Viscount bicycles!!

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
busaste
Posts: 365
Joined: 1 Mar 2008, 10:18pm

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Postby busaste » 5 Sep 2011, 11:00pm

Bendo wrote:For the pedals, I'd recommend MKS Sylvan Quill pedals. The same design, still made new in Japan. They make toe clips and straps as well. Really nice quality.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mks-sylvan-road-pedals

b


I agree.

MKS make really good 70's style pedals. Highly recommended.

Spudh
Posts: 42
Joined: 11 Aug 2011, 10:42pm

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Postby Spudh » 12 Sep 2011, 11:41pm

busaste wrote:
Bendo wrote:For the pedals, I'd recommend MKS Sylvan Quill pedals. The same design, still made new in Japan. They make toe clips and straps as well. Really nice quality.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mks-sylvan-road-pedals

b


I agree.

MKS make really good 70's style pedals. Highly recommended.


Ok guys, thanks for the good advice so far. The postie was busy Friday and I had a good tinkering weekend, fitted the Paselas and the Sylvan pedals with strapless toe clips. Riding really well now.

I'm still in a small spot of bother with the crank though. I got some new SS 5/16 BSF bolts and they're a good fit therefore since I was happy to put a bit of tension in the crank bolt, I went about alignment. With a bit of fettling I got the crank running +/_ 0.5mm and tightened it up good and tight. Took it out for a spin and it was running lovely and smooth until I put the hammer down going up a hill. Then came the familiar sound of the chain wheel hitting the front derailleur again. :( Not as bad as before (it hit both sides when I first got it) but its still showing misalignment. The crank was running about +/-1.5mm. I can take both sides of and rotate them through 90degs and refit but is there anything else I can do bar look for a new crank?

Spudh
Posts: 42
Joined: 11 Aug 2011, 10:42pm

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Postby Spudh » 12 Sep 2011, 11:57pm

Also I'm looking to get my hands on some decals. I'm really quite taken with the bike, I just love the feel of it and I'll definitely get it resprayed next year if I can get the decals. There's a set on ebay but the Viscount badge is just silver, nice but I like the blue and red, and there are no Trusty or Aerospace decals with it. Anyone know of a source?

busaste
Posts: 365
Joined: 1 Mar 2008, 10:18pm

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Postby busaste » 13 Sep 2011, 9:18pm

Spudh wrote:
busaste wrote:
Bendo wrote:For the pedals, I'd recommend MKS Sylvan Quill pedals. The same design, still made new in Japan. They make toe clips and straps as well. Really nice quality.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mks-sylvan-road-pedals

b


I agree.

MKS make really good 70's style pedals. Highly recommended.


Ok guys, thanks for the good advice so far. The postie was busy Friday and I had a good tinkering weekend, fitted the Paselas and the Sylvan pedals with strapless toe clips. Riding really well now.

I'm still in a small spot of bother with the crank though. I got some new SS 5/16 BSF bolts and they're a good fit therefore since I was happy to put a bit of tension in the crank bolt, I went about alignment. With a bit of fettling I got the crank running +/_ 0.5mm and tightened it up good and tight. Took it out for a spin and it was running lovely and smooth until I put the hammer down going up a hill. Then came the familiar sound of the chain wheel hitting the front derailleur again. :( Not as bad as before (it hit both sides when I first got it) but its still showing misalignment. The crank was running about +/-1.5mm. I can take both sides of and rotate them through 90degs and refit but is there anything else I can do bar look for a new crank?


Hmmm, that's a pity. There is no harm in rotating the cranks to see which side gets the best fit. Hopefully that will do it.

If not then it looks like there is an issue with the cranks, BB spindle or both. I've just recently had a Viscount crank decide that it does not want to stay on the BB spindle any more. No matter how tight I do it up it wont have it...

I suggest replacing the spindle first because I suspect that is the issue. It pains me to say it but the soft metal BB Viscount spindle has a tendency to round off a bit over time. Plus who knows how many miles it has done? I'm a bit of a fan of old SR cranks (which I seem to remember are fitted to your Viscount) - they are tough forgings!

If you look back on this thread you will see that I have posted a variety of options for Viscount Aerospace BB woes (I think we have all had them!!!). My current favourite is a stainless steel Phil Wood BB spindle. Why? It is superbly made, will outlive all of us, comes in a variety of tapers and lengths so getting a good match with the OE BB spindle is easy and you keep the original BB concept. The spindle is held in place with Loctite RC 680. The attached photo shows one before fitting to an Aerospace frame. Feeeeeeeel the quality!

bbaxlePhilWood2.jpg


The Shimano 600FD has a pretty narrow cage. A simple fix to your problem may be achieved by fitting a Shimano Titlist FD which was standard on Aerospace Pro's and GP's anyway. It has a wider cage which might just be enough to give you the clearance you need. I have a few of these. You can try one of them. If it does not work just return it to me. All I ask is that you pay the postage. If it works you can have it for nowt.

Regarding frame stickers I have:

OEM 'Viscount' for the down tube
OEM 'Aerospace Sport' for the top tube
OEM 'Aerospace GP' for the top tube

If you want any of these please PM me.

A few years ago I got a company called The Image Works (here's a web link http://www.bike-stickers.com/homepage.htm) to make up some copies of OEM Viscount frame stickers. Just ask for Graham. The stuff they did was EXCELLENT and covered the following:

Viscount head and seat tube 'shield'
Top tube 'Aerospace Pro'
Silver, white, gold coloured bands that wrap around the seat tube
The frame tubing specification that goes at the top of the seat tube

The attached picture shows some of them in place:

DSCN1183.JPG


By the way, the frame in this picture is benefitting from some high quality powder coating. The tricky area between the two seat stays (have you see how poorly it was done by Viscount on their frames?) was done to perfection. The whole job cost £40 with a 1 day turnaround! I cannot recommend this company enough: http://fastlinecoatings.co.uk/

All the best!

Bendo
Posts: 292
Joined: 3 Nov 2010, 10:10am

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Postby Bendo » 18 Sep 2011, 12:53am

Gosh that's a nice paint job. Wish mine had been so painless! :(

Re those decals Spudh saw on eBay. I thought they were pretty weird, especially since the head badge was not cut out, but just printed on a square background. Then I had a close look at the "Supabike". It's hard to see from that catalogue shot, but it looks like the head badge and seat tube badge are both "colourless". The fact that the frame is finished in chrome might be why they made those decals square. So they're Supabike decals...?

Image

b

triitout
Posts: 120
Joined: 22 Dec 2009, 8:12pm

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Postby triitout » 18 Sep 2011, 4:31am

The all silver head tube and down tube "shield" were the original type used on the Aerospace Gran Touring models of which I still have on both my blue and yellow Viscounts. These were the lowest priced model with the lugless frame in 1976 on the food chain so I guess they couldn't spring for any color!

Spudh
Posts: 42
Joined: 11 Aug 2011, 10:42pm

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Postby Spudh » 18 Sep 2011, 10:31pm

busaste wrote: All the best!


Busaste,

Thanks once again for a detailed post, I've just picked up a Titlist off ebay for small money so I'll give that a shot.

I've been trying to get a spare SR Apex crank off ebay just in case its mangled but not had any luck. There's an SR Silstar coming up soon 52 x 42 x 170. I've looked on here http://www.equusbicycle.com/bike/sakae/catalog18/ but can't really make out much difference between them. I'm pretty sure I have an SAX-5RG and I think the one on ebay is an SI-5DRG AH. Anyone know much about them or if the Silstar would be a suitable replacement for the Apex?

busaste
Posts: 365
Joined: 1 Mar 2008, 10:18pm

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Postby busaste » 19 Sep 2011, 9:36am

Bendo wrote:Gosh that's a nice paint job. Wish mine had been so painless! :(

Re those decals Spudh saw on eBay. I thought they were pretty weird, especially since the head badge was not cut out, but just printed on a square background. Then I had a close look at the "Supabike". It's hard to see from that catalogue shot, but it looks like the head badge and seat tube badge are both "colourless". The fact that the frame is finished in chrome might be why they made those decals square. So they're Supabike decals...?

Image

b


They are 'Supabike' decals.

I've never seen a 'Supabik'e other than in a brochure. None for sale, none in the shops, etc, etc. Wonder where the few that were made actually finished up? They cost £260 in 1976.

The brushed chrome frame finish and the black anodised parts looks fabulous.

User avatar
quiksilver
Posts: 275
Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 9:38am
Location: Cornwall & London

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Postby quiksilver » 21 Sep 2011, 4:17pm

Spudh wrote:Also I'm looking to get my hands on some decals. I'm really quite taken with the bike, I just love the feel of it and I'll definitely get it resprayed next year if I can get the decals. There's a set on ebay but the Viscount badge is just silver, nice but I like the blue and red, and there are no Trusty or Aerospace decals with it. Anyone know of a source?


Try Lloyds,you will have to Google them for the contact details.

User avatar
quiksilver
Posts: 275
Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 9:38am
Location: Cornwall & London

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Postby quiksilver » 21 Sep 2011, 4:25pm


Bendo
Posts: 292
Joined: 3 Nov 2010, 10:10am

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Postby Bendo » 22 Sep 2011, 1:55am

Need some feedback from the cognoscenti (all... 5, 6 of you), should I—

a) replace the original decals on my Aerospace Sport

or

b) do a bit of a "Supabike" homage with the monochrome head and seat-tube badges that Spudh found and just "Aerospace" on the top tube?

I've been thinking of the latter, since that is kind of where the build is headed. The only difference between my bike and the Supabike will be that mine won't have the lovely Shimano dropouts with axle adjusters, or sprint rims.

Oh, and the Dura Ace group won't be black because, lovely as that stuff is, bike history since 1975 has decreed that black is for mountain bikes and ugly crabon roadies.

So is it dishonest to now call it a "Sport"? Or is it too uppity to imitate the "Supabike"?*

b

*Was that really the name of it? I can't quite believe it, although Viscount's marketing team were obviously into the hip, happening lingo of the 70s. If Busaste says he's never seen or heard of one in real life, then that makes it a real mystery. Kind of the Holy Grail. Maybe we should mount a crusade? :D

Bendo
Posts: 292
Joined: 3 Nov 2010, 10:10am

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Postby Bendo » 22 Sep 2011, 11:40am

Spudh wrote:
busaste wrote: All the best!
... I've been trying to get a spare SR Apex crank off ebay just in case its mangled but not had any luck. There's an SR Silstar coming up soon 52 x 42 x 170. I've looked on here http://www.equusbicycle.com/bike/sakae/catalog18/ but can't really make out much difference between them. I'm pretty sure I have an SAX-5RG and I think the one on ebay is an SI-5DRG AH. Anyone know much about them or if the Silstar would be a suitable replacement for the Apex?


It's not an Apex crankset, but it is SR and probably the most beautiful SR design I've ever seen. Hilary Stone wants 34 quid for them. Looks like a bargain to me... b

Image

dnrc
Posts: 101
Joined: 22 Nov 2010, 12:06am

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Postby dnrc » 22 Sep 2011, 8:15pm

these have just popped up on the bay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... SS:GB:1123

may be of use to someone, don't know if they're the right length though.

Spudh
Posts: 42
Joined: 11 Aug 2011, 10:42pm

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Postby Spudh » 22 Sep 2011, 9:24pm

Bendo wrote:
Spudh wrote:
busaste wrote: All the best!
... I've been trying to get a spare SR Apex crank off ebay just in case its mangled but not had any luck. There's an SR Silstar coming up soon 52 x 42 x 170. I've looked on here http://www.equusbicycle.com/bike/sakae/catalog18/ but can't really make out much difference between them. I'm pretty sure I have an SAX-5RG and I think the one on ebay is an SI-5DRG AH. Anyone know much about them or if the Silstar would be a suitable replacement for the Apex?


It's not an Apex crankset, but it is SR and probably the most beautiful SR design I've ever seen. Hilary Stone wants 34 quid for them. Looks like a bargain to me... b

Image


Oh that is sweet!! :D Severely tempted :evil:

dnrc
Posts: 101
Joined: 22 Nov 2010, 12:06am

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Postby dnrc » 25 Sep 2011, 6:27pm

Finally got my refurb pretty much finished. It's not necessarily one for the purists though!

What was going to be a simple clean and overhaul to make an everyday bike kinda evolved into something else.

Ended up sticking on a TT style stem and bullbars with aero brake levers. Then added some dura-ace shifters and a set of NOS modolo brakes. Also used a new YST threadless bottom bracket.

I've just finished putting it together and had a ride this weekend. It still needs some tightening/fettling but it's nearly there.

Image
Image
Image