cycling Christmas Day

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
p_pitstop

cycling Christmas Day

Post by p_pitstop »

As we have had a busy year and will be on our own on Christmas day we thought we would go out on a tandem ride. So is this a good idea or will many car drivers be under the influence of too much xmas cheer ? Also will any pubs be open to warm up/dry out/have a small beverage ?
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

Many moons ago I went out for a bike ride with my then in-laws and yes pubs were open in the morning. It was good but there were still plenty of idiots about on the road. Great way to spend Xmas and I wish that I could.
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
random37

Post by random37 »

I always go for a ride on Christmas day. Go out and enjoy yourself, it makes dinner taste better.
mick skinner

Post by mick skinner »

some christmases i've gone out riding on the day and yes, i've also found that there are just as many inconsiderate drivers out and about. so much for the christmas spirit!

over the year i've become a convert to cross country mountain biking, so if i do go out riding this christmas day it will well and truely off road. awesome!
Big T

Post by Big T »

I've found that if you get out early on Christmas day, the roads are relatively quiet, but by 11ish, everyones unwrapped their presents and are on their way to see their relatives (by car of course).
noonoosdad

Post by noonoosdad »

:D I shall actually be working an Afternoon shift on Christmas Day and Boxing Day i.e. 3pm - 11pm then 4pm till 2am on Saturday and Sunday.
I'm quite looking forward to cycling in on Christmas Day. Generally speaking, I normally find the roads a bit quieter on Christmas Day but obviously one has to watch out for the odd miscreant who decides to drive after consuming copious amounts of 'Shwally-hay-juice'.
*** That said, I hope everyone has a Happy and Safe time over this Yuletide Season ***
In the words of Jacques Cousteau," Il est tout mon cul et Betty Grable !"
p_pitstop

Post by p_pitstop »

OK - we are going to go for it though I'm not sure we will be out for hours - I like the idea of it making dinner taste better, but if we are both out cycling who is going to cook it ? :shock:
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

p_pitstop wrote:OK - we are going to go for it though I'm not sure we will be out for hours - I like the idea of it making dinner taste better, but if we are both out cycling who is going to cook it ? :shock:

If you know where you are going why not give the pub a ring to see if they are open.
NUKe

Post by glueman »

A few years ago I went for a ride on Christmas day in dense freezing fog. Really strange. I gave up when an old girl wandered in front of me and nearly put us both in casualty.
Amazing how easily one can become completely disoriented on unfamiliar lanes in those conditions.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Put the turkey in on a slow oven and go out, it will be cooked when you get home, (or turn it up) then you only have to do the veg :lol:

Having frequently got away from it all by hostelling at Xmas we were always out on the bikes on Xmas day. There's always somewhere open.
One year the package did not inc a packed lunch but we filled up well at brekkie, then I led them over the 1:5 Long Mynd to much protesting ( :lol: ) then found a pub serving platters of mince pies as well the usual cheer. The locals were not partaking of the mince pies, they were off home to late lunch, but hungry cyclists will devour anything.

There used to be at least one hostelry in the lakes that was always open on Xmas day with full lunch time menu available.

On other Xmas days have worked, so have really enjoyed the ride in, early shift on Xmas is great, as virtually no one else is out except a strange vehicle in the sky being towed by flying reindeer. :lol:

Personally I feel there is not much daylight hours on Crimbo so get out whilst you can, make the most of the day's holiday and eat once it is dark.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
cbgb

Post by cbgb »

I wouldnt worry too much about drink drivers at this time of year. I know that sounds crazy but i believe that regular drink drivers are drive less at this time of year due to increased Police presence. I think your more at risk on a weekend night in July when the beer gardens etc are full.
E.C.Ryder

Post by E.C.Ryder »

Here in Essex the Chelmsford Group always have a Christmas ride called the Appetiser Run, I think it the Rose & Crown in Great Waltham this year. Not that I will be riding with them, but I will be out on my own for a short spin like I always do, tinsel and all.
p_pitstop

Post by p_pitstop »

Well we only did about 40 miles but we had a great time, everyone was in a good mood smiling and waving and even the odd bit of A road was sooo much nicer than normal. On the way back we found a pub with a roaring fire and comfy sofas. The pheasant took less than an hour to cook when we got back and it was a lovely day.

In fact I'd like to cycle on Xmas day every year. Friends and family are happy to see you all year round (hopefully) but there are not many days of the year when the roads are so empty. I will have to work on my partner for next year as I expect he will feel guilty and want to revert to the family Xmas experience again.
kim

Post by kim »

that does it next christmas im doing it too it sounds great!!!!!
braz

Post by braz »

Christmas Day - riding from Mauron to Questembert on a Voie Verte in southern Brittany - just me! - freezing cold, icy and slippery, and a biting wind. Great heading south, but coming back with the wind against me - horrible! Just the thought of the mulled wine waiting for me kept me going!

In France until January 2nd, nothing on the roads at all - peace and quiet, great riding - as long as I aimed to get in as the sun went down, or the roads iced up very quickly after that!

Never heard Silent Night or Jingle Bells once!

regards to all, Braz.