Viscount bicycles!!

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Whippet

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Post by Whippet »

I've got to say a MASSIVE thankyou to Busaste / Steve for building me the Aerosport. Like me, Steve had a Viscount at School, and like me it was cruelly stolen. I've always wondered what became of my old ruby red Viscount International but now thanks to Busaste I have an even better replacement.

These pictures just cannot do justice to the quality of this bike, it really is drop dead gorgeous. I remember the pride I felt when my Dad bought the International for me in 1976, this bike exceeds that, it really is perfect. Busaste is a credit to the great British institution of highly skilled men in sheds producing remarkable machines, he is a perfectionist and that shows in the results of his work. On top of that, he built this bike at no personal gain so that a fellow Viscount fan could be re-united with the marque he remembered from school days, a bloke that definitely makes the world a better place.

No way is the Viscount going out in the winter, but I'm looking forward to taking it out on dry saltless roads and will write a report up on here. I'm also thinking of doing a Sportive with some friends in July so the Viscount can show it's competition heritage. Also hoping to go to the Viscount reunion once it's arranged.

Once again, thanks very much Busaste. 8)
Bendo

Post by Bendo »

I'd also like to point out that Busaste's build of Whippet's VA Sport was incredibly quick for such an authentic bike (I mean NOS replacement forks {FFE - family-friendly edit }! That just never happens!). A combination of incredible good fortune and Busaste's depth of knowledge (and spare parts inventory? ;) ) made it look easy.

Just saying, it doesn't always happen as quickly (and as beautifully) as this! b
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

Whippet wrote:I've got to say a MASSIVE thankyou to Busaste / Steve for building me the Aerosport. Like me, Steve had a Viscount at School, and like me it was cruelly stolen. I've always wondered what became of my old ruby red Viscount International but now thanks to Busaste I have an even better replacement.

These pictures just cannot do justice to the quality of this bike, it really is drop dead gorgeous. I remember the pride I felt when my Dad bought the International for me in 1976, this bike exceeds that, it really is perfect. Busaste is a credit to the great British institution of highly skilled men in sheds producing remarkable machines, he is a perfectionist and that shows in the results of his work. On top of that, he built this bike at no personal gain so that a fellow Viscount fan could be re-united with the marque he remembered from school days, a bloke that definitely makes the world a better place.

No way is the Viscount going out in the winter, but I'm looking forward to taking it out on dry saltless roads and will write a report up on here. I'm also thinking of doing a Sportive with some friends in July so the Viscount can show it's competition heritage. Also hoping to go to the Viscount reunion once it's arranged.

Once again, thanks very much Busaste. 8)

Whippet- it is absolutely bloody gorgeous. I love it. Bustaste did an amazing job and inspires others to have a go too. He is keeping the Viscount name alive with some style.
Where in the UK are you? I'd love to have a look at it sometime when you are out and about on it in the spring/summer.
I had a Viscount (Indy 500) during my last few years of secondary and rode it in to the ground by about 1983.
That is what draws me back to them- that deep connection with the past and of many 1000's of miles done, riding most days out of pleasure and necessity-that and the great handling of course!
Now my son is riding one and loving it and when the weather warms up my wife will be out on her Sebring.
Viscount reunion here we come!
Cheers!
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

I live in Newbury Sooper8, you're welcome any time.
busaste

Post by busaste »

Bendo wrote:Just saying, it doesn't always happen as quickly (and as beautifully) as this! b

As usual Bendo, a well made point! You're not kidding too! It took me YEARS to collect all those parts. I doubt whether it could ever be done again. I only did it to help Whippet out as his love of Viscounts had been 'interrupted' by the theft of his bike and he was finding it very hard to get a replacement. Been there, done that so I felt someone had to step up and help out a fellow Viscount fan.

The build up was not without its moments and as usual there were some valuable lessons learned:

a) powder coating - the search for a company who can do a perfect job continues! WD40 wiped over powder coating gives an excellent protective shine.
b) the YST threadless BB has fabulous bearings but they should put a couple of spacers in for BB shells that have not been cut to the correct 68mm length.
c) TAKE GREAT CARE when tightening the seat post pinch bolt. Use a torque wrench set to an absolute maximum of 6lbs/square foot (less if you can get away with it). I've had three frames crack at the top of the seat tube or around the brazed on boss for the seat pinch bolt. Each frame was the victim of the gorilla like efforts of previous owners. On a Viscount I am working on at the moment, a previous owner had tightened up the front derailleur clamp bolt so much that it had seriously deformed the seat tube. W.T.F?! :cry:
d) Paul Hewitt builds wheels up to a very high standard.
e) KMC chain. I used an X8 which worked really well on a previous Viscount but not this time. Another X8 I have tried was also troublesome. After a bit of headscratching and research I've come up with this fitment list of currently available 5 speed freewheel based vintage drivetrains which work for Viscounts:

KMC - Z30
Wipperman–ConneX - 707, 721, 700

Err, not much is it? Shimano no longer make a chain specifically for 5 speed freewheels (a disgrace - 5/10 speed made Shimano). A Uniglide CN-UG50 and CN-UG51 MAY work. Cheaper chains made by Claud Butler and ETC are available but I cannot vouch for their quality. Any other suggestions would be appreciated e.g. TAYA.

In the meantime, better stock up!!!!!!! :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Thanks to everyone for their kind comments about Whippet's Sport. MUCH appreciated.
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

Whippet wrote:I live in Newbury Sooper8, you're welcome any time.

I have an old school friend who lives just out of Marlborough- I'll let you know if I am down in the summer
Cheers
Bendo

Post by Bendo »

That part of the Aerospace frame is indeed vulnerable. My Sport's seat tube cracked not just from overtightening but from my LBS putting in a seatpost that was slightly too small. Hence a repair and a collar brazed onto it.
Same for the bottom of the headtube, which stretched slightly (think tenths of a mm) from 20 years of normal riding stress. That's one advantage of lugs.

Re chains, I'm not a fan of Taya chains, I've found they stretch very quickly. I'm also not fond of the Connex 5,6 & 7 speed chains: they have very "retro" side plates to each link, meaning totally flat. I've found this means they shift as badly as chains I remember back in the day... The more expensive Connex chains are not so bad though. I've tried a lot of chains and I've gotta say the most reliable are Shimano HG chains. Not period correct of course, but reliable for regular riding. b
ScubaScott8177

Post by ScubaScott8177 »

busaste wrote:I am keen to talk to people who used to work for and/or sell Trusty Viscount/Lambert/Viscount bicycles.
I am a BIG fan (don't laugh!) of these bikes and am just hungry for information, old sales brochures, old road tests, etc.
Hope someone can help!
There must be someone out there?
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Who would've though such a simple line would prove to be the snow flake that caused an avalanche.. "There must be someone out there"
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

It's amazing, 4 years, 908 replies and 110,000 views later!
Bendo

Post by Bendo »

Yeah, but 103,000 of those views are just me checking if anyone's posted anything new recently. b
ScubaScott8177

Post by ScubaScott8177 »

Bendo wrote:Yeah, but 103,000 of those views are just me checking if anyone's posted anything new recently. b

Lol yup, I check this thread on my phone more than I call or text with it!
tommylad

Post by tommylad »

Just thought I'd post a few piccies of my Aerospace Pro which I'm selling. I'm looking for £50 for it. Please note that although in the photos, the mudguards will not be included in the sale.

The frame is 24" C-T, and the top tube is 22 1/2" C-C. The wheels aren't originals, nor is the saddle or pedals (at least), and the BB spindle tapers are damaged, which results in the cranks working loose after a few miles - it really wants sorting before the bike is really usable.

Edward Shurman

Post by Edward Shurman »

I have to get that " BROOKS ' seat for my Aerospace ... It just looks more comfortable than my original Trusty seat.
Any series # to the seat ... Thanks
drossall

Post by drossall »

tommylad wrote:Just thought I'd post a few piccies of my Aerospace Pro which I'm selling.

Are we in for another project here? Looking forward to it.

The rear derailleur is a Shimano Crane, which was the pre-cursor/first version of Dura-Ace in the mid-late 1970s. Nice kit. Front one looks like a more recent replacement.
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

Yes, I would have gone for this one if it were my frame size....bit too big for me.