Ride with a view

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Neil Fat Man On A Bike

Post by Neil Fat Man On A Bike »

PW, that sounds wonderful.
Here's a link to a picture taken at Sandwood Bay at New Year.
It was a really hard frost, even the dunes were frozen solid, Stunning & cold.

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2838411/
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

Great pic (Sandwood Bay). I've been there, but only on foot.
steady eddy

best view

Post by steady eddy »

In the absence of any part of the Yorkshire Dales beind easily accessible for a day out from Norfolk the Waveney Valley takes a lot of beating. A lot flatter too.
Tim Cox

Post by Tim Cox »

From where I live by the sea in South Devon, looking down upon the long shingle beach of Slapton Sands and the freshwater lake of Slapton Ley trapped behind it. The main road runs along it with the promise of a flat if not always easy ride due to the strong winds that blow at times. In fifty years time it will have all been washed into the sea so view it while you can.
glueman

Post by glueman »

Tim Cox wrote:From where I live by the sea in South Devon, looking down upon the long shingle beach of Slapton Sands and the freshwater lake of Slapton Ley trapped behind it. The main road runs along it with the promise of a flat if not always easy ride due to the strong winds that blow at times. In fifty years time it will have all been washed into the sea so view it while you can.

You're lucky - we often holiday on that stretch of coastline. It's remarkable that a stretch of shingle separates a freshwater lake from the sea.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

Sometimes the view is the best because of the ride. The view north from Hay Bluff is one of my favourites, but it isn't the same unless you've pedalled all the way up the Lllanthony Valley to see it. The moment when you ride over the cattle grid and find (seemingly) the whole of mid and north Wales opening up before you is sheer magic.
Neil Fat Man On A Bike

Post by Neil Fat Man On A Bike »

patricktaylor wrote:Great pic (Sandwood Bay). I've been there, but only on foot.

Well not the best pic, but thanks.
Sandwood Bay is a stunning stunning place.
It can get quite busy (by local standards) so I only tend to go in the winter. This time even the peat bogs were frozen it was excellent.
I'm toying with the idea of a cycle out to Cape Wrath and on to Sandwood for a camp. But I think I need to walk the route first. It would be an excellent jaunt if it is rideable ( or even mostly rideable ).
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

Neil Fat Man On A Bike wrote:... It can get quite busy ...

I was there in the mid-1980's - August. It was a long walk and there was no-one else there. Looking inland there's a great view of Foinavon, as I remember (not sure of which mountain). I was also struck by the quality of the beach sand (white) and brought some back in a bottle (which I still have).
boink

Post by boink »

Cycling along the road leading to the pass at Glencoe on my summer lejog.
Unbelievable and otherworldly despite the clouds of wretched midges.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Ride with a view

Post by Cyril Haearn »

From Malvern Hills to Black Mountains and Sugarloaf
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
hayers

Post by hayers »

Lots of favourites, but best from this year had to be freshwater bay on the roubd the isle of wight route on stunning sunny day.
honesty

Post by honesty »

3 spring to mind.

1. I did the Exmoor spring audax this year and it starts off going up Porlock toll road. The view across the bay over Porlock is stunning.

2. Barmouth rail bridge on the LLC is fantastic and the Mawddach Trail along the estuary that follows is wonderful.

3. Heading south on the Pennine Cycleway from Wark forest looking down onto Hadrian’s Wall. Amazing.

The UK has some amazing countryside.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

hayers wrote:Lots of favourites, but best from this year had to be freshwater bay on the roubd the isle of wight route on stunning sunny day.

Definitely my favourite. I ride that way most days.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.