Help with buying a bike!

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
DaveyDave

Help with buying a bike!

Post by DaveyDave »

Hi All,
Over the last 6 months I've been riding an old Dawes Galaxy I got 2nd hand from someone from this site. It's a great bike and a superb intro to road cycling after many years riding my mountain bike. However, now I want to get something lighter and faster.

I want a bike for club runs, occasional audax/sportives and the odd triathlon. So, in short, I want something that's reasonably comfortable but speedy at the same time. After considerable thought, I'm pretty convinced I want a Ti frame and I'm prepared to spend up to £2k (preferably less) on the overall bike.
Having looked at a few Ali/carbon bikes and read stuff on the web I think I've come to the conclusion that it would be unwise to buy a expensive bike online without having tried one first.

My main problem is that I can't find any dealer in the local area (Kent) which actually stocks any Ti bikes built up. I can find the odd shop that has a frame but no built up bikes!!. Planet-X have some good value bikes, but their number one dealer has one Ti Pro frame and no Ti bikes (LOL). The only Van Nicholas dealer near me has no built up Ti bikes.

How exactly am I meant to purchase a bike with confidence if the dealers don't have any in stock?. Any ideas?.

Dave
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

You could try Enigma cycles in East Sussex:-

http://www.enigmabikes.com/

But again I don't know if they have any to try?
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

I wouldn't worry about the "ride", since I've ridden and can't tell the difference between steel, aluminium or titanium (never tried carbon fibre). Whether it fits is the main thing. If you can find a bike with the same top tube length and seat angle as the Galaxy, it should be good in terms of fit. Seat tube length is unimportant as long as you can comfortably straddle the bike. Then you can tell the builder what saddle height, setback, reach and drop you prefer, measured from the Galaxy, and they can ensure you get the right seatpost and stem.
DaveyDave

Post by DaveyDave »

rogerzilla wrote:Then you can tell the builder what saddle height, setback, reach and drop you prefer, measured from the Galaxy, and they can ensure you get the right seatpost and stem.

Well, it's not a given that I'd actually want exactly the same fit as the Galaxy. That's why I'd like to sit on one at least, even if I don't ride it. I think if I'm going to put down £2k, it's the least I'd expect.
random37

Re: Help with buying a bike!

Post by random37 »

If you're prepared to spend that kind of money, you shouldn't have to guess on frames. I wouldn't spend £100 on a bike if I couldn't try it out first.
I reckon you should find a frame builder who could do you a custom fitting.
Paul Smith SRCC

Re: Help with buying a bike!

Post by Paul Smith SRCC »

chris667 wrote:If you're prepared to spend that kind of money, you shouldn't have to guess on frames. I wouldn't spend £100 on a bike if I couldn't try it out first.
I reckon you should find a frame builder who could do you a custom fitting.

Seconded; would always suggest you try before you buy any bike, or even product(s), that you are unfamiliar with.

Paul_Smith
Touring Tips
Paul Smith. 37 Years in the Cycle Trade
My personal cycling blog, Bike Fitter at C & N Cycles
Member of the Pedal Club