Viscount bicycles!!

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
martin biggs

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Post by martin biggs »

My latest arrival is this very green Aerospace 600 ex .

Mostly all original condition.

WP_20170225_010.jpg
WP_20170225_009.jpg
WP_20170225_008.jpg
Cusqueno

Post by Cusqueno »

You might like to tell us all about it on the Viscount forum here: http://lambertandviscount.online
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

Nice acquisition - a superb bike, I think you'll be pleased with the ride. The colour is very 1980's!

As the poster above mentions, we do have a dedicated forum for Lambert and Viscount bikes - lots of info, history, tips , knowledge and nice folks over there.

http://lambertandviscount.online
montague

Re: Viscount bicycles

Post by montague »

I was a Trusty Viscount Ltd. Viscount Cycles ex Employee from 1979 until 1983 when it finally closed-down. I have many Company Brochures, Road Tests, Letters etc. & a Trusty Team Road Frame as ridden by 1 of our 'Pro's'
I worked in the Company Tool-Room & was alone responsible for the total control of the whole Factory inc. light bulbs!
I shall be writing a book soon.
My name is Anthony Collett & my e-mail no is: montaguemontgomery2000@yahoo.co.uk
montague

Post by montague »

'CYCLING' Magazine did a 'Trusty Viscount' special with loads of Pics. Etc. In the 80s & I have 1 here.
martin biggs

Post by martin biggs »

montague wrote:I was a Trusty Viscount Ltd. Viscount Cycles ex Employee from 1979 until 1983 when it finally closed-down. I have many Company Brochures, Road Tests, Letters etc. & a Trusty Team Road Frame as ridden by 1 of our 'Pro's'
I worked in the Company Tool-Room & was alone responsible for the total control of the whole Factory inc. light bulbs!
I shall be writing a book soon.
My name is Anthony Collett & my e-mail no is: montaguemontgomery2000@yahoo.co.uk

Would be nice to see the road frame
montague

Post by montague »

I used to work at Trusty's having known their ex Professional as a training partner. I was in their Toolroom/Maintenance Dept. & made/fixed everything. Spray Plant, Offices, Production Line, Warehouse, De-Greasing, Press Shop, Welding, Storage, You name-it and I did it! There were many Trade/Public Exhibitions at places like Harrogate Etc.
montague

Post by montague »

Dear Sir, I used to work at Trusty Viscount's Cranborne Rd. Potter's Bar Herts. My whole life was 'Cycling' related as I 1st joined the Southgate CC when I was 14. My 1st race being the Kingsdale CC 10 on the F4 (37.56) & so I needed a job to suit & 6 miles up from me was Trusty's.
It was Fab! There were 3 'minibuses' taking the workforce to various locations: Hatfield, Ponders End & East London but I rode-in from Oakwood!
There were literally 1000s of bikes there, some boxed & completed & some 1/2 finished! more later.........................................................
montague

Post by montague »

There were about 3 Wheellacing M/Cs & 2 'Robot' (Wheeltreuing) M/Cs (All Dutch) Pneumatically & Electrically Powered which could easily be altered according to the size reqd.
montague

Post by montague »

There was a Generator, Compressor & Air Receiver at Trusty's all of which sometimes required maintenance.
montague

Post by montague »

There were all types of 'Hand Operated' Air Tools some 'Desoutter' other's 'AIR PRODUCTS' some to screw together the Bikes others to 'Linish' the Frames prior to Shot-Blasting, Powder Coating, then Paint Spraying (All Air Powered)
Bicycle Frames were manufactured using Oxy-Acetylene Torches & Argon Arc Processes.
montague

Post by montague »

The working week at Viscount's was 8-5pm Mon, 8-4.30pm Tues-Thurs 8-4.00pm Fri. There were 2 sittings for lunch/Tea The Production Lines always went 1st
There were 4/5 Foremen/Charge-hands: Vic Franklin (Production) Fred Sutton (Paint) George Connelly (Welding) Peter Loader Toolroom/Maintenance plus others?

William (Bill) Horne was 1 of the Professional Team Riders sponsored by Trusty's who was later the Team manager
martin biggs

Post by martin biggs »

Great memories
sprockit

Post by sprockit »

Montague - a wealth of interesting information from you!

I agree with Martin that it would be great to see some pictures of the road frame.

I note that you have also made one or two guest posts on the Viscount and Lambert Forum on ProBoards - a move which has enabled us Viscount owners and users to structure the content in a more accessible way.

Forum members visited Cranborne Road in October last year, and we are planning our DFR5 meet for this summer, but the plans are not yet finalised. We'll post details on here when we know when and where we're meeting.

We would love to see you there.
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

A friend of mine had one in the Seventies. It was old and battered, but the components were quite smart for the time. I recall his dad resprayed it red, and did a very nice job, and stuck some Falcon stickers on it!
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.