Viscount bicycles!!

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
busaste

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Post by busaste »

Check out this beauty on Craigslist: http://littlerock.craigslist.org/bik/2058735001.html

Just $125.

You guys in the USA are so lucky. There are Viscounts everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!
Goldie

Post by Goldie »

Hi Busaste - thanks for the offer of decals - PM sent.
busaste

Post by busaste »

Finished stripping, cleaning, rebuilding my Aerospace Sport. With the exception of the RD cable it is unchanged since 1976!!!!

I LOVE IT!!!!

DSCN1735.JPG
DSCN1717.JPG
DSCN1733.JPG
DSCN1720.JPG
DSCN1740.JPG
Goldie

Post by Goldie »

That is looking showroom fresh - excellent work!
PW

Post by PW »

The brakes are obviously re-badged, are they Weinmann or the Shimano Tourney? My old Deore 18AX was the latter.
Beautiful paint job, those rear dropouts bring back memories.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
busaste

Post by busaste »

PW wrote:The brakes are obviously re-badged, are they Weinmann or the Shimano Tourney? My old Deore 18AX was the latter.
Beautiful paint job, those rear dropouts bring back memories.

The brakes were made for Lambert Cycles by an English company called Copal Foundries Limited. They were pretty blatant copies of Weinmann centre pulls! Originally the brakes had a Lambert sticker on but under Viscount they were simply re badged. The casting of the brake components was done using a 'gravair' process. The alloy was an interesting mix of substances typical of those used in the Aerospace industry.

The paint is all factory stuff. Lambert and Viscount paintwork was all powder coated at the factory. At the time they were the only company in the UK (and possibly any where else too) to do it.

My Aerospace Sport was made at the Bilston factory in 1976. The Deore 18AX was one of the last Viscounts to be made being a product of the ill fated Potters Bar factory. Great bike and much better than a Dawes Galaxy (cheaper too if I remember).
cyclingthelakes

Post by cyclingthelakes »

How odd, very odd here Christmas Eve and Viscount Bicycles threw me a curve I haven't seen... what is that you may ask?? Busaste and everyone??

A branded leather Viscount saddle. Ebay # 260694489959 / and I put this other frame in while I'm here, 200550890712 , has a torch holder, frame only but kind of interesting too, looks like Aerospace tubing.

But back to the saddle, I've never seen it, hope it is okay if I post the pix but the bike is going for a good sum, the saddle well, probably not worth a $100 but all in all, it does not seem to unreasonably priced, looks to be in mint condition. I know Busaste probably looks at most all bikes but I had never known of Viscount branded leather saddles, whether this is just basically a Brooks or what?? I'm not up on my leather saddle details though I have one.

Any discussion welcome as well as on the blue or purple bike frame which would indeed be a good buy.

Very nice on your red Viscount as well Busaste, well done. One of my wheel skewers fell apart, I kept it all, not sure what happened but I kept the parts and put in another skewer.
Attachments
Never seen one of these.
Never seen one of these.
Viscount Seat.jpg
viscountkiwi

Post by viscountkiwi »

can anyone give me info on this bike
aerospace 400
79 i think
shimano 600 front derailer
600 "Arabesque"? rear derailer and hubs
wienmann brakes sakei cranks and casette
no name on rims have replaced spokes for s/steel
and am thinking of upgrading b/bracket cranks chainset as reading round the originals are unreliable...any help cheers

just seen a Lambert T.A. fitting 52t chainring. 1970's for sale love the look of it but being mechanically rubbush i dont know wether it will fit my bike any help
Attachments
PC300503.JPG
PC300501.JPG
PC300499.JPG
PC300498.JPG
PC300497.JPG
Last edited by viscountkiwi on 29 Dec 2010, 5:25pm, edited 5 times in total.
Goldie

Post by Goldie »

The Viscount catalogue included in this thread lists a leather sports saddle with perforated flaps as being part of the spec of 1974 Aerospaces - I'd assumed they were just supplied with Brooks B5Ns or something similar, but I'd guess this is what they meant. It does look like a re-branded Brooks....
LANDSURFER74

Post by LANDSURFER74 »

My Aerospace pro was purchased (St Columb Major Cycles) to cycle from RAF St Eval married quarters , via the coast road !!!, to Treblezue and then to work at RAF St Mawgan, i changed a few BB bracket bearings they where cheap enough,.. free from the MT section, and it was a great bike .. my first ' quality ' racer .. only sold it when the combination of posting and promotion allowed me to buy a Holdsworth frame .. only good memories of my Viscount .... did hundreds of miles with Hastings & ST Lenords CC while on leave.

how the hell do you spell ... lenords, lenerods... help .. only lived there for 12 years ... :)
busaste

Post by busaste »

cyclingthelakes wrote:How odd, very odd here Christmas Eve and Viscount Bicycles threw me a curve I haven't seen... what is that you may ask?? Busaste and everyone??

A branded leather Viscount saddle. Ebay # 260694489959 / and I put this other frame in while I'm here, 200550890712 , has a torch holder, frame only but kind of interesting too, looks like Aerospace tubing.

But back to the saddle, I've never seen it, hope it is okay if I post the pix but the bike is going for a good sum, the saddle well, probably not worth a $100 but all in all, it does not seem to unreasonably priced, looks to be in mint condition. I know Busaste probably looks at most all bikes but I had never known of Viscount branded leather saddles, whether this is just basically a Brooks or what?? I'm not up on my leather saddle details though I have one.

Any discussion welcome as well as on the blue or purple bike frame which would indeed be a good buy.

Very nice on your red Viscount as well Busaste, well done. One of my wheel skewers fell apart, I kept it all, not sure what happened but I kept the parts and put in another skewer.

Hi

Nice Viscount Aeropsace GP.

The leather Viscount branded saddles were made by Middlemores a British firm based in Coventry. In my opinion these saddles were not of the same quality as Brooks being prone to spreading as the miles racked up. Viscount used Middlemores saddles because they were cheaper than Brooks - crucial for the very price driven range of bikes that Viscount made. In 1974, Viscount's first year of production, their top of the range Aerospace Pro model sold in the UK for just £100. An astonishingly low price for a bike you could win pretty high level races on. It certainly had some high up people in Raleigh worried.

The blue frame is off a Viscount Aerospace Sport. The 1970s 'Sport came in red or blue colours. The red one above is mine. My favourite bike. Ever.
busaste

Post by busaste »

Any one seen this superb Viscount Aerospace Pro on eBay? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0664375220

Believe me they do not turn up very often in this condition and with such a high level of originality. Got to be a great late Christmas present for someone!!!!!

Here is a picture of one of my 'Pros - original apart from the handlebar tape. LOVELY!!!
Attachments
DSCN12271.JPG
cyclingthelakes

Post by cyclingthelakes »

viscountkiwi wrote:can anyone give me info on this bike
aerospace 400
79 i think
shimano 600 front derailer
600 "Arabesque"? rear derailer and hubs
wienmann brakes sakei cranks and casette
no name on rims have replaced spokes for s/steel
and am thinking of upgrading b/bracket cranks chainset as reading round the originals are unreliable...any help cheers

just seen a Lambert T.A. fitting 52t chainring. 1970's for sale love the look of it but being mechanically rubbush i dont know wether it will fit my bike any help

Everyone, I bought an 'old car, hot rod, car classic magazine not long ago and someone from New Zealand had an article and according to the article, it said New Zealanders often would not see as many different car makes, etc. that we do over here.

So, this is really an opportunity to talk to someone about Viscounts from down under, though it seems Australia has a wide selection of bicycles at their disposal, seems, I don't know. And just think they are relatively close to the Asian markets that produce so much.

That's a nice looking bike, lugged, forged dropouts with the dropout screws, perhaps water bottle bosses and my main ride is yellow, not the lightest bike, not bad in that aspect, very durable and dependable. Colour is not all important with a bike, depending on the situation but yellow is my first colour of choice. This is a Motobecane.

Edit On:
On that Viscount, Unique Fork Crown too. Haven't seen one like that.
Attachments
Motobecane09Shrink.JPG
Motobecane09Shrink.JPG (33.04 KiB) Viewed 1710 times
viscountkiwi

Post by viscountkiwi »

sorry about the confusion.but im a kiwi living in u.k.,but we do have some great classics knocking about in nz as they only sold imported bikes till around the late 80s..same as cars thats why you see so many mint classics around(my last car was a hillman hunter super auto in mustard haha,supose thats why i only ride older steel framed bikes

just found this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Viscount-Lambert- ... 19c2256245
Goldie

Post by Goldie »

busaste wrote:The leather Viscount branded saddles were made by Middlemores a British firm based in Coventry. In my opinion these saddles were not of the same quality as Brooks being prone to spreading as the miles racked up. Viscount used Middlemores saddles because they were cheaper than Brooks - crucial for the very price driven range of bikes that Viscount made. In 1974, Viscount's first year of production, their top of the range Aerospace Pro model sold in the UK for just £100.

B***er! I should have asked on here before I waded in and asked Father Christmas for a new Brooks for it :(

I've started screwing all the bits back on mine. It does take clinchers, rather than the tubulars that the paint scheme suggests... New Panaracer Paselas have gone on, signalling the abandonment of my quest to hand polish the alloy rims. Derailleurs, brakes and brake blocks are on, and I've tried the ball bearings from my scrap Motobecane against the headset races - they fit!

Was literally overjoyed to pick up blue leather Christophe toe straps at Manchester cycle jumble on Saturday: