Viscount bicycles!!

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Stevevw

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Post by Stevevw »

I know I was out bid at the last split second.

Just been told by the seller the axle is on its way to Minnesota USA.

I do have a couple of untapered axles I wonder if I could get one ground to a Jis taper?
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

Death Fork Rally 3.

Here is all the information for the third annual gathering of Lambert and Viscount bike lovers.

Suitable for families etc. We don't race (except to the pub), and the most miles it's likely to be is 25 or so, but still not confirmed route. Fairly flat, quiet roads.
If you don't have a Lambert or Viscount but want to ride or meet up, then just turn up.

About half way, stopping for food, drink, lie down.

Date - Saturday 11th July ( 11am gathering, 11.30am depart - that gives 30 mins buggering about and circling in holding formation before take off, as previous tradition dictates)

Leaving from Beehive Camp site car park, Rosliston (in between Burton and Lichfield) NOT to be confused with last DFR2 location called Rolleston.
http://www.beehivefarm-woodlandlakes.co.uk/
Address:
Beehive Woodland Lakes
Rosliston
Derbyshire
DE12 8HZ

There is a limited amount parking there but it's free.
There is a decent cafe at start/end point too.

Staying over? Most people staying over are booked on above camp site.

Note on getting here:
For Sat Nav’s users use postcode DE12 8JD, wide vehicles avoid the narrow bridge at Walton on Trent, Sat Nav’s will try to direct you this way.

Route - I have yet to fully 100% nail this down. I am struggling to ride this weekend. I had a dance related thigh strain this week (please don't ask, it's embarrassing) and wasn't up to it.
But what I do know is that I have an outward route that I have driven.

For the GPS folk , it is here.
http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=unatzdxsokhfxeeo
It is only 10 miles, and if I don't find a good return route, then we might just follow that back, but ideally I work out another slightly longer route back. I can see several potential different routes back but just wanted to miss out really busy roads, but not having ridden them I am not sure what the are like.

It is a lovely area and I think you will love it.

This is the pub stop, http://www.doginnwhittington.co.uk/ which I can't vouch for food quality, but Trip Advisor reviews rate it 'very good'. If you can't make the ride but want to meet up then I guess we will be here about 12.30pm till 1.30pm in the beer garden.

Hope to see old and new faces!
bwallis42

Post by bwallis42 »

At the ripe old age of about 56 I decided I had better get a bit fitter to survive the next 48 years and took up running and the gym. A couple of years into that and it is going well, got a couple of half marathons under my belt, lost some kilos and feeling great. But the knees and other joints do complain a bit so I thought I might get back on the bike. Went trail riding on a suspension free cheap old mountain bike last weekend and loved it.

Then I remembered my old road bike. Been sitting under the house for the last 20+ years completely neglected, at least it was was dry but it was not free from dust! I bought this bike in about 1976, almost new but not quite. Was my daily transport for a couple of years, 30kms each day, and also for longer touring trips including a memorable 3 weeks riding around Tasmania. One memory of that trip was how much better this bike was than all the others on that trip. Particularly when pointed down a hill, it just rolled along so much faster than the others!

So it is time for a restoration. I'm in the middle of restoring three motor bikes so one more project should be OK. The chromed parts are all somewhat rusty (but they were rusty 20 years ago as well!) but it is in pretty good condition underneath all that dust.
Attachments
My old bike
My old bike
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

bwallis42 - what a great story to go with the bike.

That is serious dust on there, but I bet when cleaned up and tweaked, and you are picking up pace on a down hill, then you'll feel 30 years younger!

Keep us updated and feel free to come and join us over on the dedicated forum here
http://viscountandlambert.boards.net/

Great shame you didn't post a few weeks sooner, we would have press-ganged you into coming to the Death Fork Rally in Derbyshire that happened this weekend. Never mind, there's always next year!
bwallis42

Post by bwallis42 »

Sooper8 wrote:Great shame you didn't post a few weeks sooner, we would have press-ganged you into coming to the Death Fork Rally in Derbyshire that happened this weekend. Never mind, there's always next year!

Would be quite a trip from Melbourne, Australia :-) (Just added my location to my profile)

Maybe one year...
bwallis42

Post by bwallis42 »

Sooper8 wrote:bwallis42 - what a great story to go with the bike.

That is serious dust on there, but I bet when cleaned up and tweaked, and you are picking up pace on a down hill, then you'll feel 30 years younger!

Keep us updated and feel free to come and join us over on the dedicated forum here
http://viscountandlambert.boards.net/

And I forgot to say thanks for the welcome!

I'm looking forward to getting the old bike back onto the road but it may take a little while, there is some rust and the wheels will need re-building, there were a couple of spokes missing when it was parked all those years ago. Also hoping to get all the little parts that are showing signs of rust chromed as part of a batch of parts from the motorbikes.
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

We are planning for our 4th Annual Viscount and Lambert Rally in June/July this summer.

If you are interested, then details will be posted up on this thread as soon as we confirm them.

If you want to read more, and join the community then come on over to this forum http://viscountandlambert.boards.net
drossall

Post by drossall »

I looked at your Indy 500 in the gallery in that forum. That's very like my wife's, which I mentioned a couple of years ago in this thread - same colour and everything. We swapped the derailleur for a long-arm one, put on a 14-32 freewheel and a rack, and took it touring for a while. As I said, it's still in the loft, though it's not been used for some decades.
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

drossall wrote:I looked at your Indy 500 in the gallery in that forum. That's very like my wife's, which I mentioned a couple of years ago in this thread - same colour and everything. We swapped the derailleur for a long-arm one, put on a 14-32 freewheel and a rack, and took it touring for a while. As I said, it's still in the loft, though it's not been used for some decades.

I remember talking about the Indy 500 all that time ago and you mentioned your wife's was in the loft.

I since found one not far away on eBay. I had a weird De-ja-vu moment as I got on the 'new' one, which was exactly the same spec as the one I had in 1981, and rode down the same hill I rode everyday as a teenager. I'm not over exaggerating in saying the feeling was both exhilarating and mind bending in it's time warp quality! The closest thing to a time machine I could conjure up.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Slightly off topic for this thread, but I mentioned around the same time going off to buy a Holdsworth Mistral in near-perfect condition. Same feeling there - that was one of my first dream bikes when I started real cycling, and finally to ride one was like going back to my beginnings. Still is - I still have it :D
Sooper8

Viscount bicycles!!

Post by Sooper8 »

Date for the diary! Death Fork Rally 4. Starting from Hatton, CV35 7JG , Midlands UK.

The 4th Annual gathering of Lambert and Viscount owners.

With 3 successful Rallies behind us , and no fork breakages to date, we have now finalised the date (and camp site) for this prestigious event.

The ride will be on Saturday 9th July, meeting at 11am for an 11.30am start. 12-13 miles or so out, pub stop and then return.

For those who wish to join us for the whole weekend , then you are very welcome.

Details on this link
http://viscountandlambert.boards.net/th ... fr4?page=3
pg000201

Post by pg000201 »

I have a replacement fork sent to me by Viscount back in roughly 1979-1980 due to the recall of the original aluminum fork! This is new in-box! I am happy to ship it to anyone who can put it to good use for only the cost of shipping (from the USA). Please reply to this posting if you have a Viscount in need of the new fork. Cheers, Peter
pg000201

Post by pg000201 »

The Viscount fork has been taken. Cheers, Peter
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

And many thanks Peter- gratefully received and much appreciated.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

I was poimted in the direction of this thread as I have some NOS Lambert centre pull calipers on the for sale thread, I'd sold some some years back on here and forgot all about them. All have rear bolts but of course could be used as a front with the correct length.