tracking

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
wheneverican

tracking

Postby wheneverican » 12 Dec 2008, 5:03pm

I have a project that i need help with....
I am cycling the LEJOG in the spring and have the support (for fundraising) of a few primary schools. They are having a non uniform day and i am going in to take a school assembly and tell them about the trip.
I would really like for them to be able to chart my progress day by day. I can send them an email from my phone of what happened the previous day but it would be quite neat if they could log on to some website and actually see a live pinpoint of where i am. Or even embed a web window in my website.
I'm not sure it helps but i have GB memory map plus topo GB software and also an Edge 605, and of course a phone. If there is anything that can take advantage of that technology then great - but if not any ideas...

Thanks
Simon

lauriematt

Postby lauriematt » 13 Dec 2008, 11:26am

wheneverican wrote:
that is soo spooky. I have just posted a new topic somewhere else on the forum about the same thing!
I am doing the LEJOG next spring and "need" a primary school to be able to see my progress a few times a day.
I have a phone and a GPS, memory map of GB plus topo GB so am trying to think how all this can talk to each other and delivery a pinpoint location of where i am! Most of this technology seems to involve you calling a mobile number and then it relaying a GPS waypoint back that can be pinned to a map - too complicated for me and the school.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Simon

i use http://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/main/index.do to record a route i have cycled....and you can simply upload it wirelessly to your account.

i dont think you could run it all day showing your location because of battery useage...but im sure if you had a play with it you could update your location 2 - 3 times a day
WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU .... CAN ONLY MAKE YOU STRONGER