Viscount bicycles!!

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
StellaLdn.

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Post by StellaLdn. »

Note to self: refresh gear-ratios. Anyway, I think your new bike will be smashing. You'll soon be the owner of two Viscounts, that's putting out of the misery of having to say 'only the one'. And they're build by the master himself. :D
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
-- Confucius

http://theviscountaffect.blogspot.co.uk/
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

Doubt it. Plan is the race the original but with more suitable wheels and ( especially ) gear ratios. The original is so nice, I thought it deserved to fulfill its destiny racing. I'll be doing club TT's and hopefully the odd road race at Castle Combe race circuit. Not expecting glory ( I'm currently rather slow ), but am training and hope to put a few carbon fibre noses out of joint.
StellaLdn.

Post by StellaLdn. »

Whippet wrote:Doubt it. Plan is the race the original but with more suitable wheels and ( especially ) gear ratios. The original is so nice, I thought it deserved to fulfill its destiny racing. I'll be doing club TT's and hopefully the odd road race at Castle Combe race circuit. Not expecting glory ( I'm currently rather slow ), but am training and hope to put a few carbon fibre noses out of joint.

Ah, I see. I thought it's a new bike. Still it's great to have wheels to swap. And I agree: the original is really nice. Want to see those faces of the CF group, when you overtake them. Priceless.
-- Confucius

petethetrike

Post by petethetrike »

Now Whippet has mentioned it,Holland sounds like a good place to launch a nice flat international DFR2.
Personally I'd settle for Lincolnshire as long as the wind's not doing it's usual thing!
Good luck with the T.T.ing.Please wash your mouth out with serious soap for mentioning the "T" word!!!
Cheers,
Pete.
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

Whippet wrote:
StellaLdn. wrote:
Whippet wrote:13 - 17.

Hardcore. :lol:

Thank you. What's the front? Certainly not 52/42?

Yeah, something like that. TT courses are generally pretty flat.

To clarify, these are for time trials only. I wouldn't fancy getting a puncture with tubulars on a regular ride.

I'd hate to jinx him, but my son has been riding the Aerospace Pro for 2 years on tubs without a puncture. I think they are pretty robust. I'd love some.
Bendo

Post by Bendo »

Apropos nothing at all, just wanted to point out that my hometown is suffering its fourth consecutive day over 40 degrees Celsius. Today's forecast is for 44. Yesterday reached 42 (it only got down to a low of 30 degrees overnight and was 37 degrees by 10am). The forecast for tomorrow is 40+ again, then a stormy change. It's bonkers!

I often think how lucky we are in Aus that we have such mild winters we can ride all year round. But this weather reminds me that it's our summers that can prevent us from going out on our bikes. The Metropolitan Ambulance Service has put out an official warning against any strenuous exercise outdoors: a Canadian player in the Aus Open was hallucinating on court before he had to retire...

Only prob is, it's too hot to even do tinkering! :( b
StellaLdn.

Post by StellaLdn. »

Bendo: I have a friend in Perth and he reports the same, far too hot. Although he dared to take the micturate by saying he's wondering how we can ever ride bikes in our weather. Ha! I think it rains less in the UK, well, in London, than in OZ during rain season. :lol:

I love the summer, but your temperatures would probably melt even me. Be careful when you're riding.
-- Confucius

Bendo

Post by Bendo »

Thanks Stella. No chance of that though. My car's thermometer registered the ambient temperature in the shade at 48 degrees a couple of days ago. And after 5 days of (officially) 43+ degrees the road is radiating almost as much heat as the sun! I reckon out there the temperature is north of 60 degrees. I'd be taking the "death" part of Death Fork Rally literally if I went for a ride today. b
StellaLdn.

Post by StellaLdn. »

Crikey, as good ol' Steve Irwin (RIP) used to say. I'd probably fall off the bike, melting into the tarmac. Nope, too hot.
That said, I'm back from the interview, which I thought went well, but it may just be my big-headed nature to think that way. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
It's far from hot here, though I felt quite hot, pedalling on the Cycle Superhighway along the Thames. On the way back it started to rain ... err ... heavily. And that after I cleaned the shiny new bike after a muddy trip yesterday. Did you know that Viscounts don't like to be ridden off-road much? :shock:
-- Confucius

petethetrike

Post by petethetrike »

Stella,my Aerospace Pro was ridden to and from work via a track used by sheep,across a gated level crossing through the best of the worst of the winter.
It was a ritual to clean the droppings from under the mud guards several times a day! Bearing in mind I was working shifts,and some journeys were at 5am, and others at 10.30pm.
I do remember a few wonderful evenings with the Hale Bopp comet in the late evening sky whilst cycling home and hoping to get to the village pub before it closed.
Happy times,ish!!!
Cheers,
Pete.
StellaLdn.

Post by StellaLdn. »

petethetrike wrote:Stella,my Aerospace Pro was ridden to and from work via a track used by sheep,across a gated level crossing through the best of the worst of the winter.
It was a ritual to clean the droppings from under the mud guards several times a day! Bearing in mind I was working shifts,and some journeys were at 5am, and others at 10.30pm.
I do remember a few wonderful evenings with the Hale Bopp comet in the late evening sky whilst cycling home and hoping to get to the village pub before it closed.
Happy times,ish!!!
Cheers,
Pete.

Uh, so they're fit for off-road then? :lol: Not really a fan of doing it with a Viscount, particularly not with my shiny new one, but it's my favourite bike at the moment due to it being a great ride and perfect fit. I feel one with this bike, so I take it everywhere. If I could I'd probably take it to bed, too. :mrgreen:
-- Confucius

petethetrike

Post by petethetrike »

Stella, make sure you clean under any mud guards first!!!! :lol: :lol:
Cheers,
Pete.
StellaLdn.

Post by StellaLdn. »

Well, lucky for me that I don't have mudguards. I have a mud catcher, though, it's called 'back of my jumper/jacket'.
-- Confucius

Cusqueno

Post by Cusqueno »

StellaLdn. wrote:
petethetrike wrote:Stella,my Aerospace Pro was ridden to and from work via a track used by sheep,across a gated level crossing through the best of the worst of the winter.
Happy times,ish!!!
Cheers,
Pete.

Uh, so they're fit for off-road then? :lol: Not really a fan of doing it with a Viscount, particularly not with my shiny new one, but it's my favourite bike at the moment due to it being a great ride and perfect fit. I feel one with this bike, so I take it everywhere. If I could I'd probably take it to bed, too. :mrgreen:

I recollect that Busaste has told me that, back in the day, there was a Viscount cyclo-cross team. Or at least that they were used for c-c. Complete with death forks(!)
StellaLdn.

Post by StellaLdn. »

Thanks, John. Interesting fact. Must say, though, I felt that I had a better 'grip' with my mountain bike in muddy terrain and my Viscounts perform best in sunshine on the road.
Had quite a bit of fun recently, when cycling in the city, when it goes slightly downhill (Farrington Rd./St.), I overtook pedalling cyclists whereas I was freewheeling. Although it may have to do with a gravity. :lol:
New bearings in the hubs, properly trued wheels, and Panaracers with the right pressure make THE difference. Bliss.
-- Confucius