Viscount bicycles!!

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
busaste

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Post by busaste »

Whippet wrote:The Sport did well at my local clubs 10 mile time trial last night. Managed to knock 31 seconds off my PB with a 28:41. :-)

By eck, that was a great effort Kev!! That's flippin flying 8) .

Thanks for letting me have a go on your bike at DFR2. With those tubs on the bike absolutely flies - easily the quickest, smoothest Viscount I have ever ridden.

Mick Ives would be proud!!!
busaste

Post by busaste »

hughgabriel wrote:I've recently bought a Viscount Grand Sport which is a sort of yellow/brown/gold colour. Shimano 600 gears, Weinmann 610 brakes, mavic rims on unbranded hubs (with very rusty spokes - need to get them rebuilt) which I was very surprised to find had cartridge bearings. The rears are good but front had it so I've ordered some more bearings.

It's got a bit of surface rust in places but all its original stickers including the aerospace tubing one on the seat tube.

I bought it as a station/pub bike but I think it's probably too good for that.

Welcome to 'the club'. I hope you get as much out of Viscounts as we all have :D
StellaLdn.

Post by StellaLdn. »

martin biggs wrote:ok guys just ripped forks out to check them to see if they are the "death" forks or not

so please look at attached pics and advise if you can tell , the roll pin goes from left to right and only 1 of them the underside of fork crown is plugged and they are alloy

when re fitted along with some clean grease on the headset bearings it actually felt nice on a few trips up and down the cul de sac , still not convinced what to do , i bought it mainly for the wheels and other parts but seems a shame to break it .

Martin, I don't think it's a Mark I as you said it's plugged, but it could well be a Mark II. Could you show more pictures of all angles? From underneath and he front?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
-- Confucius

http://theviscountaffect.blogspot.co.uk/
Lewisg

Post by Lewisg »

Thanks Busaste. Hopefully it will help on my spokes too. 8(ish) hours of steel wool, lemon juice & elbow grease ruined my fingers and they're already oxidising again!!
Indeboat

Post by Indeboat »

Here’s one for Sooper8

Can you tell where it is yet? :?

Took the Pro out to blow of the dust and cobwebs. :D

She is still running Tubs and Death Fork :shock:

Headed out to Burton on Trent, nice clear roads and hardly any wind.

Above location was just about 1 mile east of Burton on Trent at the side of the River Trent.

A bit of a pimple at Newton Solney tested the lowest gear the Pro has, but we were ok.

Popped into a bike friendly pub on the way back in Newton Solney , they had a bike fixed outside painted yellow ( I’am sure theTDF did not go that way).
Had a nice cool shandy so I could save my water for the ride back.

Sooper8 could meet up for a run?
martin biggs

Post by martin biggs »

StellaLdn. wrote:
martin biggs wrote:ok guys just ripped forks out to check them to see if they are the "death" forks or not

so please look at attached pics and advise if you can tell , the roll pin goes from left to right and only 1 of them the underside of fork crown is plugged and they are alloy

when re fitted along with some clean grease on the headset bearings it actually felt nice on a few trips up and down the cul de sac , still not convinced what to do , i bought it mainly for the wheels and other parts but seems a shame to break it .

Martin, I don't think it's a Mark I as you said it's plugged, but it could well be a Mark II. Could you show more pictures of all angles? From underneath and he front?

well we know have down tube gear levers and a fr mech all operational on work stand hopefully once brak cables sorted along with a convential set of bars 2moro am , will give it a test ride

here you go some more pics
Attachments
fork15.jpg
fork14.jpg
fork12.jpg
fork13.jpg
martin biggs

Post by martin biggs »

bars and stem swapped over along with brake cables and some light cleaning this morning has got my Lambert ready for light commuting duties today .

initial test ride feels good
Lewisg

Post by Lewisg »

The colour looks even better in those latest photos Martin.

It looks like a 3rd Gen 'death' fork which I'd be more than happy to ride on myself - I have one on my Aerospace Pro and have had no problems despite some fairly rough riding.

Others on here ride the same forks without concern too!
martin biggs

Post by martin biggs »

Lewisg wrote:The colour looks even better in those latest photos Martin.

It looks like a 3rd Gen 'death' fork which I'd be more than happy to ride on myself - I have one on my Aerospace Pro and have had no problems despite some fairly rough riding.

looking on tinternet that's what i thought .

will just carry on doing some testing miles and go from there thanks
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

Indeboat...

Yes, I spent few summer evenings drunk as a lord down by the trent there at The Sump 'Ole as a teenager. It's actual name was the Royal Oak I think and it's nick name was the Sump.
We could have half a Pedigree?

Newton Solney, Repton etc. I'd have joined you if I'd known your were in the vicinity. Let me know next time and if I'm free then I'm up for it.
Have you ever gone through Repton up to Foremark? Nice enough stop off point by the reservoir and a little cafe.

Very nice pictures indeed!
WrightsW5

Post by WrightsW5 »

I have listed a saddle :)
martin biggs

Post by martin biggs »

martin biggs wrote:
Lewisg wrote:The colour looks even better in those latest photos Martin.

looking on tinternet that's what i thought .

will just carry on doing some testing miles and go from there thanks

well 70 miles later and all going well cant put into words how nice this rides .

could somebody advise how easy to swap over to std bootom bracket shaft size so i could fit a more modern crankset if i wanted to
vtchuck

Post by vtchuck »

Greetings:

Recently purchased and Aerospace Pro. 24.5" from center of BB to top of top tube. 3rd generation death fork

Silver and Black, mostly original parts.... missing pedal caps. Front rim Nisi, rear Weinmann. Paint job is in good shape considering age.
BB and wheel bearings seem OK.

I owned a Lambert back in the early 70's.

I'm not looking to do a complete restoration, but rather to create a bike with the Viscount / Lambert "feel" that I can ride and enjoy.

With that in mind.... here are my plans:

Build up new wheels, 14g SS and 27" x 1" rims....Rigida 1320 or Champion Gentleman would be ideal, but might have to settle for something more modern.

Remove and replace the old Shimano 5-speed FW... found someone to lend me the correct tool.... looks like I will have to remove the rear axle to engage
the tool.... any advice on how to remove the axle without damaging it?

Until I find pedal caps, will use quill pedals like SR or MKS

New seat post.... I have a vintage Sakae I could use.

Full gum lever covers to replace the half covers and padded handlebar tape

all new cables and chain. Replace damaged decals.

Here's a photo of it right after I picked it up. Seatpost is only into the seat tube about an inch..... not as I intend to ride it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/118807616@N08/14988781236/

And a photo of the Yamaha "Death Fork" replacement kit included with the sale:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/118807616@N08/14825255087/

And finally my long gone Lambert c.1974:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/118807616@N08/13630917015/

Cheers

Tom USA
Lewisg

Post by Lewisg »

Nice bike Tom!

It looks fully original to me and It's great that you have the DF replacement kit - that's a museum piece!

Shame you don't have the Lambert anymore but it's good that you still have a pic and you'll love the Aerospace Pro.

I can't help with the technical question I'm afraid. You might do better to ask it on the new forum as most members seem to be spending more of their time over there.

http://viscountandlambert.boards.net

Lewis
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

Tom,
what is the secondary colour on that Lambert? Is it a copper colour?
Jem