Viscount bicycles!!

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
StellaLdn.

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Post by StellaLdn. »

Hi, and welcome, Hughgabriel.

Congratulations on your new bike and, as Sooper said, you'll probably fall madly in love and that bike will quickly get some company. :-) Viscounts and Lamberts all came with those sealed bearing hubs, even if they're unbranded, I'm pretty sure they're original. Like others, I'd like to see pictures of the bike. It sounds like it's in a good condition, which is not as easy to find. In case you don't know yet, Sooper has created a forum for all things Viscount and Lambert related: http://viscountandlambert.boards.net/

Please feel free to pop by, sign up, and share your experiences with those wonderful bikes. Any questions, we'll always try to help.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
-- Confucius

http://theviscountaffect.blogspot.co.uk/
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

Cusqueno wrote:Sooper8

I like the idea of 'posing up some pictures'. Something us Viscount owners do well?

John

Yes, I meant to type that :oops: (in my defence I wasn't totally awake)
hughgabriel

Post by hughgabriel »

StellaLdn. wrote:Hi, and welcome, Hughgabriel.

Congratulations on your new bike and, as Sooper said, you'll probably fall madly in love and that bike will quickly get some company. :-) Viscounts and Lamberts all came with those sealed bearing hubs, even if they're unbranded, I'm pretty sure they're original. Like others, I'd like to see pictures of the bike. It sounds like it's in a good condition, which is not as easy to find. In case you don't know yet, Sooper has created a forum for all things Viscount and Lambert related: http://viscountandlambert.boards.net/

Please feel free to pop by, sign up, and share your experiences with those wonderful bikes. Any questions, we'll always try to help.

The frame is in reasonable shape, no dents or dings, but some surface rust particularly on the seat stays. All the brightwork has seen better days and the seat clamp, pump mounts and rear brake cable clamps around the top tube are very rusty. Still at least they're there. The bars were corroded and the plastic hoods of the Weinman brake levers were disintegrating, so I have replaced both with a bar and alloy hooded levers (still Weinmann) which I saved from a Raleigh winner which was otherwise dead.

Bottom bracket is smooth and appears to be the original circlip type, not sure about the chainset. The rear derailleur has cleaned up fine but the front was corroded solid so I have replaced with a Shimano 600 (same as the shifters that were on the bike).
Hubs and rims are good but the spokes are well gone and in places their thickness visibly reduced by rust. They passed the bunny hop test but really need replacing on safety grounds.

I was hoping to get some pictures this evening but ran out of light while fettling my main bike (a 2007 Focus Izalco Team), I was trying to fit a new crankset from eBay only to find the non-drive side crank is for a tandem so the threading for the pedal is incorrect. Here's one of it looking in a very sorry state from the advert when I bought it though.

StellaLdn.

Post by StellaLdn. »

Hi, Hughgabriel

Yep, that bike looks pretty original. Can't identify the crank set, I'm afraid; the black in the middle cranks would point to a Lambert port hole crankset, but I doubt the lugged Grand Touring was fitted with that. The BB certainly is original.
Hubs look original, so do the handlebars. I'm a bit fan of those original handlebars as they have a very comfortable feel to them.

All in all, a great bike, large frame (23 or 24 inches?). Seat post may be original. Does it say Birmalux on it? You'll love it; I promise you. Smooth riding
-- Confucius

drossall

Post by drossall »

StellaLdn. wrote:Smooth riding

As long as you don't leave the front QR like that :shock:
StellaLdn.

Post by StellaLdn. »

Yeah. Even better position is to the front. Really great. The things I see ... The latest was a sort of DIY QR. Scary what people do, not even knowing how dangerous it could be.

From what I'm understanding it's a picture of the bike as it was bought.
-- Confucius

Cusqueno

Post by Cusqueno »

StellaLdn. wrote: ... but I doubt the lugged Grand Touring was fitted with that.

Looks like a fillet brazed frame to me Stella.
StellaLdn.

Post by StellaLdn. »

Cusqueno wrote:
StellaLdn. wrote: ... but I doubt the lugged Grand Touring was fitted with that.

Looks like a fillet brazed frame to me Stella.

You're right. I didn't look properly. Oops.
-- Confucius

hughgabriel

Post by hughgabriel »

No problem with the front QR as its off the bike at the moment! Yes Birmalux on the seatpost.

Flickr album here https://www.flickr.com/photos/36385666@N00/sets/72157645169316669/ and a selection below:

ImageUntitled by Hugh_Gabriel, on Flickr

hughgabriel

Post by hughgabriel »

I think I'm probably going to strip the frame and get it repainted, replace/replate the rusty clamp on parts, re-spoke the wheels etc. I've done plenty of work on modern bikes but very little on older bikes so I have a few queries:
  • Is this likely to have a cassette or a freewheel block?
  • Do the Viscount/Trusty stickers steam off so they can be reused? If not is there a known method of removal?
  • Is the BB easily removable and reusable, if not is the BB tube the correct length & diameter to get a machine shop to cut a BSA thread into it?
  • Does the saddle look original, or shall I swap it over for a Brooks?
  • And probably most ambitiously, does anyone know the paint code for this paint!

Thanks
Hugh
Cusqueno

Post by Cusqueno »

hughgabriel wrote:
  • Is this likely to have a cassette or a freewheel block?
  • Do the Viscount/Trusty stickers steam off so they can be reused? If not is there a known method of removal?
  • Is the BB easily removable and reusable, if not is the BB tube the correct length & diameter to get a machine shop to cut a BSA thread into it?
  • Does the saddle look original, or shall I swap it over for a Brooks?
  • And probably most ambitiously, does anyone know the paint code for this paint!

• This bike would have had a five-speed freewheel block.
  • I've never tried this. The stickers (rather than the transfers/decals) might. Some NOS and copies of the transfers are available, but not (AFAIK) for the stickers. There are companies that can make replica stickers to order and at least one forum member has done this.
  • It all depends on what you mean by 'easily'. It is quite possible to change the bearings (which are standard industrial types) and the spindle. I have done it several times - see my blog about this http://www.viscount-lambert-bikes.blogspot.co.uk/ But the exercise can involve a lot of brute force; unless you have access to a special tool that does the job (a couple of forum members have these). There is not enough metal for a BSA thread (the outside diameter of the cartridge bearings is 35mm), but an Italian thread can be put in. Or use a 'threadless' bottom bracket assembly, although this is likely to require the ends of the tubes inside the BB shell to be machined back to clear the BB unit.
  • Some Viscounts had a Middlemore leather saddle, some of which were Viscount-branded. Others had fairly basic leather or plastic covered plastic saddles (I think yours is one of these?) but, back in the day as now, people would fit whatever they were happiest with. No-one is going to complain about lack of authenticity if you fit a Brooks.
  • It is believed that Viscount used standard colours - either RAL or from some other standard - but only one or two names or numbers are known not, AFAIK, your colour. But perhaps someone else knows or has your colour bike and has found a good match?

Hope this helps.
hughgabriel

Post by hughgabriel »

Thank you. Just had a look at your blog and the post on wheel bearings caught my eye. I have ordered bearings that are a direct replacement for the ones removed which are NSK 629D which are 26mmOD, 9mmID not 26mmOD, 10mmID as the ones you have used. Maybe the spindle on my front wheel has been replaced with a 9mm shaft?
Cusqueno

Post by Cusqueno »

hughgabriel wrote:Thank you. Just had a look at your blog and the post on wheel bearings caught my eye. I have ordered bearings that are a direct replacement for the ones removed which are NSK 629D which are 26mmOD, 9mmID not 26mmOD, 10mmID as the ones you have used. Maybe the spindle on my front wheel has been replaced with a 9mm shaft?

My mistake. I should correct that entry - front and rear wheels have different diameter axles. I had only been working on a rear wheel. Although I can't see why the same axle couldn't be used on both, provided the fatter axle would fit the front drop outs. Hmmm.
StellaLdn.

Post by StellaLdn. »

That would be because the front shell inner diametre is smaller. Bearing size is 6000: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BEARINGS-6000 ... 2ebdf368fe
-- Confucius

hughgabriel

Post by hughgabriel »

So to summarise the bearings:
Front wheel = 629D RS
Rear wheel = 6000 RS
BB = 6003 2RS

Were these bikes way ahead of their time having cartridge bearings? They are maintenance free and replacement is so simple compared to cup and cone bearings.