Thermos Flask

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
bikepacker

Thermos Flask

Post by bikepacker »

Somewhere I have seen an unbreakable stainless thermos flask that fits snuggly into a normal bike bottle carrier. I have look in vain in shops and on the internet and cannot find one. Does anyone know the make and model of the one that fits the criteria?
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
byegad

Post by byegad »

I bought mine a Tecsos. I've had two as the first one died after I dropped it for the umpteenth time! The bottom fell off! They are strong just don't have it jump out of a bottle cage at 30mph!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CycleFan

Post by CycleFan »

I got one, but they are a bit pricey! Good thing christmas is coming up!
kevinn123

Post by kevinn123 »

zenzinnia

Post by zenzinnia »

I think there used to be an ad in the back of 'Cycle' but I'm without my copy just now.
awparker

Post by awparker »

I cannot help with a thermos flask that fits directly into a bottle cage but I manage as follows (Adapted from a previous post of mine)

Many discount and outdoor shops sell small thermos (vacuum) flasks holding about 1/3 litre for about £5. Find one that is just has a diameter just less than a traditional plastic cycle bottle. Cut the whole top off the plastic bottle so that the flask will fit snuggly inside the remaining bottom part. If it is a very tight fit you may need to drill a small air release hole in the plastic bottle in order to remove the thermos flask for washing.

This now fits exactly in the bottle holder on the bike, does not rattle and I can have a hot drink whether or not I reach a cafe.

Hope this helps

Alan
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

That's a good idea. :)
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
robgul

Post by robgul »

If you are near an Ikea they have them at knock-out price - it is slightly too thin to fit in a bottle cage - I cut (at the top of the wide part) an old plastic bidon to fit mine in, it then fits the cage OK. The alternative is to get a neoprene cover, and that will double insulate the flask and fit snugly in the cage.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
bodach

Post by bodach »

Try any major supermarket. They all have a variety of sizes. I got mine in Asda
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

I have a 'Thermos' brand stainless steel vacuum flask (0.5 litre I think) which I have had for over ten years and it fits perfectly in my bike bottle cage. The current versions of it can be seen on page 35 of the following pdf :

http://storage.fantasticmedia.co.uk/Thermos_section.pdf

Their 'Everyday Sports bottle' looks interesting with interchangeable tops, one for flask use and one for insulated bottle use. No sizes given though so not sure if it would fit a bottle cage but you would think it would if designed for sports use.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

TKMaxx always have a pretty big selection of vacuum flasks although I've never looked for one to fit a bottle cage. Fwiw I should have thought the capacity would be small. I've been pleased with one of those Bike Buddy things.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

The flask I mentioned above is available from e-bay for £9.00 :

http://tinyurl.com/5mup5o

Give them a call and ask if it fits a standard bottle cage.
random37

Post by random37 »

My waterbottles came with padded, insulated covers to keep the contents hot or cold.
You can have one of the covers for an SAE, if you want to try it out.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

thirdcrank wrote:TKMaxx always have a pretty big selection of vacuum flasks although I've never looked for one to fit a bottle cage. Fwiw I should have thought the capacity would be small. I've been pleased with one of those Bike Buddy things.

A bikebuddy being a QR method of attaching any thermos-sized cylinder to your bottle cage bolts. The website at www.bikebuddy.co.uk is now working.
Last edited by andrew_s on 16 Dec 2008, 6:03pm, edited 1 time in total.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Last time I was in Wilkinsons thay had some complete with a bottle cage for £4.99 so a trip to your local Wilkos should do the job.