First steps?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
tbourner

First steps?

Post by tbourner »

I used to love cycling, still enjoy it but I need a better bike. I want to start commuting the 3 miles to work, cos driving it is just ridiculous. Currently my bike is a British Eagle Trail-something or other, about £100 (and probably weighs about 100lbs! :D ), dual suspension, Y frame, big heavy knobly tyres etc. etc. Basically it's rubbish for commuting, so I want a hybrid.

My ride is some roads, up and down some kerbs, some hills, and quite a bit of gravelly and/or muddy footpaths.

My question is: Is it worth me just getting a cheap £200 Carrera thingy from Halfords? Or will it be just as much a BSO as my current BSO? Will the step up be worth it or should I be looking at getting a Dawes Discovery 201 or 301? Or even better look at the second hand market and try for something even nicer off eBay or something?
I'm sure a cheap as chips hybrid will make a huge difference over my mountain bike, but will I be wanting to change it again in 6 months?
Trev.
Forum expert, bike idiot.
oaklec

Post by oaklec »

Edinburgh bicycle do some in house hybrids under their Revolution brand that appear good value for money. www.edinburghbicycle.com
random37

Post by random37 »

Why don't you ask for something here? If you don't like it you can sell it and get your money back.
cranky1

Post by cranky1 »

What you've got sounds about ideal for what you are doing.
Be carefull out there.
oaklec

Post by oaklec »

A Cannondale Bad Boy might suit your needs better
meic

Post by meic »

Your ride sounds short and dirty.

I would be focusing on the tyres and a good pair of full mudguards as a more important point than the rest of the bike.

The fastest tyres that could handle the terain, something like 26 x 1.5" Paselas or Marathons? If they cope with the mud they will make the road parts fast and can do kerbs pretty OK.

If the hills are not too severe go for hub gears as it will be a pain cleaning deraileurs all the time for such a small journey where you can afford to expend effort required with fewer gears.

I am a great fan of secondhand. Lots of cheap/free 1980's British Steel around which can beat modern stuff for utillity any day.
Yma o Hyd
oaklec

Post by oaklec »

Edinburgh bicycle sell hub geared hybrids...
mick skinner

Post by mick skinner »

tbourner,

short answer is yes.

it'll be well worth upgrading from what you've got now. from the description of your route, i'd recommend a nice, light weight, hybryd. with that sort of terrain knobbly tyres are more of a liability than an asset.
tbourner

Post by tbourner »

When I say gravelly/muddy footpaths, I mean they are solid footpaths that have some loose on top and mud mostly from the forest bits either side, it's definitely not an off road trail!!! I'd say there's no need for knobblys on my route at all.

So what are the Halfords £200 hybrids like? I can probably get one of them second hand for £150. My budget is tight due to the wife! :D
Trev.
Forum expert, bike idiot.
meic

Post by meic »

Every time I go to Halfords there is always a selection of bikes at half price or similar. I would only pay £150 for a second hand £200 bike if it was 100% as new.
Ask if your LBS has any secondhand bikes and dont make the mistake of assuming they will be more expensive than Halfords.
Yma o Hyd
random37

Post by random37 »

A £150 secondhand hybrid from here would wipe the floor with anything you could buy from Halfords for £150.
hubgearfreak

Re: First steps?

Post by hubgearfreak »

tbourner wrote:3 miles to work, cos driving it is just ridiculous.

you're dead right there

tbourner wrote:My budget is tight due to the wife! :D

....tell her that the savings in fuel will mean that your budget should be higher.8) there's nothing more likely to put you off than a cheap and nasty or often breaking bike
oaklec

Post by oaklec »

This takes some beating for a budget new bike.

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... 155c002910
lauriematt

Post by lauriematt »

a friend had a british eagle....heavy steel bike. too heavy

see if you can pick up a cheap aluminium mountain bike.....you really notice the difference in weight and you can pick up a decent one cheap second-hand
WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU .... CAN ONLY MAKE YOU STRONGER
lauriematt

Post by lauriematt »

for example this bike: http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=18935

costs over £400 brand new....but being sold for under half that price
WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU .... CAN ONLY MAKE YOU STRONGER