Viscount bicycles!!

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Lewisg

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Post by Lewisg »

Sooper8 wrote:Great spot!

I'd say 100% Viscount , but I might say a 'Sport...

Great screen-grab!

Yeah those forks definately aren't Pro, I wound back twice and based it on the demarcation bands and the writing on the crossbar. Looks like 2 words to me so perhaps a Grand Sport?

Shame he didn't ride it in the movie!
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

I'd love to know the story of why it's in the movie.

Maybe it's Jonny Lee Miller's, or a production assistant or some other story.
I deduce from the relative height of the saddle to the bars that it's not used for serious racing (the seat seems too low in relation?) so maybe they just grabbed it off Gumtree when they needed a prop?
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

Great spot Lewisg!
StellaLdn.

Post by StellaLdn. »

Eagle eyes, Lewsig!

Just watched that film recently and didn't see it.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
-- Confucius

http://theviscountaffect.blogspot.co.uk/
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

Hello Viscount and Lambert Lovers!

I'm just bumping this up, so casual browsers of the forum don't miss it.

Death Fork Rally 2

Saturday 28th June, 2014 - 11am meet up for 11.15am circular ride of 18 miles.(with pub at 9 miles )

Venue- Rolleston on Dove , near Burton on Trent, Staffordshire

Everyone welcome. Last years event was very successful and very good fun. This year we will be having a bring and swap of Viscount and Lambert parts, bikes, and stuff.

If you wish to stay over on the Friday and/or Saturday night on nearby camp site, then about half a dozen of us are already booked in and you would need to drop me a line if you want to get on to the same camp site.

There's 2 decent pubs within 3 mins walk of the site. Both do bar snacks and meals.

There is also a good convenience store within 4 mins walk.

Burton on Trent is the nearest main railway station (connection via Derby, Birmingham New Street or Stoke),it's a 20 min bike ride from station to rally start place- but you can get a connecting train from Derby to Tutbury & Hatton which is very close too ,then it's about 2 miles from station from rally start place... (connection to this one via Derby/Stoke line)

More details over on Viscount and Lambert Forum.
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

Just bumping the above post up.

Seeing as the decent weather is now here, you might fancy booking this in your diary? it's going to be a great day out with some vintage Lambert and Viscount bikes -and some vintage Lambert and Viscount owners :lol: .

The ride is not hilly and would suit most folks. Or just come along for the meet up and exchange of information and spares (and maybe even the odd bike or two for sale/swap?)

And if that wasn't enough, I will be bringing this little summer beauty along for fun rides to the pub, shop etc.
photo 1 by Sooper 8, on Flickr

DF Rally 5 by Sooper 8, on Flickr
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

Quite looking forward to trying the folder Jem.
busaste

Post by busaste »

Sooper8 wrote:Great spot!

I'd say 100% Viscount , but I might say a 'Sport...

That bike is a '78 Viscount Aerospace Sport. I'd stake my life on it, especially having stripped, cleaned and rebuilt one just like it!
busaste

Post by busaste »

StellaLdn. wrote:Oh, I'd like to keep my levers. There's original and therefore need to stay. I only ever brake with them when going slow, or in 'emergency' when I don't have the time to switch positions. If they snap (which they tend to, I think) then at least I've got a bit of brake force, whereas with switching hand positions it may have been too late.
Long story short: I love them. Guess I'll find a different solution or buy the hoods and amend them accordingly. :-)

Some of Viscount's USA Aerospace bikes did have full rubber brake hoods and 'suicide' levers. Weinmann also used to make rubber hoods for their brakes with extension/asafety/suicide/insert other levers too.

'Suicide' levers can be made to work really well. I've found that if you have about 1/8" clearance between the brake blocks and the wheel rim (well built wheels helps with this!) and good quality brake cables the amount of suicide lever movement is minimal. As long as both levers are used together I can stop my bikes really quickly with them, even in the wet. I've found that Shimano's suicide levers are the best; they are quite a chunky design with minimal flex.
busaste

Post by busaste »

Cusqueno wrote:The Cane Creek ones seem good. I have just put a pair on Dura Ace 1st Gen (non-aero) levers and they are fine. A good fit and not too difficult to get on.
Having some difficulty with the GrandBois site. Pictures look interesting, but I don't read Japanese so navigating the site is a lottery. Interestingly, Google Translate refuses to translate, saying it's already in English - perhaps on the strength of a couple of English words on the page.

Even better are Cane Creek's trad style brake blocks. Minimal rim damage (crucial that as some makes are like rim skimming tools :( ), good stopping power and long life. Best I've ever used bar none.

Can't recommend them enough!
busaste

Post by busaste »

Whippet wrote:Entered the Sport into a Club Time Trial today. She did held her own despite being surrounded by youngsters:

Gorgeous, sleek, stylish and superbly engineered bike! Oh, and there's a Specialized next to it. :lol:
busaste

Post by busaste »

Sooper8 wrote:Hi Viscount and Lambert lovers!

Just a reminder that the Death Fork Rally this year is on Saturday 28th June.
Please let people know, and put it in your diary.
Last year was great fun and everyone who came had a jolly wonderful time.

The venue this summer isn't confirmed yet but it will hopefully be central (in England).

Some of us camped over last year and are planning to do so again this year.
So, if you intend to come and are thinking of camping over then we are in the process of finalising plans over here
http://viscountandlambert.boards.net/th ... mping-base

Please take a look and let me know.

It would be helpful to get a rough idea of numbers. But don't forget- all are welcome and you don't need to book. It's not L'Eroica or anything, it's DFR2!

Despite my 'health' problems, I'll be there, even if I have to drive round!
busaste

Post by busaste »

triitout wrote:Image

Mrs triitout very kindly has pitched in with a poster/invitation to DFR2 for all to enjoy. Anyone wanting a pdf of it can P.M. me.

I love it! Hats off to your wife!
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

DF Rally 4 by Sooper 8, on Flickr
Hunterliney

Post by Hunterliney »

Wow!!!!!!!
A

"To the uneducated, an A is just three sticks." - AA Milne