Viscount bicycles!!

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Bendo

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Post by Bendo »

A Viscount would make an excellent tourer so long as you're careful about loading it up. I think the frame would be no problem but the wheels might be another matter. I would definitely carry a few spare spokes and a spoke key just in case your old ones start to give up the ghost. And the rim is likely to be a single wall one, which means it wouldn't be able to take quite as much load as a modern, double-wall or box rim.

I used to carry my daughter on the back of my Viscount Victor up until she was about 15kg. I took my son for a ride on a rough trail and he would have been about 25kg at the time and I broke a spoke going over a big bump. That would be crap for an MTB or a true 'campeur', but pretty good for a 40 year old road bike.

YMMV, etc

b
triitout

Post by triitout »

I finally found a proper size Aerospace Pro in my size 23 1/2", silver/blue and bought it off of Craigs list. I'll post pictures soon. The paint is in really nice shape. I'm running into some issues that I hope to get advise on.

The expander bolt on the stem will not budge and I'm afraid to strip or break it. Soaked it with Liquid Wrench for 2 days to no avail as it probably can't reach down to the wedge threads. Don't want to head to the bike shop yet! Any ideas???

How do you access the 2 seat clamp screws that are under the saddle?? The low profile newish saddle doesn't have room to get underneath. Are there any special offset tools for this??

The rear wheel is a 700 clincher with a 6 speed freewheel non narrow type. I'm guessing its a 126mm and these are 120mm openings. Even if I want to change wheels, everything is 126mm. Any problems with just jamming a 126mm in???

Thanks in advance with any good ideas!
Bendo

Post by Bendo »

Well done on your find! My Aerospace Sport had a 126mm rear spacing so I'm guessing the spacing on Pros is the same. I say "had" because I had it reset to 120mm to fit the Dura Ace hubs I bought to go on it.

As to the expander bolt on the headstem, is it the bolt that's the problem, or the wedge? If it's the wedge, have you tried going in from underneath? If you've got chromoly forks you could go up the inside of the steerer tube. If you've got the aluminium forks then that won't work. However persistence can pay off with most seizures. Cant tell you how many times I've given up on something like that, only to go back later, give it another go and voila! If it's the bolt, be careful. I've come close to rounding off a number of these babies, and it's easy to do when you're really struggling. ALso Viscount stems used an Imperial sized allen bolt. Can't remember the size OTTOMH.

Can't help you with the seat clamp, though.

b
Last edited by Bendo on 11 Oct 2012, 9:22pm, edited 1 time in total.
breakwellmz

Post by breakwellmz »

triitout wrote:I finally found a proper size Aerospace Pro in my size 23 1/2", silver/blue and bought it off of Craigs list. I'll post pictures soon. The paint is in really nice shape. I'm running into some issues that I hope to get advise on.

The expander bolt on the stem will not budge and I'm afraid to strip or break it. Soaked it with Liquid Wrench for 2 days to no avail as it probably can't reach down to the wedge threads. Don't want to head to the bike shop yet! Any ideas???

How do you access the 2 seat clamp screws that are under the saddle?? The low profile newish saddle doesn't have room to get underneath. Are there any special offset tools for this??

The rear wheel is a 700 clincher with a 6 speed freewheel non narrow type. I'm guessing its a 126mm and these are 120mm openings. Even if I want to change wheels, everything is 126mm. Any problems with just jamming a 126mm in???

Thanks in advance with any good ideas!

Sounds like a Campag seatpost.

IF so,one of these is handy-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Campa ... 7675.l2557
triitout

Post by triitout »

Thanks for the ideas. I'm goingto try a 50/50 mix of acetone and auto transmission fluid as recc by a local guru. Have to look into the imperial size allen since my 7/32 is a bit loose and the 1/4 and 6mm too tight. I ground down a 1/4 with and am getting a bit better fit. We shall see!
triitout

Post by triitout »

Success! The stem is loose with the help of my LBS. Ends up the allen size was 5.5mm, a size I never knew existed. The bike is a bit of a mish mash with unmatched 700 clincher wheels, Shimano 105 brake levers, no name non origonal handlebars and pedals, Shimano 600 crank with Biopace chainrings. It does have the Shimano Crane rear and Titelist front, Shimano shifters, Viscount brakes, origonal bottom bracket, Type 3 aluminum fork and origonal Campy knockoff seatpost with no saddle.

I did go a bit crazy this past week because after I bought this off of Craig's List, I won a Aerospace GP frame and fork on EBay with lots of loose parts including the Viscount crankset that I want to put on the Pro. It's also in my size and has a nice red and white paint job. It's in transit so we'll soon see what we got! I guess I was looking for some nice projects for the winter and I got it so away we go! When family and friends hear that this is my 4th and 5th Viscount. I just blame it on the CTC forum!!!

http://www.zazzle.co.uk/viscountshirts
Attachments
DSCN0605.JPG
DSCN0605.JPG (62.06 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
Goldie

Post by Goldie »

I've had this for a couple of weeks now: Viscount Aerospace 600EX from I guess the 1981 or 1982 model years. There are no concessions to this being an all weather, pootle along kind of bike; there are no mudguard eyelets, the chain stays are short and the angles are steep. Unfortunately, the head tube angle is a bit steeper than it should be, as it's had a front end collision at some point.

I've just got to start collecting parts for it now. I'd like to build it up as a fast, light bike for club runs, but I'm not set on Shimano 600. I've actually got a Suntour Superbe Pro rear derailleur and set of power shifters knocking about, which I half fancy using...but give me a shout if you've got any parts that might suit it.

Sorry about the rubbish photos - seems me and the camera were both feeling a bit sleepy.

I managed to bust the front tyre on my Aerospace Pro in tragicomic style a couple of weeks back. There were a couple of new lads out on the Sunday club run, and one of them had a skid and an off in front of me on a descent, which I avoided with a lot of brake and a BMX style skid. Looking down at my front tyre, I was like "Oh, what's that sticking out?" Well, it turned out to be a tiny bubble of inner tube, poking through the hole left by the chunk I'd just taken out of my tyre. It lasted the next couple of miles until the cafe stop before letting go in a big way...

So I've taken a leaf out of Bendo's book and gone for skinnier 27 x 1" Paselas. You can't see it in the picture, but I've picked up a Viscount QR skewer, and a Viscount saddle too. It feels faster on the smaller tyres - less rotating mass maybe?

Last edited by Goldie on 15 Oct 2012, 10:43pm, edited 1 time in total.
maxter182m

Post by maxter182m »

I have recently bought this Viscount bike, it is in lovely condition. I am waiting for it to arrive in the post. It is the aerospace grand prix model, and has not done many miles. I am unsure if i have bought the wrong bike, as a company there seem to be some common errors with the design of the bicycle, for example, death forks, and the bottom bracket spindle. In a few posts on this forum, a few people say their frame snapped. I am guessing the forks on the bike are the original aluminium ones as they have the same paint job as the frame.

Can anyone give me some advice? I would much appreciate an experienced cyclists knowledge as I am in my twenties. It seems a lovely piece of equipment, that I want to ride 60 - 100 mile journeys regularly on.

Max
Attachments
viscount 2.JPG
Viscount.JPG
triitout

Post by triitout »

Hi Max,
Only thing I can tell you is it's not the aluminum fork so no worry on that end. You can see a nice aluminum fork on the prior post by Goldie on his silver/blue Pro model. Happy riding!

http://www.zazzle.co.uk/viscountshirts
Goldie

Post by Goldie »

Hi Max,

That's oldnick's bike I think. Here's his first post in the thread, including some of the bike's history - if you do a bit of digging you'll find a few more pictures. Like triitout says, your Grand Prix has steel forks rather than the aluminium ones that everyone gets excited about. Your bottom bracket spindle is, again, not the one that gets bad press for occasional failures, so if it does misbehave, spares or replacements should be readily available.

oldnick wrote:I'd be real obliged for any info' and a value for this one as I'm going to sell it, probably on ebay.
It's totally original, even the tyres have never been changed. My brother purchased it new around 1980 and hardly used it. I purchased it from him around 1983 and rode about 50 miles on it. It has spent most of it's life stored in my garage. It isn't mint but very clean for its age. Whats on the various components is (I'm not bike savvy so I hope the description is clear enough):
Brakes are Shimano Torneau with little black levers to open them from the rim, Shimano on levers and Shimano Dee 50 on pulls.
Hubs are marked Shimano VIA ED, wheels are marked (original oval stickers) Aluminium Rim, SHURMANN, 27" x 1 1/4", West Germany. Tyres are Michelin Speed.
Cranks are marked SILSTAR with SR SAKAE on the end caps. Chainwheels are marked SR. The pedals are marked W Germany. Rat traps are French with Record on black leather straps.
Gear selectors are marked Shimano Altus LT, selector levers Shimano.
Handlebars are marked ITM Special with Viscount on end caps. The part they clamp in is marked SR.
The frame is marked 'Hand made in England' with various stickers including Grand Prix on the front of the crossbar.
It is a twelve speed with frame number 56253.
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

Goodie, I think I'm in love with your Aerospace Pro. :D
busaste

Post by busaste »

Indeboat wrote:Hello Busaste
What is the original colour of the Pro? is it silver and blue with slight metalic content? Or grey and blue ?

The Pro was non metallic silver. The head tube and seat tube had blue panels on the tub model. Black colour panels were on the Pro with clinchers.
Indeboat

Post by Indeboat »

busaste wrote:The Pro was non metallic silver. The head tube and seat tube had blue panels on the tub model. Black colour panels were on the Pro with clinchers.

Hello Busaste thanks for the info,the frame has cleaned up ok.
It does now look more light grey however than silver now but it will do for now(i think).
Must have gone through the top coat of silver,there are a few chips here and there but no rust.
Would it be a sacrilege to strip and repaint ? :roll:

Should collect new decals this week from Image Workshop.

In my haste to strip the bike down i did not pay attention to which way round the bottom bracket came out of the frame,the shaft has three circlip groves in it.
can you remember which way round it goes? i am thinking that the 2grove side goes to the chain wheel side as it is slightly offset,making more shaft sticking out that side to allow for the double chain rings!
I removed the bottom bracket because of slightly sticky bearings,new ones going in (6003 2RS.)

Also replacing the rear wheel bearings (6000 2RS).There tricky little so and so's to get out. :wink:

The wheels and rims have cleaned up almost like new :D
New Vittoria Tubs fitted with Tufo double sided tape.
I have never had Tubs before so i went for the clean and easy option,time will tell if it was the right option.

Mk 3 fork and chain rings also nice and shiney.

As soon as it is back together i will post some pictures.
Goldie

Post by Goldie »

I meant to ask - does anyone know whether that Aerospace 600EX frame will need 700c rather than 27 x 1 1/4 wheels?
busaste

Post by busaste »

Goldie wrote:I meant to ask - does anyone know whether that Aerospace 600EX frame will need 700c rather than 27 x 1 1/4 wheels?

700c for the 600EX.

On Sunday I had the good fortune to see a NEW OLD STOCK Aerospace 600AX. Hoooooeeeee, it don't get any better than that. How many of them must there be in the world?

And no, the owner is not selling it :(