(Lack of ) durability of Overshoes

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
neilob

(Lack of ) durability of Overshoes

Postby neilob » 15 Jan 2009, 9:36am

Am I the only person disappointed with overshoes? I pay over £25 a pair but within weeks they are shot....am I doing something wrong? You can't avoid walking with them on yet when I went back to the shop to complain about the bottoms fraying I was told they are only for cycling, not walking. They are made so tight you have to put them on somewhere you can sit (ie house or office) and not in a cramped bike shed. My walking is from house to bike shed then to road, then from bike rack to office and sometimes via a coffee shop. And return. It's not like I walk a mile a day!! I feel a Grumpy Old Man moment coming on.....
Neil
Using a car to take an adult on a three mile journey is the same as using an atomic bomb to kill a canary.

NUKe

Postby NUKe » 15 Jan 2009, 12:16pm

I been using a pair of Endura MTB ones for the past 2 years and still in good nick, they are Kevlar underneath,they have cut out for the sole and heel, I use them over Specialized MTB shoes. . so Im not walking on the overshoe but the tread pattern of the Shoe.
In terms of tightness I use a size 8/9 over a size 7 shoe.
NUKe

minkie

Postby minkie » 15 Jan 2009, 12:18pm

That's 2 of us. I've found waterproof socks to be a much better solution.

Manx Cat

Postby Manx Cat » 15 Jan 2009, 3:29pm

I have a pair of these:
overshoes here

I must admit I find them very good, and have worn them for the end of last winter (Got them in feb 08) right through winter up to date, the only pair Ive ever had, and Ive walked miles in them as well.

So far, the only wear and tear is the velco strip at the back needs a bit of work on the sewing machine as its become unattached, but it hasnt torn and is repairable.

No wear on soles at all. They have a re-enforced fabric base to them.

Mary

DavidT

Re: Overshoes

Postby DavidT » 15 Jan 2009, 4:48pm

neilob wrote:Am I the only person disappointed with overshoes?

You are not alone!

I can relate to all the problems you mention. I've also yet to find a pair that are actually waterproof to any extent. With the cut away for SPD I think it is actually a lost cause.

I'm experimenting with Seal Skinz waterproof socks at the moment. Seems a better solution. However always interested in recommendations from others on this topic.

deliquium

Postby deliquium » 15 Jan 2009, 5:14pm

I've also been disappointed with overshoes.

And I hate the way they rub ever so slightly against nice Campag cranks and spoil my bling.

I'm using SealSkinz socks over thin ordinary cycling socks. Very pleased for rides lasting a couple of hours or less in cold or wet.

DavidT

Postby DavidT » 15 Jan 2009, 10:04pm

deliquium wrote:And I hate the way they rub ever so slightly against nice Campag cranks and spoil my bling.

Yes. Forgot about that one!

According to my L/H crank I ride a VE CE chainset. Still after 30secs of frustration I remembered there are more important things.... :roll:

PW

Postby PW » 15 Jan 2009, 10:14pm

The one pair I own have been in the shed for 20 years. A decent pair of Goretex lined MTB boots is far better.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!

anweledig

Postby anweledig » 16 Jan 2009, 9:30pm

I'm the same - I've bought a couple of cheap pairs from Aldi in their autumn cycling sale - the first pair are a bit worn now but I have to walk over some stony ground to get to where I keep the bike.

They are really quite good and keep my feet reasonably dry in conditions where the ground is wet and I'm getting a lot of spray, puddles etc. And at the price I'm laughing even if I wreck a pair every winter.

I tend to think of them like the laces in gaiters when your hill walking, they fray and break up after a few outings but the benefit is clearly there while you are using them.

mick146

Overshoes

Postby mick146 » 21 Feb 2009, 9:48pm

Over the years I've tried several pairs of "waterproof" overshoes...I never found a waterproof pair yet.Waste of money !!

The water finds it's way up the hole in the sole. and into the side of your shoe..I suppose this hole is for cleats to fit the pedals...I've only ever used toe clips, (and found them perfect for my needs)...but then I cycle in every day clothing.

Recently,I was so fed up with my latest "waterproof" overshoes that I hurled them to the bottom of my garden...and now use the most waterproof overshoes ever...a couple of Sainsbury's carrier bags...the nice,bright orange colour doubles as reflective safety wear,too.

You do need some insulating tape to fasten them round the ankles,but if you're not embarrassed by the appearance,they're brilliant...but after one long commute the soles are worn through.. Sainsbury's still give free bags if you ask,so no problem there.
Old enough to know better.

EdinburghFixed

Postby EdinburghFixed » 21 Feb 2009, 10:39pm

We both have Endura neoprene overshoes and they still seem ok. Even if not, £25 for a winter's use would be fair game in my book (equivalent to less than a week's worth of train fare).

As long as you don't expect them to be literally waterproof, I've found them to perform well. They keep your feet at a comfortable temperature and protect from spray and other road grime - no need to worry about frozen toes!

I find in heavy rain, that I'm always pretty wet by 30-45 minutes into the commute, irrespective of what I wear. However the overshoes keep me most comfortable, notwithstanding (I'm not sure if that makes any sense!)

garybaldy

Postby garybaldy » 22 Feb 2009, 10:26am

Got a pair of BBB's.

Perfect. Never let a drop of water through, and very hard wearing.

They also keep my feet warm in cold weather.

boink

Postby boink » 22 Feb 2009, 11:15am

I chucked my altura overshoes into a bin near the Erskine bidge last summer. Snagged all the time and were raggy after a weeks use. I'm trying sealskinz - so far so good. The Enduras do sound better, its just getting the buggers on and of is a pain. Why can't somebody just invent a nice all in one waterproof and breathable Howard Jones style jumpsuit! Orange'd be OK.

bogmyrtle

Postby bogmyrtle » 22 Feb 2009, 9:36pm

My best buy has to be a mismatched pair of BBB overshoes bought at the seconds stall at York last year. At the princely sum of £2 they have more than paid for themselves this winter and are still going strong.

A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.

meic

Postby meic » 22 Feb 2009, 11:49pm

I have a pair of 3mm Neoprene overshoes and I wear them for 6 months of the year. They dont keep the water out but they do stop your feet from freezing.
Yes they are quickly shredded underneath by walking but they are still quite effective.
At the end of a filthy wet ride, you peel them off and hang up to dry outside and you have nice clean shoes underneath which can be dried off inside the house.
Yma o Hyd