Moan, Moan, moan

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
timmitchell

Moan, Moan, moan

Post by timmitchell »

Yesterday, whilst out in the peak, climbing out of Longnor, on to Tideswell and then Bradwell my chums and I lost count of the number of sports gel wrappers at the side of the road. New Year resolution for those of you who discard 'em. Take them home.
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

I was given one on last year's Dunwich Dynamo. Apart from nearly making me sick with its vile taste, those things are STICKY. I did take the wrapper home, but it made a right mess of my jersey.
Cunobelin

Re: Moan, Moan, moan

Post by Cunobelin »

timmitchell wrote:Yesterday, whilst out in the peak, climbing out of Longnor, on to Tideswell and then Bradwell my chums and I lost count of the number of sports gel wrappers at the side of the road. New Year resolution for those of you who discard 'em. Take them home.

You are Matthew Parris AICMFP :wink:
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Mine went into the bin at Booths when I got there today :D
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
paulah

Post by paulah »

What puzzles me here is - who would want to eat something like that when they're heading towards the ice cream shop in Bradwell? :?
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Of course if there was a considerable amount in one area, this presumably indicates they were handed up and then discarded during an event; are we sure this might have been a cycle event, or it could have been some sort of marathon, long distance walking event?
Perhaps we should not always point the finger at ourselves.......?????
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Daniel Fox

Post by Daniel Fox »

I did athe Etape Caledonia last year and was disappointed by the amount of gel wrappers that were dropped by the side of the road.
emergency_pants

Post by emergency_pants »

It might be worth writing to the companies that make them and lobby them to make them with biodegradeable wrappers.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

They're completely useless anyway, a mental crutch for someone who's struggling...

By my calculations they provide enough calories for me of about 4 minutes at race pace, 5 if I'm cycling rather than running.

Should check if it was an organised event, if so the organisers should clear up after themselves.
Beakyboy

Post by Beakyboy »

Daniel Fox wrote:I did athe Etape Caledonia last year and was disappointed by the amount of gel wrappers that were dropped by the side of the road.

I'm doing that this year its looks like fun and not too taxing. What was it like?
May the wind always be at your rear!