Viscount bicycles!!

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Stoatie

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Post by Stoatie »

Well seeing as the idea was out there I went ahead and created one http://app.strava.com/clubs/53227, feel free to join up. It would be nice to see how others are getting along with their beloved Viscounts.

Anyone manage to get out and enjoy the sun today? I planned to, got up nice and early all set and ready to leave, went to put some air in the tires and broke my track pump. Fine I thought hand pump it is, got the tyre pumped up, took the pump of the valve and promptly snapped the end of the valve off. :x . I gave up hope at this point went back in, had a cuppa then disappeared down the allotment for the day.
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

Stoatie wrote:Well seeing as the idea was out there I went ahead and created one http://app.strava.com/clubs/53227, feel free to join up. It would be nice to see how others are getting along with their beloved Viscounts.

Anyone manage to get out and enjoy the sun today? I planned to, got up nice and early all set and ready to leave, went to put some air in the tires and broke my track pump. Fine I thought hand pump it is, got the tyre pumped up, took the pump of the valve and promptly snapped the end of the valve off. :x . I gave up hope at this point went back in, had a cuppa then disappeared down the allotment for the day.

I will join up now. EDIT- just had a look on the Strava app. I don't quite get how to join a group- is it the premium paid for version?

Yes, I got out this afternoon. Lovely weather for it.Sorry to hear about your misfortune with the pump, but allotment must have been a decent second to a ride?
3 by Sooper 8, on Flickr
Lewisg

Post by Lewisg »

Stoatie wrote:OK all this talk of touring seems to be contagious, I've just become Audax UK's newest member :shock: . Hopefully should start eating up the miles or rather kilometre's as they say in France. I for one am definitely interested in joining you for the long haul for DFR3

On a side note does anyone else use strava for logging their rides, was thinking of creating a Viscount Club page on there.

Excellent news Stoatie. Where are you in Cornwall? You're definately the closest member to myself (in East Devon) from what I've seen on here.

I have Strava on iphone but have barely used it. Does seem good though.

Edit - went out for a quick ride this morning. First pleasure ride in as long as I can remember! So nice not to have tons of layers and a bag on my back.
Stoatie

Post by Stoatie »

Sooper8 wrote:I will join up now. EDIT- just had a look on the Strava app. I don't quite get how to join a group- is it the premium paid for version?

No it's not the premium version, I don't need the computer to tell me how much I've suffered. Not sure on how to do it on the app but on the website version there is a tab at the top called explore, click that then below that there is another tab to search for clubs.
Sooper8 wrote:Yes, I got out this afternoon. Lovely weather for it.Sorry to hear about your misfortune with the pump, but allotment must have been a decent second to a ride?

Lewisg wrote:Excellent news Stoatie. Where are you in Cornwall? You're definately the closest member to myself (in East Devon) from what I've seen on here.

I have Strava on iphone but have barely used it. Does seem good though.

Edit - went out for a quick ride this morning. First pleasure ride in as long as I can remember! So nice not to have tons of layers and a bag on my back.

Glad to see someone got out, I'm down in Redruth so not that far from you Lewis.
triitout

Post by triitout »

Just joined the Viscount Strava group. Another great way to stay connected. We've got about 2 feet of snow on the ground and sub freezing temps so it's gonna be wind trainer rides on the Gran Touring and Vitus for the time being. Enjoy your great weather over there 8)
busaste

Post by busaste »

Sooper8 wrote:So, is anyone here doing the Eroica Britannia on a Viscount?

I might. At least Viscount bikes and their riders qualify for the event. Here is what Rule 1 says on the L'Eroica website:

"Only cyclists with "heroic" bicycles will be permitted to participate"

That'll be us then :wink:
busaste

Post by busaste »

Sooper8 wrote:
busaste wrote:Can't ride and barely walk at the moment because something has gone badly wrong with my right hip. I've been unable to sit on a bike for 5 weeks. It's a nightmare that seems to have no end :(

Oh no, really sorry to hear that! Hope you can get on the mend soon. Best wishes

Thanks for everyone's best wishes!

Still well and truly laid up :(

Maybe it is just me, but when I am like this, all I want to do is eat chocolate :D .

This is not good...
busaste

Post by busaste »

Stoatie wrote:On a side note does anyone else use strava for logging their rides, was thinking of creating a Viscount Club page on there.

Strewth, I am still using OS maps and a piece of string :lol:
busaste

Post by busaste »

Stoatie wrote:went to put some air in the tires and broke my track pump. Fine I thought hand pump it is, got the tyre pumped up, took the pump of the valve and promptly snapped the end of the valve off.

See, I said us 'heroic' Viscount riders were made from girders!

:)

Hetchin (ask yer dad) riders bedecked in tweed and stout Churchill Brogues please pass, if yer dare!
busaste

Post by busaste »

3 by Sooper 8, on Flickr[/quote]

Blimey, that bike looks good! Nice morale booster :)

The 'deerhead' RD is worth a few bob too. What more could you want?!
Lewisg

Post by Lewisg »

drossall wrote:I take it you guys have noticed this saddle on sale? Usual disclaimer, nothing to do with me.

Good tip-off Drossall. Happy to say I won it. Now hoping I will be able to re-shape it without destroying it. Will have to see how brittle it feels and go easy. It'd be a shame just to have it sitting on a shelf when I could be sitting on it on my Pro. :)
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

Lewisg wrote:
drossall wrote:I take it you guys have noticed this saddle on sale? Usual disclaimer, nothing to do with me.

Good tip-off Drossall. Happy to say I won it. Now hoping I will be able to re-shape it without destroying it. Will have to see how brittle it feels and go easy. It'd be a shame just to have it sitting on a shelf when I could be sitting on it on my Pro. :)

Congratulations! Get working that dubbin in. It will look great.
WrightsW5

Post by WrightsW5 »

Hello Lewis,
The saddle feels nice and flexible, none of it seems brittle that i've noticed. I would guess you could just ride it without reshaping, although I didn't try it on a bike myself, maybe more of a cosmetic thing. (?)
Please, for the saddle's sake, only use Proofide.
Lewisg

Post by Lewisg »

WrightsW5 wrote:Hello Lewis,
The saddle feels nice and flexible, none of it seems brittle that i've noticed. I would guess you could just ride it without reshaping, although I didn't try it on a bike myself, maybe more of a cosmetic thing. (?)
Please, for the saddle's sake, only use Proofide.

Hi Stephen,

Yeah it does look fine (good pictures thanks). I can't wait to get it on my Aerospace Pro but will have a go at getting the kink out. I promise to be gentle! And it will be proofide.

Thanks!
drossall

Post by drossall »

Glad to be of service :D