Viscount bicycles!!

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Sooper8

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Post by Sooper8 »

Cusqueno wrote:
StellaLdn. wrote:But sellers who have taken the opinion of 'experts' on pricing often seem immune to reason. There has been someone selling most of the parts of a Lambert for £79.99, with a reserve(!), on eBay for months & months. I pointed out to the seller that the lack of a sale did suggest it was too expensive, but no, an expert had told her that that was the right price.

Both Stella and myself have independently communicated with this seller. It was on sale for £99 in the spring and has been on for a while. My guess is the front fork is somewhere among the rest of the stuff in the barn.
I really wanted it (mainly because it looked un-ridden and it had not only original pedals but original toe clips), but not anywhere in that price range.

Do you think the Lambert sold or not?

EDIT- Apologies, the one you mention Cusqueno is not the one I refer to above. I have now seen which one you mean.
StellaLdn.

Post by StellaLdn. »

Huh? Which bike do you refer to, John? I, too, thought it's the silver one for 79.99 (rude seller, she is). I was interested, mainly for the parts and offered a much lower price. Luckily, Steve told me to not go for it.

As for the Lambert I'm not impressed with: not sure; something about it doesn't seem right to me. Of course I love the chain ring and hubs, but I wouldn't bid on it. We're talking about the greenish/blue one, yes? That's what I meant, not the red one.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
-- Confucius

http://theviscountaffect.blogspot.co.uk/
Cusqueno

Post by Cusqueno »

I jumped from talking about the £150 green one to a short rant about the £79.99 silver part-bike tied up with string. (Nice bits but not worth, to my mind the start price, still less whatever the reserve is.)
Draper

Post by Draper »

Cusqueno wrote:I'm sure the weights are out there. I might even have some of them myself, somewhere. Sooper8 posted some from the 1982 Viscount catalogue on the Lambert and Viscount forum: http://viscountandlambert.boards.net/thread/26/viscount-prices

(Weight of Deore 18 should read 28)

My recollection is that the lightest of the fillet brazed Aerospace bikes were supposed to weigh 23lbs (just over 10kg). Of course, bikes with larger sized frames would have been a bit more.

Thanks Cusqueno, Lewisg and sprockit for the information, very useful.

Finally managed to accurately weigh my Indy 500 this morning, it weighs a shade over 29lbs or about 13.2 kgs. Which makes more sense! Needless to say the bathroom scales are now in the bin and the diet starts tomorrow :(
StellaLdn.

Post by StellaLdn. »

Ah, I thought so. And I agree. There are other original Lamberts, ready to ride and in mint condition that sold for 60 quit.
-- Confucius

Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

I was down at the Salvation Army charity shop yesterday and spotted this.

I will weight all of mine in due course and post up results...

drossall

Post by drossall »

Draper wrote:Finally managed to accurately weigh my Indy 500 this morning, it weighs a shade over 29lbs or about 13.2 kgs. Which makes more sense!

That would be a reasonable estimate for our Indy 500, which is definitely not the most lightweight of machines.
Bendo

Post by Bendo »

BTW, anyone seen Busaste lately? Hopefully he's flat out writing the Viscount Book!

b
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

Heard from him about 3 weeks ago. He's been busy and was hoping to get back on here soon. Otherwise he's fine.
StellaLdn.

Post by StellaLdn. »

Whippet wrote:Heard from him about 3 weeks ago. He's been busy and was hoping to get back on here soon. Otherwise he's fine.

Good to hear. He's like a force of nature. :-)
-- Confucius

Lewisg

Post by Lewisg »

$57.01 final price for the US Lambert on ebay. Gold pedals and all.

No money at all. Just goes to show how over-priced others are. Wouldn't fancy paying the postage though!!
StellaLdn.

Post by StellaLdn. »

Lewisg wrote:$57.01 final price for the US Lambert on ebay. Gold pedals and all.

No money at all. Just goes to show how over-priced others are. Wouldn't fancy paying the postage though!!

Ha! It's a shame (though lucky for us) they are selling at this low prices; they'd deserve to sell for thousands. There, I said it.
-- Confucius

triitout

Post by triitout »

I saw that you guys got walloped with a huge storm and power outages. Brought back bad memories of "Superstorm Sandy" at the one year anniversary. Be safe everyone :cry:
StellaLdn.

Post by StellaLdn. »

triitout wrote:I saw that you guys got walloped with a huge storm and power outages. Brought back bad memories of "Superstorm Sandy" at the one year anniversary. Be safe everyone :cry:

Ah, it wasn't that dramatic; at least not in London. Yes, a few disruptions and trees fallen, but other than that, nothing compared to what other countries are going through with severe flooding and loss of houses, etc.

There were, unfortunately, a few deaths, which is a real shame.
-- Confucius

Cusqueno

Post by Cusqueno »

These might be useful for people wanting to replace Lambert/Viscount alloy forks or for general use:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321238615584?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1398wt_764

Look nice, drilled for brake. 260mm steerer with plenty of thread. But in the Netherlands, so postage high, but not exorbitant.