...about rainlegs?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
JeremyintheCzechRepublic

...about rainlegs?

Post by JeremyintheCzechRepublic »

http://www.rainlegs.co.uk/ A Canadian friend had some and they seem pretty good. My mum is nifty with a sewing machine and made me something similar for a fraction of the price. They are very good as they don't make your legs sweat as normal plastic trousers would. Also they are a lot lighter than a full pair of waterproof trousers. Anyone else used them?
If you're sitting in your car, complaining about the traffic, don't forget, you are the traffic.
http://www.jeremytaylor.eu
byegad

Post by byegad »

They are a 'love them or hate them' item. I use mine all year round on my recumbent trikes as I use a Fairing and they cover the parts of me below the waist not covered by it.

I've used them on an upright too and they are great for a summer down pour when you are wearing shorts and don't mind getting your lower legs wet.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

If you look on the recent 'most useful item' thread (or it may be the parallel 'useless item' thread) you will see that as byegad says, it's love 'em or hate 'em.
GrahamG

Post by GrahamG »

As someone who boils in the bag with anything waterproof - I find them a godsend. I don't care if the sides of my legs end up wet as long as knees and thighs are dry and warm.
asr

Post by asr »

I both love them and hate them: love them when riding in a downpour, hate them when I need to put them on in public.
MarySkater

Post by MarySkater »

asr wrote: hate them when I need to put them on in public.

-- or even wear them in public. Why silver-gray? If you can manage a do-it-yourself version, make them in a colour that matches whatever trousers you usually wear.
sedwin

Rainlegs

Post by sedwin »

My Rainlegs are black, but I still feel a bit stupid in them, especially at cafe stops. But then, as my wife say's , " what makes you think you don't look stupid without them ? "
For me, certainly the best compromise between "boil in the bag" and just getting soaked.
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Just pedalled the ten miles home in a blizzard wearing mine - I stayed dry and warm :P
I've used them all year in some quite good downpours and find them much better than full overtrousers. In dry cold weather they also keep your knees warm - bliss at 6am with 9 miles still to go :shock:
I must admit I was sceptical at first, but now they live in the pannier all the time, just in case. The £70 overtrousers on the other hand are 'somewhere' in the house :?

Steve
speedsixdave

Post by speedsixdave »

I'm just putting mine on now to ride back in the snow. In the office they mock my 'chaps', and seem to think there's something a bit YMCA about them. Haven't a clue what they're implying!
Big wheels good, small wheels better.
Two saddles best!
speedsixdave

Re: Rainlegs

Post by speedsixdave »

sedwin wrote: " what makes you think you don't look stupid without them ? "

:D
Big wheels good, small wheels better.
Two saddles best!
Manx Cat

Post by Manx Cat »

Another fan of them here too.

When I did my cycle ride over the mountain last weekend, I nearly froze solid! Put my rainlegs on, and my overshoes and suddenly I was a whole lot better - still cold, but at least I could function.

They certainly get my vote.

On the website linked with these posts, they come in black, silver, white and denim!

Mine are black. An important part of the war against weather!

Mary
softpedal

rain legs

Post by softpedal »

I prefer rain legs for a number of reasons.
You dont sweat in them.
The ones I've got roll up and clip in place like a belt round your waist when its not raining.
Because of that they're easier to put on and take off in showers. Especially on cold wet days.
Take up less room, none if you wear them on your waist.
Your never to old to become younger
frank9755

Post by frank9755 »

I was the person who said I didn't like them on the 'most useless' thread, but based on everyone else's reaction, I gave them another go, and I'm a convert! Great product.