Viscount bicycles!!

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
triitout

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Post by triitout »

Hi all, After I rebuilt my blue Viscount Gran Touring (see Dec 26, 2009), I got the bug to find another one with all the origional parts. I took delivery on a 1975 Aerospace G.P. from Craigs list last week that fit the bill. The origional owner rode it maybe four times and kept it pretty close to new condition with only a few minor frame scratches. It only took some minor adjustment to get it road ready. I swapped out the short Birmalux seat post for a 350mm, put a new/old seat on, and swapped out one of the non-locking Lambert Q/R levers for a safer one. The origional owner had replaced the tubes and matched up new handlebar tape. All these parts will saved. Rode it today for the first time and it was very smooth. I do have to get used to the friction shifters! Here is a list of the parts: Shimano Titalist rear and Shimano GTO Thunderline front derailliurs, Birmalux alloy rims and seatpost, Lambert toeclips, straps and Q/R levers, Viscount brakes headset, hubs, crank, and pedals, IRC tires and Gen 3 aluminum fork. I'd like to touch up the scratches if I figure out how without messing it up. I know Busate will enjoy this one! Here are some pictures.
http://www.shutterfly.com/lightbox/view ... a80fdf8c46
triitout

Post by triitout »

Sorry I had the wrong link for photos. It's
http://1975viscountgp.shutterfly.com/pictures/8

Michael
busaste

Post by busaste »

triitout wrote:Hi all, After I rebuilt my blue Viscount Gran Touring (see Dec 26, 2009), I got the bug to find another one with all the origional parts. I took delivery on a 1975 Aerospace G.P. from Craigs list last week that fit the bill. The origional owner rode it maybe four times and kept it pretty close to new condition with only a few minor frame scratches. It only took some minor adjustment to get it road ready. I swapped out the short Birmalux seat post for a 350mm, put a new/old seat on, and swapped out one of the non-locking Lambert Q/R levers for a safer one. The origional owner had replaced the tubes and matched up new handlebar tape. All these parts will saved. Rode it today for the first time and it was very smooth. I do have to get used to the friction shifters! Here is a list of the parts: Shimano Titalist rear and Shimano GTO Thunderline front derailliurs, Birmalux alloy rims and seatpost, Lambert toeclips, straps and Q/R levers, Viscount brakes headset, hubs, crank, and pedals, IRC tires and Gen 3 aluminum fork. I'd like to touch up the scratches if I figure out how without messing it up. I know Busate will enjoy this one! Here are some pictures.
http://www.shutterfly.com/lightbox/view ... a80fdf8c46

Wow! Classic Aerospace GP in amazing very original condition!!!!!!!!!! Hasn't it cleaned up well? It is so satisfying to see these superb Viscounts being cherished and saved from the crusher!

One thing I have recently discovered - although it is probably well known out there - is a great product called Scotchbrite. Their fine grade abrasive pads used in combination with a good metal polish (e.g. Solvol Autosol) are perfect for shining up the rustless spokes used on old Viscount Aerospace wheels.

We need much more of this. Let's keep this thread going!

Happy restoring/pedalling
triitout

Post by triitout »

Just looked up fork recalls on the Consumer Product Safety Commission website, U.S. (for fun?). Amazed to see some big names like Cervelo, Giant and most recently Felt with fork failures/recalls. Makes you wonder since they're not shutting down anytime soon. In a way I guess Viscount was again ahead of its time!
busaste

Post by busaste »

triitout wrote:Just looked up fork recalls on the Consumer Product Safety Commission website, U.S. (for fun?). Amazed to see some big names like Cervelo, Giant and most recently Felt with fork failures/recalls. Makes you wonder since they're not shutting down anytime soon. In a way I guess Viscount was again ahead of its time!

Good point!
I have never really understood why the 'Death Fork' legend has persisted for so long. As you point out there are other companies who have produced 'death forks' but there seems no willingness amongst the cycling community to unfairly tarnish these companies with such a reputation. For my own amusement - and to test the cycling cognoscenti - I recently took great pleasure when looking at a £2000+ Cervelo frame proudly displayed in my LBS by remarking, "Oh Cervelo, they make death fork don't they?". By the looks on people's faces you would think that I had just denied the existence of the holocaust. It seems that poor Viscount will always have to carry the stigma of the death fork maker. Even more ironic is the fact that the mark 3 version of the death fork has proved to be pretty tough. There are loads of them still around after 30+ years of use.
Funny old world.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Used one for loaded touring with a front rack for quite a while in the late seventies, before I knew of the supposed danger. Now that I know that there were different versions, and now that I know mine is version 3, I regret having replaced it (but kept the original).
Willem
Maxwiggan

Post by Maxwiggan »

cyclingthelakes wrote:
Maxwiggan wrote:Hi
I just re discovered a silver/grey viscount aerospace 400 in my dads shed. It no longer has original rims, tyres, hubs or gear leavers and needs new cables but the frame seems fine. I dont seem to have the death forks as a magnet will stick to them. There is some rust damage and a lot of scratching to the paintwork. Is it worth restoring?

Well, the frames are made of a material that does not rust, I do not mean to call into question what you said, but that is a fact, the frames do not rust. This is your only post and by the way, you also say the same thing I said, the base of the fork, not "forks" which also seems to be a bit precariously worded, a magnet would stick to. Hmmn. Suspicious.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/maxwiggan ... vj2L3IxwE#

proof that chrome-moly steel does rust! check out the spider rust on the top tube this was underthe paint when i stripped it. still deciding what to do about but until then I'm keeping it protected with spray lubricant and out of the wet. This thing is a work in progress but it rides. Beautifuly.

Striped paint
complete rebuild bb + steerer
new wheelset
new cables
replacment rear derailer
7 speed freewheel
quill to a headset converter
donated bars (raleigh eclipse)
donated stem (mtb)
donated shimano 7 speed rapidfire shifter brake leaver combo
rogrobin

Post by rogrobin »

Hi

I was donated an old Viscount Sebring frame a couple of weeks ago and thought I would have a go a making a fixie.

I found this thread and learnt a lot about the history of these bikes.

It is still a work in progress but here are a couple of pics.

I salvaged what I could from the frame -it only had one crank on it so I couldnt salvage that, and the wheels were original but the back one was pretty buckled -Im sure someone with a lighter touch than me could get it true again but for my purposes steel rims diddnt really appeal so I replaced them.

Looking at the derailleur and the brake blocks I was amazed to find no signs of wear at all! -in fact I would say that at the most this bike had only been ridden a few miles.

One side of the frame is noticeably lighter than the other which would suggest that it has been stored in the sun. Also apparent is a ghost of a price tag label which my other half reckons means -along with the sun bleaching on one side- that the bike was sitting in a shop window for a long time. Whatever its story it had been banged around at some point as there are a number of scratches in the paintwork. The side of the axle with the missing crank was pretty rusty so I found a replacement axle on ebay. here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170469934421&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp4712.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D170469934421%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1 -I got a slightly different axle with a shorter length on the drive side to get my chainline perfect. I also bought some new bearings and it now runs beautiful and smooth. I also put new bearings in the headset.

One other thing: somewhere on this thread someone said that the seat post diameter for viscount frame was 26.8mm. I found that mine was 26.4. Doesnt sound like much difference but neither a 26.8mm or a 26.6mm would fit.

Also -is not everyday that you see the frame number K11111!!

-I know the red chain might not go down to well with the purists but Ive always wanted a coloured chain -sorry!

Cheers

Roger
Attachments
trusty.jpg
price.jpg
number.jpg
bike.jpg
cyclingthelakes

Post by cyclingthelakes »

RogRobin:

What kinds of wheels? They look nice.

Red Chain? Good for you, looks like Red Tyres too. They are kind of a fad now but more power to such ideas. I'm sure coloured chains have been around for awhile but I don't think they were that readily accessible to the public. I just had my Visc upside down the other day and saw the serial # but really didn't take heed. You should tell us how it rides. Sebrings look very classic to me. Sharp looking, beautiful bikes. No point really in showing us some little blemish in a photo. At some point, maybe I'll find one.

I'll be using my Viscount this weekend, I do have some pedals I could clip into, maybe I'll try that! Also to Mr. Jongman's remarks, I have a minimalist handlebar bag support on mine, not exactly a front rack but it can be made to carry a lot if need be.

-------------

If I get my bearings straight and have a bit of extra cash about, I considered that

Velo-Retro says
Custom T-shirts: If you have an idea, photo or drawing you'd like to put on a shirt we can make your shirt for the same or a slightly higher price than our regular shirts. We'd be happy to answer any questions you have; feel free to contact us.

http://www.velo-retro.com/teeshirt1.html

Now, that I have done a bit of business with them, I got a Raleigh shirt and one other from them, I was thinking if something might be a nice t-shirt having to do with Viscount!

But custom Tees, Custom t-shirts probably are hard to make in about any large city, someone must do that.

Right off the bat, I'd be considering just putting their head badge on front of a t-shirt, that would work like on the Sebring above or their other bikes. One of their ads might be okay but not as simple and clear as say the head badge. Any other ideas?

Just the head badge but hopefully, a flat basic diagram of the badge just like you can see the Raleigh Heron on shirts around or the Campy logo as another example.

-------------------

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30978287@N ... /lightbox/ (Note this Cusqueno has a # of pictures of Viscounts, a nice lime green/chartreuse coloured Viscount Aerospace 600ex , quite a collector).

Going back to the Gold Viscount, Tulsa 1, frame built in Taiwan. Curious. I am not familiar with this make.

http://velospace.org/taxonomy/term/2546
Attachments
Here is a very nice Viscount Headbadge I found on the web: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3019/2937347041_fe31c8487c.jpg  This one looks to be more of a metal badge and except for the cable, that badge design would prob. look sharp on a t-shirt.
Here is a very nice Viscount Headbadge I found on the web: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3019/2937347041_fe31c8487c.jpg This one looks to be more of a metal badge and except for the cable, that badge design would prob. look sharp on a t-shirt.
I think a Viscount headbadge might make a good image on a t-shirt but probably not this one, just a flat image. Maybe the magazine ads have one and those ads can be found on the web. These images I display are from the web. A big Head badge on the front of a t would be sharp. You can get any coloured shirt as well.
I think a Viscount headbadge might make a good image on a t-shirt but probably not this one, just a flat image. Maybe the magazine ads have one and those ads can be found on the web. These images I display are from the web. A big Head badge on the front of a t would be sharp. You can get any coloured shirt as well.
rogrobin

Post by rogrobin »

The wheels shown are nothing special -in fact they were the cheapest I could find :)

-under £100 for both from here http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/rutlandcycling/

cheers

Roger
jdwertz

Post by jdwertz »

just bought my very first road bike to use for cross training during and after the swim season. So far I have put a few hundred miles on her. I am pretty new at this so I hoped you guys could help me out. I am pretty sure it needs new bearing and a crankset axle, as I have heard they are prone to failure. I found a good source of what to buy online, 123mm shimano tapered Phil wood axle. Can anyone point me in the right direction on where I could buy this? I already found the proper bearings, I believe. Also need to be some new tires, popped one the other day :x
thanks!!
quiksilver

Post by quiksilver »

rogrobin wrote:Hi

I was donated an old Viscount Sebring frame a couple of weeks ago and thought I would have a go a making a fixie.

I found this thread and learnt a lot about the history of these bikes.

It is still a work in progress but here are a couple of pics.

I salvaged what I could from the frame -it only had one crank on it so I couldnt salvage that, and the wheels were original but the back one was pretty buckled -Im sure someone with a lighter touch than me could get it true again but for my purposes steel rims diddnt really appeal so I replaced them.

Looking at the derailleur and the brake blocks I was amazed to find no signs of wear at all! -in fact I would say that at the most this bike had only been ridden a few miles.

One side of the frame is noticeably lighter than the other which would suggest that it has been stored in the sun. Also apparent is a ghost of a price tag label which my other half reckons means -along with the sun bleaching on one side- that the bike was sitting in a shop window for a long time. Whatever its story it had been banged around at some point as there are a number of scratches in the paintwork. The side of the axle with the missing crank was pretty rusty so I found a replacement axle on ebay. here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170469934421&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp4712.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D170469934421%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1 -I got a slightly different axle with a shorter length on the drive side to get my chainline perfect. I also bought some new bearings and it now runs beautiful and smooth. I also put new bearings in the headset.

One other thing: somewhere on this thread someone said that the seat post diameter for viscount frame was 26.8mm. I found that mine was 26.4. Doesnt sound like much difference but neither a 26.8mm or a 26.6mm would fit.

Also -is not everyday that you see the frame number K11111!!

-I know the red chain might not go down to well with the purists but Ive always wanted a coloured chain -sorry!

Cheers

Roger

Watch those coloured chains, I have run two so far on my fixed Viscount and both wore out very quickly. The last one let go in a disasterous way and caused me to take a tumble. I am running a 30 quid silver chain now and its much better quality. I also ran red tyres on my Viscount, Schwalbe Blizzard Sprots for 18 months with no problems, they are fantastic tyres but have now been update with a new model which are slightly different :(
busaste

Post by busaste »

jdwertz wrote:just bought my very first road bike to use for cross training during and after the swim season. So far I have put a few hundred miles on her. I am pretty new at this so I hoped you guys could help me out. I am pretty sure it needs new bearing and a crankset axle, as I have heard they are prone to failure. I found a good source of what to buy online, 123mm Shimano tapered Phil wood axle. Can anyone point me in the right direction on where I could buy this? I already found the proper bearings, I believe. Also need to be some new tires, popped one the other day :x
thanks!!

Nice Aerospace Pro which does not have its 'death fork'. The Phil Wood axles occasionally turn up on Ebay or try Harris Cyclery in PA. They are getting hard to find these days! Some thoughts on Viscount's BB axle:

What taper you choose depends on the crank you have or want to get. The Viscount crank will go on a JIS taper but it is not easy to get it to sit square on the axle(see below). Probably better to stick with ISO taper if you have a Viscount crank to reuse.

Check this Viscount/Phil Wood conversion: http://bikecult.com/works/parts/bbViscount.html

Also there is another option. Have a look at this particularly the bit that says: "Cooks also make a press-in version for older Fat Chance or Klein frames, in fact Cooks is the only one to make a good aftermarket replacement for these" The weblink is: http://www.bikepro.com/products/bottom_ ... cooks.html

And here is another option: http://www.bikepro.com/products/bottom_ ... white.html

Here is another option: http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... 151c003226

Also, old Klein spindles are still out there. I used one on one of my Aerospace Pros but it messed up the chainline when used in conjunction with offset chain rings (Shimano 600 'Arabesque'). The Klein is 123mm long, 17mm diameter and has a JIS taper. A nice quality part. Good for at least 100,000 miles but you do need to use a crank which has no chain ring offset e.g. Sugino Maxy, SR Apex and of course Viscount's own 'porthole' design.

This is the Loctite to use with a Klein BB spindle (there are no circlip grooves!): http://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Strength- ... B000FN0UPW

Viscount actually made 4 different bottom bracket spindles for the Aerospace frames! The most commonly used spindle had an ISO taper and was recognizable by having 3 grooves machined in it (2 on one side). This spindle accepted Viscount cranks (TA copy, made in England by Copel Foundries) and very early Shimano, Sugino, SR Apex ones too, although getting the last three to sit square on the spindle is harder than building a space shuttle. Whilst drunk. I managed it by fully tightening up the crank/chain rings as normal, locating where it was not sat square and hitting it hard from the back of the chain rings to literally force it back into position, square on the crank. It took me an hour but it eventually sat just nice. If your Viscount has an original spindle with 2 machined grooves you have been lucky. That was intended for JIS taper cranks!!

You can have the BB shell tapped out to take an Italian thread. You can then fit a cartridge BB unit. Easy!!

Argos Cycles used to do a service which involved fitting an insert into the BB shell which was threaded enabling the fitment of an English thread BB or modern cartridge unit. Don't know if they still do it. A guy called Doug Pinkerton also does something similar. He can be contactd through the Veteran Cycle Club.

If you don't reuse the Viscount cranks and chain rings don't sell them. They are becoming quite collectible!

Hope all this helps.
jdwertz

Post by jdwertz »

certainly does thanks. What would be the easiest option for someone new like me? Also can you recommend some decent road tires?

thanks!
busaste

Post by busaste »

jdwertz wrote:certainly does thanks. What would be the easiest option for someone new like me? Also can you recommend some decent road tires?

thanks!

Well, from what you say it looks like your BB axle has not broken which is good news. In that case hang onto it!!! I am running original Viscount BB axles that are 30+ years old and they are fine. The Viscount BB spindle frailty reputation appears to have no real basis in fact as is typical of these Viscount reputations. So it looks like, at most, you will just need to replace the BB cartridge bearings. Off with the cranks using a puller tool and then turn the spindle by hand to feel for any roughness. If they are shot my advice is to take the bike to your LBS - it is an easy job for a good mechanic and the cartridge bearings are readily available being a common size.
Speaking of parts frailty, consider this. A friend of mine has broken 12 cranks/BB axles over the years. They were mostly Campag Record and Shimano Dura Ace; highly regarded parts in the cycling world. Do these parts though have a reputation for fragility? By comparison when my mate used to race Viscounts (road and cycle cross) in the 1970's (and commuted to work on the same bikes which was some achievement as it added up to 500 miles/week!) neither he or his team mates ever broke a single Viscount crank/BB axle. Yes some Viscount BB axles have broken but in nothing like the quantities required to deserve a reputation. But then, that also applied to the 'death fork'. Poor Viscount...
Let me know how you get on.