Viscount bicycles!!

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Whippet

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Post by Whippet »

Entered the Sport into a Club Time Trial today. She did held her own despite being surrounded by youngsters:
Attachments
1947756_10152307518666838_2062844571_n.jpg
StellaLdn.

Post by StellaLdn. »

What a beauty--compared to the youngster. Goes to show, though, that it's always down to the rider, not the bike, if two lightweights meet, that is.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
-- Confucius

http://theviscountaffect.blogspot.co.uk/
Bendo

Post by Bendo »

Whippet wrote:Entered the Sport into a Club Time Trial today. She did held her own despite being surrounded by youngsters:

What a great shot! All you need is a strong crosswind and your man on the Sepcialized is toast. hehe!

But seriously, kudos to you Whippet, that takes some balls turning up to a serious TT with your VA Sport. In my experience there are an awful lot of knobs in the road-racing fraternity who would (and do) happily criticise any bike older than 5 years old. Hope your club's not like that.

b
drossall

Post by drossall »

Not in our club. You can ride anything you like. And that's not even counting the Christmas event, when we've had a Raleigh Chopper and a unicycle...

Anyway, a TT is not a road race in usual terminology.
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

Bendo wrote:
Whippet wrote:Entered the Sport into a Club Time Trial today. She did held her own despite being surrounded by youngsters:

What a great shot! All you need is a strong crosswind and your man on the Sepcialized is toast. hehe!

But seriously, kudos to you Whippet, that takes some balls turning up to a serious TT with your VA Sport. In my experience there are an awful lot of knobs in the road-racing fraternity who would (and do) happily criticise any bike older than 5 years old. Hope your club's not like that.

b

No, they're OK. Pretty much everyone was admiring and complimenting it. The club star ( national vets champion and 3rd in the world track persuit champs in 2013 ) was admiring it so I broached the possibility that he should borrow it for one of the club ten mile TT's. On a good day this bloke still does a 10 in less than 20 minutes, and I'm sure he could kick some carbon fibre butt on the Sport. He said he'd done a TT where everyone was on non aero bikes recently, but I don't think he quite understood that he should ride my bike against faster machines and be at a disadvantage.
drossall

Post by drossall »

I once got overtaken on another club's sporting 10 course by someone who had, for some reason, decided to put his racing wheels into his mountain bike and ride that. He was going a lot faster than I was on a full racing machine...
StellaLdn.

Post by StellaLdn. »

I once rode with someone like that. He left me for dust!
-- Confucius

Cusqueno

Post by Cusqueno »

(Usual disclaimer - Lidl is nothing to do with me. In fact I rather dislike the company because of their poor labour practices and because they once fined me £45 for using their car park for half an hour longer than they thought I needed while spending £125 with them. But, if swallowing my pride means saving a few £££...)

You might like to be aware that Lidl is selling some bike-related goods this week. The bike work stand seems good value at £30 - it looks the same as, or at least very similar to, one I paid £50 for on eBay a couple of years ago. The chain wash kits @ £3.99 look very much like ones that are usually about £8 from bike shops or on-line. And, for those that continue to commute in the winter, or ride in the dark, £5.99 for a rechargeable LED lighting set is good, even if it only lasts one winter. (Realistically this set is probably for lit roads rather than dark lanes - i.e. to be seen rather than to see.) There are some tools, but personally I wouldn't buy them as (IMHO) cheap tools are usually made from a steel more akin to chocolate than metal. But again, they might be worth having in your pocket even if they only last a short while.
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

Cusqueno wrote:(Usual disclaimer - Lidl is nothing to do with me. In fact I rather dislike the company because of their poor labour practices and because they once fined me £45 for using their car park for half an hour longer than they thought I needed while spending £125 with them. But, if swallowing my pride means saving a few £££...)

You might like to be aware that Lidl is selling some bike-related goods this week. The bike work stand seems good value at £30 - it looks the same as, or at least very similar to, one I paid £50 for on eBay a couple of years ago..

I admire anyone who takes a principled stand on such issues. There is a guy on here who will not buy from Amazon due to the fact that they don't pay a penny tax here in UK. I support that and applaud him, but really struggle to make ends meet at the moment and if I see a bargain , I can't 'afford' to self reflect on my conscience and morals for too long. And if I was being a purist about things, I'd say that living in this particular society would inevitably lead me into jobs/situations/consuming things that would conflict with many of my political and moral views, but bottom line is I'm not John the Baptist and I need to wear clothes that have been made in a factory somewhere.
However, I will most often buy used clothes, furniture, bikes and try and source locally grown sustainable food. It's a shame that it's so expensive to be morally congruent with oneself. (I haven't bought a bike from new since 1980 though but not totally through any political/recycling standpoint)

Anyway, to get to my point, I have that Lidl bike stand (I bought last year) and at £30 it is superb and just about the best £30 I have spent on anything bike related. If I had to justify it to myself I'd say that if there was a revolution then I would be a valuable asset as I could man the barricades and run about distributing leaflets because my knees are still in reasonable working order due to not kneeling now I have the bike stand!
Vive le revolution and vive le Viscount!
StellaLdn.

Post by StellaLdn. »

I'll probably get that stand for my home use. Would love to have a Kestrel, but that's out of my price range for the time being. I normally take my bikes to my lbs as I can use their workshop, but it would be great if I could just have my own. We need a second work stand in the container (if we ever get to move in) anyway.

Well, what I originally came here for today is the following beauty that caught my eye yesterday and today, I'd decided to take pictures. I think if that bike's cleaned up, it'll be top! Love the graphics.
Attachments
Pres.3.jpg
Pres.2.jpg
President.jpg
-- Confucius

Whippet

Post by Whippet »

Great bike Stella, not many manufacturers would go to the trouble of colour matching a kick stand!
StellaLdn.

Post by StellaLdn. »

I think it's a beauty. My guess is that the person bought the bike 'new' second hand. It's in good nick and locked the correct way, too. And the tyres are new. That person seems to care about the bike. I think I'll stop by and leave a message to the boards today. :-)
-- Confucius

Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

Hi Viscount and Lambert lovers!

Just a reminder that the Death Fork Rally this year is on Saturday 28th June.
Please let people know, and put it in your diary.
Last year was great fun and everyone who came had a jolly wonderful time.

The venue this summer isn't confirmed yet but it will hopefully be central (in England).

Some of us camped over last year and are planning to do so again this year.
So, if you intend to come and are thinking of camping over then we are in the process of finalising plans over here
http://viscountandlambert.boards.net/th ... mping-base

Please take a look and let me know.

It would be helpful to get a rough idea of numbers. But don't forget- all are welcome and you don't need to book. It's not L'Eroica or anything, it's DFR2!
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

UPDATE- Quite close to finalising a venue for this. Will post up soon

Date is Saturday 28th June. Aiming for 11am ride.

If you need overnight camping/motorhome/ hedge for bivvy bag/luxury hotel/B&B. Drop me a pm.
Lewisg

Post by Lewisg »

Anyone looking at the Viscount International 'Alamo' in eBay?

I won't be bidding unfortunately but it's another I've not seen before and strangely beautiful.

Would make a great partner to a Tulsa!