with no concept of safety, or even a child cycling. The driver should ALWAYS look ALL WAYS before manoeuvering.
Hows about you contact him, explain your thoughts and see if he might want to contribute a %age, or for him to send a nominal donation to a charity as a gesture of goodwill. He sounds a reasonable chap - not the usual anti-cyclist ranter.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

I wouldn't go as far as to say it's your fault - I think it's a fair 50/50.
He should've been looking, you shouldn't have been cycling along it.

I'd call it quits. Personally I wouldn't be averse to using a one way st the wrong way, but only with extreme caution. I certainly wouldn't cycle past a junction - particularly with a car nearby.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Sorry to hear about your accident and I hope you are soon on the mend.

Frankly, I'm amazed that he's offered to pay and I expect that if goes down the insurance route then that's just not going to happen.
Vicc

Post by Vicc »

an update on the situation:

He has just phoned me asking if I'm OK and said he's going to pay for my bike. Just hope he doesn't change his mind. Thankfully, I have no serious injuries, just a few bruises and a few days off work. I'm still wondering what would have happened had he sped out of the junction onto the one way system. I certainly wouldn't be sitting here typing this up. :!:

kwackers wrote:Personally I wouldn't be averse to using a one way st the wrong way, but only with extreme caution. I certainly wouldn't cycle past a junction - particularly with a car nearby.

I'll think twice the next time, but the one way system cut out 15 mins of cycling for me. As for the car parked at the junction, I know for again. It's safer on the footpaths if you were allowed to ride them.

Thanks all for putting me straight on things. :)
Si

Post by Si »

It's safer on the footpaths if you were allowed to ride them.

Not necessarily - accident rates are quite high for people who cycle on footpaths - especially when rejoining the road.

However, if it cuts loads of time off your journey then why not get off and push along the one-way street's footpath?
Vicc

Post by Vicc »

Si wrote:
However, if it cuts loads of time off your journey then why not get off and push along the one-way street's footpath?

That's an option, but I'm afraid the accident has put me off cycling around towns/cities. I've only started cycling to work this week, it's been my third day and I'm finished with it. Cycling on straight roads, etc, are fine, but I've had my share in and around towns and cities.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Vicc wrote:That's an option, but I'm afraid the accident has put me off cycling around towns/cities. I've only started cycling to work this week, it's been my third day and I'm finished with it. Cycling on straight roads, etc, are fine, but I've had my share in and around towns and cities.

That's a shame. I love cycling to work. We only have one car at home, and today I needed it to nip somewhere this morning, so I dropped my other half off at the station and did my stuff. On the way back I drove past work to home, parked the car up and cycled back to work.

There are techniques which will make you a lot safer, plus you'll simply feel safer once you've been doing it for a while.
There's no harm (or shame) in looking for a local bike training course and having a go on that, they'll teach you to control the traffic around you and the big no no's.

Don't give up just yet! (Summer will be here soon :wink: )
pigman

Post by pigman »

shame youre packing up. You appear to have hit the learning curve quick and hard. One of the outcomes will be your learning of survival techniques and consequences. you'll probably know now what many seasoned commuters dont. I say keep going armed with your vastly increased knowledge and experience. Things will get better. The physical exercise will get easier as you become in tune with the bike and you'll get healthier and own a thicker wallet.
Go on give it another crack!
vernon

Post by vernon »

Vicc wrote:I'm new to cycling and in order to take a short cut I rode up a one way street unknowingly in the wrong direction this morning. There was a car waiting to join the one way system at an adjoining road and as I passed in front of it the driver hit me. I now realise that I wasn't obeying the code and shouldn't have been riding up that road in the wrong direction. I've hurt my leg and shoulder slightly, but my bike is a complete right off as it went below the car. The man who hit me said he would pay for it, but I'm beginning to think I'm the one who's in the wrong and therefore it's my problem.

Have I any rights?

Do you have any driving/motorcycling experience as I find it quite difficult to comprehend how you can unwittingly enter a one way system? There's normally lots of signage to indicate no entry and the direction of traffic flow.

The man in the car shouldn't have had to check in both directions as there should not be any traffic approaching from the wrong direction. A cursory glance for pedestrians perhaps but not traffic.

You have been very lucky to have him offer to pay for your bike. Can you accept the money with a clear conscience? Have you enquired about the damage to his car and offered to pay for any paint touch ups?

I wouldn't let the experience put you off. Try to get some cycle training. I enjoy cycling in urban areas. You just need to keep your wits about you and be observant to survive. There's plenty of good advice in Franklin's Roadcraft thought I'd not slavishly follow all of its advice.
iaincullen

Post by iaincullen »

Sorry to hear about your accident but consider whether you need to give up cycling. There are techniques which make urban cycling relatively safe.

www.amazon.co.uk/City-Cycling-Richard-B ... 1905005601

Has a good section on city cycling techniques.

Cyclecraft by John Franklin is another guide worth reading.

There's online sources too.

www.kenkifer.com/bikepages/traffic/accident.htm

I've been commuting by bike on and off for years and never had an accident.* A recent poll here showed that a fair percentage of cyclists average more than 8000 miles between injury accidents

Ken Kifer's 5 rules are a good starting point

"1) obey the traffic laws, 2) keep alert (watch for the other's guy's mistakes), 3) be visible, 4) take the least travelled way, and 5) keep the bike in good repair. "

* I'm not counting slow speed off road MTB falls and a couple of falls when I started using clip in pedals. I've never been injured in a bike accident.
paulah

Post by paulah »

Vicc wrote: As for the car parked at the junction, I know for again. It's safer on the footpaths if you were allowed to ride them.

Not necessarily, if you had been on the pavement and were crossing either the side road or the one-way street on the foot, the driver might still have hit you because he didn't look in your direction.
cranky1

Post by cranky1 »

It sounds as if the driver has been a bit shaken by this, knocking sombody over and crushing a bike would be a pretty traumatic experience. Remember not all drivers are Clarkson personified. You should phone him ask how he is and tell him that it's ok about the bike.

Don't give up your commute however just proceed with caution in future.
Be carefull out there.