Viscount bicycles!!

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Bendo

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Post by Bendo »

AN IMPORTANT TIP FOR REMOVING FREEWHEELS!

Some freewheels have quite shallow indentations into which the removal tool is supposed to fit (yes I'm looking at you Dura Ace!). If you put the tool in a vice and sit the wheel on top of it and try to turn it, you won't get enough purchase and at best the exercise will be pointless. At worst you'll damage the freewheel and make it impossible to remove next time. The answer however is devilishly simple!

Use a long quick release skewer to clamp the removal tool into place. As you loosen the freewheel you'll have to also loosen the skewer, but make sure you keep it tight enough not to allow it to slip and burr the freewheel.

Standard two and four prong (Suntour style) removal tools don't have this issue so much, although I do it this way with any freewheel these days. Especially if it's a hard to find freewheel like the aforementioned skip-tooth, or a Suntour Pro Compe Ultra-spaced 6 speed 13-32!

But it's the only way to do it with a Dura Ace freewheel, where the tool's protuberances are less "prongs" and more "nubs". :) b

Hunterliney

Post by Hunterliney »

Stella, you are perfectly correct - age alone does not impart knowledge (Personal experience bears that one out).

I guess that it's just a reminder that I am no longer 18 and built like a racing snake!

Sooper8 - I certainly will. My daughter lives in Ashby, so heading north is a regular occurrence.

Regards

Alyn
A

"To the uneducated, an A is just three sticks." - AA Milne
Stoatie

Post by Stoatie »

Well I got the new tyre's glued up over the past week, also fitted stainless cable clips to the top tube and got some proper clamps for the bottle cage.

Had a few problems with getting the brakes to meet the rim at the front, so the forks must be for 27x1 1/4 unlike the 700c that I originally thought.

Went to go out today, only to get a little way up the road to realise that the rear dérailleur needed some adjustment. Back to the garage adjusted the dérailleur, rear brakes now hitting the tyre. Undo the brakes to see what's going on to find out that I must have overtightened them and consequently squashed the seat-stay bridge.

So no sooner was it back on the road it was back off again.
Goldie

Post by Goldie »

It looks badass in that battleship grey - it reminds me of Image
Lewisg

Post by Lewisg »

Would anybody mind providing me with a simpletons guide to which crankset/parts I need to look for to go with my Lambert porthole chainring (obviously excepting Lambert cranks)!?

I've seen TAs recommended and they certainly seem the best choice but does it have to be a 5-hole crank? Similar guidance for the inner chainring etc etc.

There are just too many holes on the porthole ring for me to be certain I'm working it out correctly!!

Thanks in anticipation.
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

Any Viscount/Lambert Lovers going to any of the Midlands Bike Jumbles tomorrow?

EDIT- Today, 1st March.
I've opted for the Long Eaton one, so if you are going, see you there!

EDIT- I'm going to Erdington!
Hunterliney

Post by Hunterliney »

I am now reading pages numbered in the 80's on this thread................... wow!

Stella - I want to be in your position by this time next year....... from a standing start to your present level of skill and knowledge in a year? Starting your own business (I know how stressful that is) Respect!!

Sooper8 - Funds allowing, and the right bike (not sure what yet, but will know when I see it) at the right price (gotta be fairly cheap) in the right size (huge) and condition (good clean original - concourse would be wasted on me) turning up........ the hunt is indeed on! So any leads in the midlands.... cough!

My LBS have managed to dismantle the freewheel and are awaiting bearings. I have resisted the urge to change the front wheel bearings, they feel OK - if it ain't broke etc. I think that the risk of damaging the hub outweighs the potential benefit of new bearings.

Back to the earlier installments.......

Regards

Alyn
A

"To the uneducated, an A is just three sticks." - AA Milne
StellaLdn.

Post by StellaLdn. »

Hunterliney wrote:I am now reading pages numbered in the 80's on this thread................... wow!

Stella - I want to be in your position by this time next year....... from a standing start to your present level of skill and knowledge in a year? Starting your own business (I know how stressful that is) Respect!!

Sooper8 - Funds allowing, and the right bike (not sure what yet, but will know when I see it) at the right price (gotta be fairly cheap) in the right size (huge) and condition (good clean original - concourse would be wasted on me) turning up........ the hunt is indeed on! So any leads in the midlands.... cough!

My LBS have managed to dismantle the freewheel and are awaiting bearings. I have resisted the urge to change the front wheel bearings, they feel OK - if it ain't broke etc. I think that the risk of damaging the hub outweighs the potential benefit of new bearings.

Back to the earlier installments.......

Regards

Alyn

Aww. I had a lot of help from the guys on this thread. :-) And I'm still getting a lot of things wrong, too. Thank you, though. It's been a mad ride since May last year, and I enjoyed every second of it (still am).
Congratulations on the freewheel. Did they dismantle it or did they get it off the hub? Hope you'll be able to use the freewheel.
Re the front bearings: you could carefully try to get the rubber seal off, then put some grease in there and put the seals back on. Best to use a needle or very thin nail. If they feel fine, though, probably best--as you said--to leave them alone.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
-- Confucius

http://theviscountaffect.blogspot.co.uk/
Lewisg

Post by Lewisg »

Had my first ride with the old Viscount saddle on the Pro today. It's super comfortable and feels like it could aid my so far failed attempts at no-handed riding (my balance is pretty poor). But unfortunately I think it looks a bit too scruffy against my attempts at making the Pro shine.

I'll give it a few more rides to see how it settles in and perhaps use some leather stain to improve the appearance of the cracks. If I still don't like the look (I'm not even that convinced by my San Marco) I may try it on the Sport or even stick it on the kids Sprint for fun. (Sorry Stephen - I did try. And do love it anyway)!
StellaLdn.

Post by StellaLdn. »

Lewisg wrote:Had my first ride with the old Viscount saddle on the Pro today. It's super comfortable and feels like it could aid my so far failed attempts at no-handed riding (my balance is pretty poor). But unfortunately I think it looks a bit too scruffy against my attempts at making the Pro shine.

I'll give it a few more rides to see how it settles in and perhaps use some leather stain to improve the appearance of the cracks. If I still don't like the look (I'm not even that convinced by my San Marco) I may try it on the Sport or even stick it on the kids Sprint for fun. (Sorry Stephen - I did try. And do love it anyway)!

You know, I'm reconstituting an old (pretty battered) Brooks saddle. Not sure if it's the correct way, but I first rubbed massive amounts of olive oil on it, then polished it off. After that I smothered it in Palmer's Cocoa Butter. Did that with my other second hand Brooks saddle and it came out nicely. Needs to be polished properly, though, or you get a stained backside. :shock:
-- Confucius

WrightsW5

Post by WrightsW5 »

Lewisg wrote:Had my first ride with the old Viscount saddle on the Pro today. It's super comfortable and feels like it could aid my so far failed attempts at no-handed riding (my balance is pretty poor). But unfortunately I think it looks a bit too scruffy against my attempts at making the Pro shine.

That's ok, it has obviously had a lot of use in the past so it is what it is :)
triitout

Post by triitout »

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who can't ride no hands. I'm also balance challenged and as per my doc, it's part of the joys of aging. One thing that I've found that helps immensely, is changing to a wider handlebar with a shallow bend. When I try to ride the old stock Viscount handlebars, it's not pretty. I switched to 44cm shallow drop bars on my Pro and single speed conversion and it's really amazingly more rideable for balance challenged individuals. It's not for the purists amongst us but when I think Viscount, I think aerospace frame and beautiful port-hole crankset and don't think about the bars. The more rideable the bike, the more I ride. 8)
Cusqueno

Post by Cusqueno »

Lewisg wrote:Would anybody mind providing me with a simpletons guide to which crankset/parts I need to look for to go with my Lambert porthole chainring (obviously excepting Lambert cranks)!?

I've seen TAs recommended and they certainly seem the best choice but does it have to be a 5-hole crank? Similar guidance for the inner chainring etc etc.

I don't know if I'm saying what is already well known, but the Lambert / Viscount crank (the drive side one anyway) that fits the porthole chainring has the five fixing holes on a 50.4 mm pitch circle diameter (pcd) - i.e. the circle, centred on the centre of the spindle, on which the holes lie. I don't know why it's 50.4mm. This is just a whisker under the metric equivalent of two inches (which would be 50.8mm). Indeed, the cranks that fit this standard are sometimes described as 50.8 or even 51mm pcd. Back in the day, it was quite a common standard, particularly for cranksets intended for touring, perhaps because it was easier to fit a small third chainring if the spider was small?
As you say, TA made a popular crankset ('Cyclotouriste') with the 50.4 pcd. Stronglight was another - I think their offering is the '49D' model (confusing eh?). These are often seen on eBay, although the price is creeping up and you might expect to pay £40 or more for a decent used set. Stronglight is more desirable than the TA version, but looks less like a Viscount crank because of the different fluting. Quite a few other manufacturers made cranks that will fit the Viscount chain rings - I have a Zeus one for instance and even Shimano for a brief period produced a version in the early Deore group. All these are alloy, there were also steel versions produced (Williams?)
With regard to fixing all this together, to assemble fully a Lambert / Viscount double chainset requires seventeen fixings of three different sorts, counting each assembly of screw, nut, washers and spacer (as required) as one fixing. And of course, you need two sizes of Allen key, a spanner and a screw driver. Apart from the fitting of the crank to the large chainwheel, hese are likely to be different from any of the fixings used by TA, Stronglight &c.
A big question is however, what bottom bracket spindle you will fit the crank to. If everything is Viscount from the same era, there is a reasonable chance that the tapers will be compatible and give you the correct chainline. However, Lambert / Viscount changed tapers from time to time, including the notorious untapered early version, and there is no guarantee that a particular manufacturer's crank will fit well with a Viscount spindle, or vice versa. But I'll leave it to someone else to talk tapers.
Hope this is helpful or interesting.
StellaLdn.

Post by StellaLdn. »

Cusqueno: that's a wonderful information there. I'll have the same problem and you've provided--as usual--helpful advice. Just to add to this; Busaste told me that if you have the spindle with three grooves, the porthole chain ring would fit perfect, or better: if you want for the porthole chain ring to fit perfectly, you'll need the one with three grooves. If I remember correctly, Shawn has exactly that one (Busaste wisely sent me the one back then), so I can use it for my upcoming project since Shawn needs repairing/respraying.
-- Confucius

Lewisg

Post by Lewisg »

Thanks for the info Cusqueno!

Certainly interesting but to be honest way over my head to be useful at the moment!

I'll re-read it after some more perusal of parts and a closer look at my existing BB and inner chainring. I wouldn't be doing anything with it pre-DFR2 so will take a look at some of the real things there and compare!