Page 184 of 186

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Posted: 6 Sep 2019, 12:54pm
by Whippet
Very nice, looks like an Aerospace to me. Don’t know if it’s a Sport or a Pro. Looks like it has the original “Death Fork” as well. You’d do well to check which version of fork it is before you do too many miles on it. Version 3 is generally considered safest, but it’s up to you how much you want to risk a 40 year old fork that had a slightly notorious reputation.

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Posted: 6 Sep 2019, 12:58pm
by martin biggs
Whippet wrote:Very nice, looks like an Aerospace to me. Don’t know if it’s a Sport or a Pro. Looks like it has the original “Death Fork” as well. You’d do well to check which version of fork it is before you do too many miles on it. Version 3 is generally considered safest, but it’s up to you how much you want to risk a 40 year old fork that had a slightly notorious reputation.


It's a mark 3 version so more than happy to ride on it

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Posted: 8 Sep 2019, 3:43pm
by Whippet
Few snaps of my Metro 3 £50 eBay bargain. It’s in great condition for 39 years old.

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Posted: 14 Sep 2019, 7:09am
by Niallmo
So I have a Viscount.

A late model, possibly UK made, not an Aerospace, a Grand Prix. Shimano Altus LT derailleurs and shifters, SR chainset, ‘bars and stem. Shimano hubs with Rigida rims. Added ESGE mudguards.it looks all original, has a World Champions 1980 sticker. I rode it 20 miles home from picking it up and it felt really good. It has Michelin 1” tyres but they are beyond saving. Needs adegrease and polish but it should come up very well.

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Posted: 16 Sep 2019, 6:28pm
by Whippet
That looks just the job Niallmo

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Posted: 7 Oct 2019, 3:19pm
by Niallmo
I think it came up nicely! I’ve put a sealed BB and 50/34 chainset on it for practical reasons. It’s a great ride. Did 40 miles the other day and have done a few commutes in it and it’s excellent.

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Posted: 12 Nov 2019, 6:58pm
by Branchinho
Hi, I’ve found this in the back of my garden. Any idea if this is one of the better ones being aerospace and any idea how much this is worth. I realise only the frame is worth keeping.. thanks!

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Posted: 12 Nov 2019, 8:27pm
by martin biggs
Branchinho wrote:Hi, I’ve found this in the back of my garden. Any idea if this is one of the better ones being aerospace and any idea how much this is worth. I realise only the frame is worth keeping.. thanks!


That looks good , as long as the stem and seat post are free to move anywhere between £50 and upwards for the complete bike

Where are you based ?

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Posted: 20 Feb 2020, 12:19pm
by Niallmo
Hi Gang, I be just picked this up. Aerospace Sport. Drivetrain and rear wheel changed but pretty original. Late 70’s? I think it should have Shimano 600 derailleurs...

I

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Posted: 20 Feb 2020, 12:22pm
by Niallmo
I’ve tidied it up a bit and given it a basic clean. It’s wearing the wheels from my Viscount Grand Prix now. Looks well used but treated well, good drivetrain upgrade and it’s had the paint touched up in places.

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Posted: 20 Feb 2020, 12:32pm
by Niallmo
Frame number!

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Posted: 7 Apr 2020, 12:15pm
by Callahan
I was a Viscount dealer in the US. I kept the Dealer Manual provided by Yamaha. Here’s a link to it.

<< File Size = 251 Mbytes approx == BIG >>
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d3zdjvixmat03iz/Viscount%20Dealers%20Manual.pdf?dl=0

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Posted: 7 Apr 2020, 10:36pm
by Cyril
Viscount Sports. Bought 3 in 1976 from Langsett Cycles in Sheffield on my return to cycling having last cycled in 1957 prior to call up for National Service. Having 2 young sons; 11 & 12 at the time, and being an absolute duffer at ball games, decided that cycling would be my best way to relate with them in a positive way. All three of us are still cycling so worked out well. Seem to remember that for mine I paid, like a previous contributor, £89 with the boys being cheaper. The youngest boys having a chromed steel chain set with 160mm cranks the others being aluminium. All single ring. Quite light for the time. Recollect had a good evening ride with several considerable younger men into North Derbyshire and on the climbs left them standing. Doesn’t happen these days regrettably. My boys grew out of theirs and I swopped mine, which had a slight crease by that time in the bottom side of the down tube where the changer stop was located, for a bigger replacement for the elder boy. We all have good and fond memories of our Viscounts.

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Posted: 1 Aug 2020, 7:18pm
by Sooper8
Callahan wrote:I was a Viscount dealer in the US. I kept the Dealer Manual provided by Yamaha. Here’s a link to it.

<< File Size = 251 Mbytes approx == BIG >>
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d3zdjvixmat03iz/Viscount%20Dealers%20Manual.pdf?dl=0


Many thanks for sharing!

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Posted: 1 Aug 2020, 7:19pm
by Sooper8
Niallmo wrote:Hi Gang, I be just picked this up. Aerospace Sport. Drivetrain and rear wheel changed but pretty original. Late 70’s? I think it should have Shimano 600 derailleurs...

I


I agree, but that gearing would eat up the hills! Very good