Viscount bicycles!!

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
ScubaScott8177

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Post by ScubaScott8177 »

Nice weinmanns on it, same as my lambert
busaste

Post by busaste »

Whippet wrote:It's amazing, 4 years, 908 replies and 110,000 views later!

I wonder if it is CTC's biggest ever thread?

I love this thread :D . There is so much BS out there on the net about Viscounts and Lamberts. Gradually we are debunking all of the myths and helping each other more and more to enjoy these great bikes. I never imagined (and could have hoped!!) it would turn out like this AND, this year I want to take it to the next level with a national Viscount/Lambert owners meet up.

It turns out that there are loads of Viscount/Lambert owners 'out there' and more and more are calling in here. Hopefully some of our USA/Australian fans can make it over for the meet up this summer; now that would be amazing.

I agree with ScubaScott, "Who would've though such a simple line would prove to be the snow flake that caused an avalanche". I am not done yet. Far from it. I want this thread to grow, grow, grow!!!!!
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

Edward Shurman wrote:I have to get that " BROOKS ' seat for my Aerospace ... It just looks more comfortable than my original Trusty seat.
Any series # to the seat ... Thanks

If you mean the Brooks on my Aerospace Sport that Busaste has just finished, it a B17 Special:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/brooks-saddles- ... al-saddle/
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

Did Viscount ever have their own racing colours back in the 70's? I'm thinking of getting a shirt made by these folks:

http://www.wattcustom.com/road.html
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

maybe this has been posted already but I found this;

here;http://feelofsteel.blogspot.co.uk/p/project.html

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bendo

Post by Bendo »

Haha! Thanks Brucey. Full circle mate! What you have there is the white whale of Viscounts. The Holy Grail. b
busaste

Post by busaste »

Whippet wrote:Did Viscount ever have their own racing colours back in the 70's? I'm thinking of getting a shirt made by these folks:

http://www.wattcustom.com/road.html

Yes they did! It was black. Black was a brave choice back then because no one else used it. Lettering was white.

This combo certainly got the team - Coventry Olympic Viscount - noticed 8).

The lettering on the front of the racing jersey was:

COVENTRY
OLYMPIC
VISCOUNT

Happy printing!!
busaste

Post by busaste »

Brucey wrote:maybe this has been posted already but I found this;

here;http://feelofsteel.blogspot.co.uk/p/project.html

cheers

Ultimate bike that. Full stop.

(Well, after the Aerospace Sport :wink: )
busaste

Post by busaste »

Halla wrote:Hi there Viscount lovers.

There is a lot said about the Aerospace models on here, we do not hear much about the lower order bikes. I bought a red Viscount Super Sport in 1981, probably a bit heavy at 28 pounds and with low end Shimano hubs, gears and brakes with SR quill stem and Sakae chainset, the rims are Super Champion. It is sitting on my turbo trainer, still in reasonably good condition. One thing that stands out is how well the bike handles and how comfortable it is. The only problem I have had with it is the rear hub became very noisy, so a new hub was built into the existing rim and spokes. The original parts are still on the bike except the chain set, which now drives lower gears.

Just wondered if these are as well thought of as the Aerospace models.

Regards Andy

Hi Andy

Yes, definitely!

During Viscount's 'Aerospace' years their full range of bikes always comprised of 4 groups of bikes:

Aerospace (well, that's a shock!)
International
Commuter/shopper
Childrens

My first Viscount was a Sebring from the International range. Loved it to bits. It was sturdy having a Taiwanese made lugged frame and was festooned with quality Shimano parts e.g. 600, Tourney, etc. and Sakae. Oh, and it looked great too. Went all over the place on it and it was my sole form of transport for years. Sadly it got stolen which still bothers me to this day. I'll have the last laugh though as I have one which I am going to restore! :D

Bikes in the International range were always exceptional value for money, well built (although Viscount did throw out the odd howler!) and invariably higher spec'd than rival manufacturer's bikes (notable exception being Falcon who often ran them close on price and spec.). Despite this, nearly all of them bar the Sebring were sold in the UK. The bikes had some great names too: Alamo, Fargo, Colorado GT, Tulsa GL. I bet there are many cylists out there who started with a bike in this range!

Viscount made some great 'utility' bikes too, e.g. Delta and a natty red coloured boy's 5 speed racer with a tiny frame. So, there was something for everyone.

Even in Viscount's final none Aerospace years there was still an extensive range of bikes for the budget conscious cyclist. This time though the lugged frames were made in house at Potters Bar and there was a greater reliance on European parts as well as lower end Shimano stuff.

I'd hang onto the Super Sport. Nice classic English sports bike with a level of ride comfort modern alloy framed racers can only dream of :lol: .

What's not to like?
ScubaScott8177

Post by ScubaScott8177 »

Final assembly on my 76 lambert and I'm all smiles!

Still need to buy spokes, tires, tubes, and bar wrap, and lace up the wheels so it'll be a bit since I have rent coming up :(
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

Very nice, brake levers look especially cool.
WrightsW5

Post by WrightsW5 »

Has anyone got brochure pictures or spec list or anything on the Middlemore saddles they had, the ones that were B89 with a Viscount rear badge and a Viscount sidestamp? I need something that can be used as a reference for my Wikipedia article.
onewheelgood

Post by onewheelgood »

So I finished that Sebring mixte I posted a few pages back...

...sorry about the picture quality. Weather and deadlines prevented me getting better ones.
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

Absolutely superb.
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

onewheelgood wrote:So I finished that Sebring mixte I posted a few pages back...

...sorry about the picture quality. Weather and deadlines prevented me getting better ones.

Absolutely superb indeed! Love the colour, love the matching seat and bars. A real beauty! Great work....