Cannondale touring classic or what else?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
kwackers

Cannondale touring classic or what else?

Post by kwackers »

Ok - started my new job, 13 miles each way commute.

At the moment I'm doing it on my MB with road tyres, but the gearing is just rubbish...

New place has BTW, but it has to be with Evans and their choice is frankly poor. Either Cannondale or Dawes and even then most are marked out of stock.

Since I plan to do a bit of touring I think it makes sense to use the BTW for a new bike (which hopefully will make my commute better) and browsing through their on line catalogue the bike that best catches my eye at the moment is this (http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cannondale/touring-classic-2009-touring-bike-ec016648.

Anyone have any advice as to it's suitability - any others that may be a better bet if I wait for them to come into stock?

Also any advice on good panniers? (At the moment I use a rucksack and it's not comfy for the amount of time I have to wear it).
Ambermile

Post by Ambermile »

Could you not just get a 52T+ up front and ignore the granny gear? Lot cheaper than a new beastie...

Arthur
Last edited by Ambermile on 24 Jan 2009, 1:58pm, edited 1 time in total.
I make stuff, that's all.
random37

Post by random37 »

£1,200 for a bike you've never ridden? :shock:
At that price, you're in the realms of handmade touring bikes, I'd much rather have one of those.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Ambermile wrote:Could you not just get a 52T+ up front and ignore the granny gear? Lot cheaper than a new beastie...

Arthur

It's the spacing on the cassette I don't like (and the suspension). I did consider changing the cassette and fitting rack etc, but I do like to do the occasional trail on it and swapping bits all the time becomes a pain.
GrahamG

Post by GrahamG »

Unfortunately that's a typical example of a manufacturer getting it all wrong using a road triple groupset and thinking that's all it needs - it's just not suitable for touring, you'd have to change the crankset at the very least before using it for loaded touring. Better off looking at the Galaxy range or seeing what else Evans might be able to order in.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

chris667 wrote:£1,200 for a bike you've never ridden? :shock:
At that price, you're in the realms of handmade touring bikes, I'd much rather have one of those.

Me too!

Sadly it has to be from Evans and the fact I've never ridden it is why I've posted here! I'm probably not as fussy as some on these forum and am prepared to take a gamble. If I don't like it I can always sell it...

Lets not also forget it reduces my not insubstantial tax bill each month - even if it by an amount almost not worth bothering with, so the final cost is nearer £700 spread over 12 months of interest free credit. :wink:

And I get another bike!
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

GrahamG wrote:Unfortunately that's a typical example of a manufacturer getting it all wrong using a road triple groupset and thinking that's all it needs - it's just not suitable for touring, you'd have to change the crankset at the very least before using it for loaded touring. Better off looking at the Galaxy range or seeing what else Evans might be able to order in.

I was thinking of a galaxy but they're all marked out of stock. :(

I presume you think the crankset is too feeble for touring? Perhaps I should speak to Evans and see if they can put delivery dates to the bikes. I'm not in a mad rush as long as it's not months...
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I have two Cannondale bikes and I have been well-pleased with them. I did look at the touring range a few years ago and no doubt it will have changed in certain details, but the main points are probably the same.

I don't want to restart an alu vs steel debate but the Cannondale does have an alloy frame and they then go to all sorts of lengths such as a sprung seatpost (even some sort of head shock absorber?) to mitigate the harshness of the ride on their tourers. That seems cart before horse to me. When I looked the gearing seemed high for touring.

They do various models, again changing annually, which are perhaps better suited to commuting. I no longer commute but I have had a Road Warrior (what a silly name) for several years. I suppose it's a hybrid. It came with triple road gears - an OTT (IMO) top of 52 x 12. The chainset was changed under warranty so I took the opportunity of exchanging for a compact triple, top now more sensible and the lower gears at the bottom end were just in time for my problems with angina.

I fitted a rack and guards from the outset. I also swapped the saddle for one of my Brooks Pro's. Apart from sawing a bit off the ends of the straight bars, that was it.
PH

Post by PH »

Evans also do the Ridgeback Panorama, though for some reason it's not on their touring list. I've no experience of it but it gets good reviews. It would be my choice for your budget and requirments.
Panorama

They also do the Tricross in several versions, it's never appealed to me, but I've read lots of favorable comments, some on this forum.
Tricross

I was in the Nottingham branch of Evans last week and was surprised both by the range and level of service.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

PH wrote:Evans also do the Ridgeback Panorama, though for some reason it's not on their touring list. I've no experience of it but it gets good reviews. It would be my choice for your budget and requirments.
Panorama

Thanks for that, it looks pretty good. Added to my list...
frank9755

Post by frank9755 »

The Ridgeback touring bikes are excellent. I've got the lower end one, the Voyage, and it's been great. I struggle to fault it, and have not heard anything bad about it or the Panorama.

However, I'm upgrading, because I can under my Cycle for Work scheme rather than I need to. My first choice was the Panorama but I was able to get a far better deal (price and availability) on a Super Galaxy, so have gone for that. The only concern I have is that I won't like my new Galaxy as much as the Ridgeback!
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

I have had a Cannondale ST600 touring bike since 1991 which I have toured with in the past (including New Mexico to Alaska, on varied road surfaces), and it has been a fine bike. I now use it as a more lightweight day ride bike as it has 700c wheels, and use my steel 26" wheel bike for full touring.
I reckon the bike you are considering would be an excellent choice for mixed duties as it has 26" wheels, etc, however I would agree that the gearing is not right, it needs lower gears - a different cassette and changing the small chainring would sort this out.
The only downside of Aluminium frames is the difficulty of repair, although Cannondales don't tend to break, and they have a lifetime guarantee of sorts. My frame has recently developed a small crack in the weld that attaches the seatpost binder bolt, but otherwise is in good condition. Having said that, if buying again I would probably go for steel.
In your position, given the options and the fact that you are getting a good price through the BTW scheme I would go for the Cannondale as it has 26" wheels, the Dawes will have 700c I presume?
GrahamG

Post by GrahamG »

kwackers wrote:
GrahamG wrote:Unfortunately that's a typical example of a manufacturer getting it all wrong using a road triple groupset and thinking that's all it needs - it's just not suitable for touring, you'd have to change the crankset at the very least before using it for loaded touring. Better off looking at the Galaxy range or seeing what else Evans might be able to order in.

I was thinking of a galaxy but they're all marked out of stock. :(

I presume you think the crankset is too feeble for touring? Perhaps I should speak to Evans and see if they can put delivery dates to the bikes. I'm not in a mad rush as long as it's not months...

Apologies if that wasn't clear - it needs lower gears for fully laden touring so would need a crankset with smaller chainrings (like an MTB/ATB crankset) and also an MTB wide range cassette on the rear. Unfortunately that would be impossible with those gear shifters as they're 10 speed whilst MTB cassettes only go up to 9 speed (sensibly!). Basically, unless you are considering just very lightweight 'credit card' touring, there would be too many modifications needing to be made which would cost a good £100-£200 (depending on what you decide is needed).
Definitely agree with the Ridgeback suggestion.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

GrahamG wrote:Apologies if that wasn't clear - it needs lower gears for fully laden touring so would need a crankset with smaller chainrings (like an MTB/ATB crankset) and also an MTB wide range cassette on the rear. Unfortunately that would be impossible with those gear shifters as they're 10 speed whilst MTB cassettes only go up to 9 speed (sensibly!). Basically, unless you are considering just very lightweight 'credit card' touring, there would be too many modifications needing to be made which would cost a good £100-£200 (depending on what you decide is needed).
Definitely agree with the Ridgeback suggestion.

No probs, I had figured out what you meant - but only after I'd replied...

Currently I'm favouring the Ridgeback, quite like the look of that. No idea why it isn't in the touring section though...
emergency_pants

Post by emergency_pants »

+1 on the Ridgeback Panorama from Evans. If I was going to do a BTW from there I would defintely give that a good look too. (The tricross has no mudguards so I'd skip on that as a commuter).