Viscount bicycles!!

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Bendo

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Post by Bendo »

Pics please Oldnick!! b
oldnick

Post by oldnick »

Here's a couple for now. I'll try and add a few better ones tommorrow.
Attachments
Viscount Aerospace GP 003a.jpg
Viscount Aerospace GP 001a.jpg
Bendo

Post by Bendo »

noice! b
photoall

Post by photoall »

I tried to send a photo of the viscount bike but is said the file was too large .
what do I do next.
this is new to me.
al
oldnick

Post by oldnick »

photoall wrote:I tried to send a photo of the viscount bike but is said the file was too large .
what do I do next.
this is new to me.
al

Alter the image, maybe make it smaller and reduce the size to less than 256Kb. Use an image editing program and save a copy as a JPEG progressive, 50 or 75 usually works.
photoall

Post by photoall »

where do you find an image iditing program.
don't know where to look
oldnick

Post by oldnick »

photoall wrote:where do you find an image iditing program.
don't know where to look

Adobe photoshop is one, I use Ulead Photoimpact but any that will let you alter the image size and quality. I've never used it but a quick Google search threw up this, might be worth a try:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/photofiltre.html
Or you might be able to set your camera to capture a smaller file, try the lowest quality and see what size the file is.
traineecanuck

Post by traineecanuck »

I've been reading through this and other Viscount groups, so thought I'd contribute. Attached are some pics of my Viscount Grand Sport, which I inherited after it had been hanging in my uncle's garage for many years. It was very rusty and the mechanical parts were caked in thick, black tar (or something) - so it took me many hours of scrubbing with degreaser to find out what I had. The BB fell apart after a few rides, so my local LBS had a push in one he found lying around - dont know the brand, but the casing is black plastic (so I'm guessing it's nothing fancy). I replaced the handlebars, as i couldn't get along with the shape of the original ones, and the Weinman brakes were completely shot, so had to go. I also had 700c rims put onto the original hubs, so had to find some long-drop calipers. Other than that it's mostly original, and the sprockets and chainrings are in good nick. I'm having trouble keeping it in gear at the moment, and I suspect it's either a chain fit issue or there is some play in the BB (or the chainrings are bent). Needs investigation.
I emigrated to Canada (from UK) last year, so only just put it together last week, as I've been using my MB for commuting. Had to put my MB SPDs on it for now, as I lost a pedal somewhere along the way! I find the frame is perfect fit for me, as I find modern ones too long in the top tube. It's comfy and light as well.

I spotted another BB (and other bits) option here:
http://www.velo-orange.com/
they make bespoke parts for older bikes, and do a threadless BB which looks a lot more solid than the YST ones (which I have as a spare).

Good to see there is some enthusiasm out there for these old bikes. I think the frame is fantastic, and if I wanted to go modern I would have spend a lot fo money. Spring is finally kicking in here, after a very heavy winter, so once I get the transmission behaving itself I'll get out on it. Can't wait!!
Attachments
Bike5.jpg
Bike4.jpg
Bike3.jpg
Bike2.jpg
Bike1.jpg
oldnick

Post by oldnick »

I could do with a few replies from experienced cyclists on this one.
As per an earlier post, I purchased a new SR 40 tooth chain wheel to replace the 42 tooth. It turned out that although the bolt centres were correct, the fixing bolt holes were bigger. The top hat nuts on my existing one are too small, they pass through the holes in the new one. I've now decided on plan B which is buy a new cassette. The cassette currently fitted is a uniglide and I currently have a 6 speed 13 - 23 fitted. Looks like I'm stuck with that unless I change the hub which I don't really want to do. I'm trying to keep the bike as original as possible and will keep all old parts so it can be returned to that state in the future. The gearing for hills is too high for me, I'm struggling with it (the reason I tried to alter the chain ring). I can buy a new 7 speed 13 - 26 or 14 - 28 uniglide cassette, my questions are:
Will a 7 speed cassette fit in place of a 6 ( I did a bit of research on the Sheldon Brown site and I think it will), the spacings still give an overall 126mm, same as my 6 speed
Will the addition of a 26 tooth make a noticeable difference or would I be better off with a 28 tooth low gear?
Will my current short Altus derailleur cope with either a 26 tooth or a 28 tooth bottom gear, likewise the chain? Total teeth will be up either 3 or 5 from the current 23 (gearing going from 42 - 23 to either 42 - 26 or 42 - 28).
Bendo

Post by Bendo »

traineecanuck wrote:I've been reading through this and other Viscount groups, so thought I'd contribute. Attached are some pics of my Viscount Grand Sport, which I inherited after it had been hanging in my uncle's garage for many years. It was very rusty and the mechanical parts were caked in thick, black tar (or something) - so it took me many hours of scrubbing with degreaser to find out what I had. The BB fell apart after a few rides, so my local LBS had a push in one he found lying around - dont know the brand, but the casing is black plastic (so I'm guessing it's nothing fancy). I replaced the handlebars, as i couldn't get along with the shape of the original ones, and the Weinman brakes were completely shot, so had to go. I also had 700c rims put onto the original hubs, so had to find some long-drop calipers. Other than that it's mostly original, and the sprockets and chainrings are in good nick. I'm having trouble keeping it in gear at the moment, and I suspect it's either a chain fit issue or there is some play in the BB (or the chainrings are bent). Needs investigation.
I emigrated to Canada (from UK) last year, so only just put it together last week, as I've been using my MB for commuting. Had to put my MB SPDs on it for now, as I lost a pedal somewhere along the way! I find the frame is perfect fit for me, as I find modern ones too long in the top tube. It's comfy and light as well.

I spotted another BB (and other bits) option here:
http://www.velo-orange.com/
they make bespoke parts for older bikes, and do a threadless BB which looks a lot more solid than the YST ones (which I have as a spare).

Good to see there is some enthusiasm out there for these old bikes. I think the frame is fantastic, and if I wanted to go modern I would have spend a lot fo money. Spring is finally kicking in here, after a very heavy winter, so once I get the transmission behaving itself I'll get out on it. Can't wait!!

That's a lovely looking bike TC, and it looks like you've done a lot of sensible mods. For tips on BB repair, trawl back through this thread a few pages and you'll find some great posts by Busaste. Inheriting a bike that just happens to be the right size... it must be destiny! :D b
Bendo

Post by Bendo »

oldnick wrote:I could do with a few replies from experienced cyclists on this one.
As per an earlier post, I purchased a new SR 40 tooth chain wheel to replace the 42 tooth. It turned out that although the bolt centres were correct, the fixing bolt holes were bigger. The top hat nuts on my existing one are too small, they pass through the holes in the new one. I've now decided on plan B which is buy a new cassette. The cassette currently fitted is a uniglide and I currently have a 6 speed 13 - 23 fitted. Looks like I'm stuck with that unless I change the hub which I don't really want to do. I'm trying to keep the bike as original as possible and will keep all old parts so it can be returned to that state in the future. The gearing for hills is too high for me, I'm struggling with it (the reason I tried to alter the chain ring). I can buy a new 7 speed 13 - 26 or 14 - 28 uniglide cassette, my questions are:
Will a 7 speed cassette fit in place of a 6 ( I did a bit of research on the Sheldon Brown site and I think it will), the spacings still give an overall 126mm, same as my 6 speed
Will the addition of a 26 tooth make a noticeable difference or would I be better off with a 28 tooth low gear?
Will my current short Altus derailleur cope with either a 26 tooth or a 28 tooth bottom gear, likewise the chain? Total teeth will be up either 3 or 5 from the current 23 (gearing going from 42 - 23 to either 42 - 26 or 42 - 28).

Can't help you with the chainring bolt problem as I've always found they work (Sugino and Shimano only IME).

Don't see why you'd need to change the hub. Do you have the original hubs? If so, then you will be looking for a freewheel (in Aus we call them clusters) not a cassette. Freewheels are the ones that screw onto the hub and are the older wheel technology (modern bikes all have cassettes). You need to buy a freewheel removal tool to get the old one off but it's a worthwhile investment. Shimano still make 6 speed freewheels that are reasonable quality and should be available at your LBS. If not, try eBay or online bike shops. New Old Stock Shimano freewheels made in Japan cost more than current ones made in China, but both are reasonable.

If you can fit a 7 speed then by all means. The good thing about the old friction shifting gear levers is you are not limited to a specific number of gears as you are with indexed shifters. However you may have problems with the chain rubbing against the inside end of the nut that secures the mudguard stays to the frame when you are on the smallest cog.

Re choice of gearing, this is something you best work out yourself through trial and error. No one else can tell you what you need in this respect. Money spent on various gearing ratios is never wasted in the long term. I'd guess that even a short cage derailleur could handle a 28T cog. I've been told that one tooth on the rear roughly equals 2.5 teeth on the front.

As for the chain, rule of thumb is whenever you install a new freewheel you should also install a new chain so they can wear together. An old chain will wear out a new freewheel faster than a new chain will. To do this you'll need to invest in a chain-breaker, also something you'll never regret having.

To get correct chain length, I just measure the new chain against the length of the old one.

HTH

b
oldnick

Post by oldnick »

I would need a new hub because I haven't got a screw on freewheel, I've got a Shimano Uniglide freehub and cassette. The freehub only accepts uniglide cassettes which are not common.
It's explained here: http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html
To have access to a bigger range of cassettes, I'd need to change the hub to accept either a scew on freewheel or a hyperglide freehub.
I was trying to find out if a 26 tooth bottom would be a noticeable difference from a 23 tooth. I read somewhere that a short derailleur will only work with up to 27 teeth and even then I might need a longer chain. I was hoping someone might have tried something similar and could clarify.
Bendo

Post by Bendo »

Ah, my mistake.
Uniglide cassettes are however reasonably common on eBay:
http://shop.ebay.com.au/?_from=R40&_trk ... e+cassette
The good thing about a cassette is you can change individual cogs later on without buying a whole cassette.

BTW I have a 28 tooth cog on the cluster on my VA Victor and it works fine with a short reach derailleur. (Just went out and counted!) b
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-idf91MdfvEM/T ... r-blog.jpg
oldnick

Post by oldnick »

That's a nice bike you have there.
Thanks for the info, I've just ordered a 13 - 26 7 speed. They can no longer get a 14 - 28 but I'm going to keep watching the bay for a few larger sprockets so I can vary the cassette to suit me.
Ong1960

Post by Ong1960 »

Like another member I bought an Aerospace Sport in 1978 for £89 . Loved that bike with its chrome moly frame, light weight and fast ride. Went touring on it in 1981 then had it stolen from my flat in London. Never saw it or another again but luckily didn't fall foul of the forks either !

Thanks for the memories

Lawrence