Viscount bicycles!!

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Cusqueno

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Post by Cusqueno »

Oh dear! One less Viscount I'm afraid. The seat tube on my Aerospace Pro came unbrazed, where it meets the bottom bracket shell, on the way to work this morning. Unless there's a good brazer out there, the frame's heading for the trophy wall (actually my garden fence). If there's a 23" / 60 cm fillet brazed Aerospace frame out there in search of a good home ...
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

Cusqueno wrote:Oh dear! One less Viscount I'm afraid. The seat tube on my Aerospace Pro came unbrazed, where it meets the bottom bracket shell, on the way to work this morning. Unless there's a good brazer out there, the frame's heading for the trophy wall (actually my garden fence). If there's a 23" / 60 cm fillet brazed Aerospace frame out there in search of a good home ...

Oh dear, sorry to hear that...
I've got a Pro frame/fork with good smooth bb but it's either 21.5 or 22.
StellaLdn.

Post by StellaLdn. »

Cusqueno wrote:Oh dear! One less Viscount I'm afraid. The seat tube on my Aerospace Pro came unbrazed, where it meets the bottom bracket shell, on the way to work this morning. Unless there's a good brazer out there, the frame's heading for the trophy wall (actually my garden fence). If there's a 23" / 60 cm fillet brazed Aerospace frame out there in search of a good home ...

So sorry to hear. Seems like you got one of 'those' that prove even a Viscount isn't perfect. I think Bob Jackson does fillet brazing. I'll ask around and let you know. Shame.

I think you'd be fine with a 22" frame as you're about the same height as me, so maybe take up Sooper on his offer ...

By the way: I noticed that the two of my 22" Sports are different in top tube length, I think. I'll have to measure again tomorrow, but I feel the geometry is different. Could that be? Both are (I think 1976 frames). Really weird.
Last edited by StellaLdn. on 7 Feb 2014, 9:20pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
-- Confucius

http://theviscountaffect.blogspot.co.uk/
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

I'll measure in day light and get back on this. The fork bit that was chromed is rusty though. Other than that a decent frame
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

Whippet wrote:Nice honest one here:
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewit ... 1308799903

Presume it's an International. Same co!our and rear mech as the one I had at school. 58cm as well.

£90 seems like the seller did quite well. I wonder if this thread really is impacting the price of Viscounts ( or are all old steel bikes more desirable )?
StellaLdn.

Post by StellaLdn. »

I think people are going more and more for 'old' bikes. It's a trend. Or maybe they really just appreciate the beauty of older bikes. I get quite a few visits on my blog and many searching for Viscounts, mostly in UK and US, some in the Netherlands. There are people out there who seems to either research or care for the bikes.
-- Confucius

Bendo

Post by Bendo »

What a pity! I'd definitely hang onto the frame though, because, as Tony Soprano once said, "God ain't makin' any more of 'em." I have a guy who does beautiful fillet brazing. He might be a bit far away from you though...

b
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

Bendo wrote:
Cusqueno wrote:
What a pity! I'd definitely hang onto the frame though, because, as Tony Soprano once said, "God ain't makin' any more of 'em."

b

Was that series 2 episode 1 , where Christopher almost sells his Aerospace Pro after an offer from the boss of another family?
Lewisg

Post by Lewisg »

Sorry to hear about the bike Cusqueno. I trust you weren't hurt?
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

Whippet wrote:
Whippet wrote:Nice honest one here:
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewit ... 1308799903

Presume it's an International. Same co!our and rear mech as the one I had at school. 58cm as well.

£90 seems like the seller did quite well. I wonder if this thread really is impacting the price of Viscounts ( or are all old steel bikes more desirable )?

London price. We wouldn't pay that kind of money up here.... :lol:

Here was my post on just such a topic (ie Viscount prices)
http://viscountandlambert.boards.net/th ... lity-check
StellaLdn.

Post by StellaLdn. »

You may be right there. The Sprint was 90 originally, but I haggled and got it for 70. And it's not even an aerospace frame.
-- Confucius

Cusqueno

Post by Cusqueno »

Lewisg wrote:Sorry to hear about the bike Cusqueno. I trust you weren't hurt?

Thanks for asking. I was going steadily on a straight stretch, just after pulling away from some lights, when I heard squeaking I didn't recognise. Once I looked down and saw what had happened I pulled over quickly (but smoothly!). So no harm to me.
StellaLdn.

Post by StellaLdn. »

Cusqueno wrote:
Lewisg wrote:Sorry to hear about the bike Cusqueno. I trust you weren't hurt?

Thanks for asking. I was going steadily on a straight stretch, just after pulling away from some lights, when I heard squeaking I didn't recognise. Once I looked down and saw what had happened I pulled over quickly (but smoothly!). So no harm to me.

Glad to hear. Sorry for not asking; I assumed you're fine as you'd probably said something if it weren't the case. Goes to show how delicate fillet brazing really is.
-- Confucius

Cusqueno

Post by Cusqueno »

StellaLdn. wrote:Glad to hear. Sorry for not asking; I assumed you're fine as you'd probably said something if it weren't the case. Goes to show how delicate fillet brazing really is.

I reckon 35+ years isn't bad for a lightweight frame. And how many are still fine? My lugged Aerospace 400 broke first (cracked across the bb shell). Another non-life threatening failure. How many CF frames will last as long, used daily on London's roads in all weathers?
StellaLdn.

Post by StellaLdn. »

That's true. Particularly dangerous when they break at the top/down tube. I'm taking regular longer rides now, luckily the red frame was checked properly; I expect it to last for many years to come.

I'll send you a message as soon as I find out who could help you with the fillet brazing.
-- Confucius