Which Front Rack

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
rualexander

Postby rualexander » 11 Jan 2009, 11:22pm

This is the sort of rack I was thinking I had seen somewhere with multiple loading options :

http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/products. ... 2625&rs=gb

brianleach

Postby brianleach » 12 Jan 2009, 8:22am

The sort of thing I was looking for but a bit on the large side for my needs.

Probably more useful to someone touring off the beaten track as looks easy to repair. Not sure about the Blackburn in this respect but hopefully won't have to put this to the test.

Brian

patricktaylor

Postby patricktaylor » 12 Jan 2009, 9:40am

wallyone wrote:... not all bags will fit on to custom lowriders because the mounting fittings will not go in the space between the two mounting rails ... I needed to "sculpt" Carradice hooks to fit.

My touring bike came with Blackburn Custom Low-Rider front racks. I haven't fitted them yet, but already I think I can see that my Altura Orkney panniers aren't going to fit. This has been mentioned before - the double top bars of the rack are welded together at the front and then they splay apart to go either side of the fork blade. It doesn't look as if the front hook on the pannier will fit over the front part of the mounting bars where they are close together. I would imagine this applies to other panniers as well.

I will probably be looking for new front racks.

brianleach

Postby brianleach » 12 Jan 2009, 12:55pm

Unfortunately I have been too busy to fit the rack yet although it sits looking accusingly at me but it is definitely is not a low rider.

This would mean that most front panniers should fit but of necessity it sits higher up the forks which may not be everyone's cup of tea.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Blac ... -15294.htm

As I have said it fits the bill for my purposes.

Brian

brianleach

Postby brianleach » 9 Feb 2009, 5:28pm

Just to update anyone interested.

At long last I have fitted the Blackburn rack and at the weekend went shopping with the Ortlieb front panniers attached.

Worked very well. Panniers fitted with no problems and centre of gravity not too high. Also steering manageable.

The flat rack in front does seem to cry out for a post sack!! but otherwise can recommend this set up.

Brian

PW

Postby PW » 10 Feb 2009, 9:31pm

Mine is something similar, but simpler. I stuck with the old design because my previous touring frame used to shimmy if I fitted low riders. The old style also provides a mounting point for headlights away from panniers, barbag and (if necessary) cape.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!