Joining CTC Online

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
rivelino

Joining CTC Online

Post by rivelino »

I went to renew my membership via the CTC website this month and was shocked to discover that you can only do it by phone (previously family have given it me as a gift to I didn't know). I can't think of any similar sized organisations in the same situation.
Has joining via online ever been offered by CTC?
Thanks
emergency_pants

Post by emergency_pants »

The web forms are all there to join online. It all appears to be working so maybe it's being updated or installed at the moment.
kborom

Post by kborom »

I joined online a few days OK, seemed to work OK.
rivelino

Joining CTC Online

Post by rivelino »

I have checked and you can not renew online. Apparently they intend to upgrade the website in due course to permit this. You can join as a new member however.
Must admit that I find this surprising.
Simon L6

Post by Simon L6 »

must admit I find this deeply frustrating
hugo67

Re: Joining CTC Online

Post by hugo67 »

I joined CTC online several days ago now, when I logged in with the number they gave and my surname, it was refused. I rang the membership department and they gave me a new number to type in and a name (not my own). Although this logs me in, I feel it is irregular since I cannot be 'me' and don't have the surety of my membership card or the benefits of the CTC. I checked my Credit card account and the payment has gone through ok. Can someone confirm what is happening and why I have been directed down this route, please? Hugo67
Graham

Post by Graham »

hugo67 wrote:I Can someone confirm what is happening and why I have been directed down this route, please? Hugo67

Sorry, this is the CTC forum, run by volunteers, with no special access to the CTC membership department or management.

What route have you been directed down?? I don't understand.

You are already registered on the CTC forum, so you must be aware that the CTC Forum & the main site www.ctc.org.uk have different login mechanisms and are (technically) independent
hugo67

Post by hugo67 »

I assumed since this was a CTC Forum that someone on here would know the methodology that the CTC Membership department uses. As I am new on the CTC, all I wanted to know was how long do I wait before my membership card and paperwork that signals that I 'am' a member here arrives? Surely someone here is a member of the CTC and knows how long it takes for the Membership department to get back to you. As a member of Sustrans and a volunteer Ranger, I know that it takes around two weeks for a person to become a Ranger with Sustrans (to use an example). The 'route' I refer to is being in a state of 'not knowing' if I have been accepted as a member or not; and also not knowing how long membership takes. So far I've been told it takes 48 hours to become a member of CTC by the membership department, but obviously, that doesn't include the official letter, paperwork and membership card. All I ever wanted to know was how long before I was informed by letter than I was officially a member. Does that seem clear to you now?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I can't remember specifically how I joined, it was a few years ago now.

It all happened by return of post.

Renewals, they just send me the stuff and I send a cheque. Simple. Never had a problem.
Mick F. Cornwall
hugo67

Post by hugo67 »

I suppose, since CTC has gotten larger, return of post for credentials is unrealistic now. I guess I'm going to have to wait for it to plop on my mat! Thanks Mick F!
Phil_Lee

Post by Phil_Lee »

I joined online last year, and when I found that renewal online wasn't available, I just waited for it to lapse and joined again (so new membership number, fresh welcome pack, less income for CTC)

Utterly barking.
hugo67

Post by hugo67 »

I needn't have worried! I got my big envelope and my Membership Number/Card that I just carefully knock out of the letter that was attached to my card (or vice-versa) :)! The information was very useful that came with the letter and the magazine "Cycling" for June/July is superb and worth waiting for! A bit later on I'll send the Direct Debit form back so that my membership can be upgraded in plenty of time and I don't lapse. Thank you CTC and all you members who tried to wet-nurse this fractious new member :P . hugo67
rootes

Post by rootes »

rivelino wrote:I went to renew my membership via the CTC website this month and was shocked to discover that you can only do it by phone (previously family have given it me as a gift to I didn't know). I can't think of any similar sized organisations in the same situation.
Has joining via online ever been offered by CTC?
Thanks

You can do it via wiggle - yes it is a new member pack, but you get 15 months for the price of twelve

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/CTC_1 ... 360043616/

though reading this thread if you got an email notice - there is alink that lets you do it online

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=26979