Viscount bicycles!!

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Mik31960
Posts: 2
Joined: 15 Apr 2011, 11:44am

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Postby Mik31960 » 9 Nov 2011, 3:44pm

Hi all, I have a Viscount Aerospace white/blue colour that I have owned since 1982 and is now stored in my garage in Evesham, Worcestershire. I want to know if anyone is interested in owning it. I am giving it away to a good home, obviously you will need to collect it. If anyone is interested please post and I will contact you. Very interesting topic, brings back some good memories.

Bendo
Posts: 292
Joined: 3 Nov 2010, 10:10am

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Postby Bendo » 10 Nov 2011, 12:30pm

If only I lived close enough... :( b

Spudh
Posts: 42
Joined: 11 Aug 2011, 10:42pm

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Postby Spudh » 10 Nov 2011, 6:00pm

Well you've definitely come to the right place if you're looking for a good home for it :)

What size frame is it?

Mik31960
Posts: 2
Joined: 15 Apr 2011, 11:44am

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Postby Mik31960 » 12 Nov 2011, 5:14pm

Quite a large frame size - 25 inches

Its an aerospace GP, white with blue bands, everything original to the year it was built except for saddle and tyres.

Birmalux rims, Viscount centre pull brakes, lambert brake levers, Shimano chainset/ derailleurs.

The frame stickers are missing and the chrome bits are a bit rusty but other than that it is fairly good condition.

busaste
Posts: 365
Joined: 1 Mar 2008, 10:18pm

Sealed Bearing Removal

Postby busaste » 12 Nov 2011, 9:12pm

I have become increasingly frustrated with the hassle of removing the sealed bearings from the Aerospace frame bottom bracket and the Viscount/Lambert wheel hubs. Why? Well, mainly due to the following:

a) I do not have the right tools to do the job!
b) After many years the bearings can become almost bonded in place due to corrosion and the formation of of a white crusty patina (apparently that is the correct term for it). Once this has occurred, a lot of force is needed to remove them. Wrongly applying this force can lead to wrecked parts!
c) Even the slightest bit of cack handed bearing removal can damage the worryingly soft aerospace alloy used for the hubs. After that the bearing becomes a slack fit in the hub - without expensive re-engineering work the hub is scrap. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
d) the hub sealed bearings can only really be pulled out. Trying to drift them out from the back is nigh on impossible; there is nothing to get a good purchase on.
e) Most bike shops have no idea about how to remove these bearings and no tools to do the job.

I decided this week that enough was enough. After much head scratching I decided to assemble PROPER puller tools for the hub and bottom bracket bearings. They work perfectly. No damage to the bearings, hubs, bottom bracket shell! Even the most stuck bearings and severely corroded frame/hub etc. are not a problem. I celebrated the creation of these tools by doing 1 bottom bracket and 3 wheels. No problems at all - what a feeling!!! Years of frustration banished in less than 20 minutes.

Here are my puller tools:

DSCN2561.JPG


The key components are the two collets - 10mm and 17mm. These are beautifully made devices by Trident Tools (USA).

I wish I had these tools years ago. They would have saved me a fortune!

Now, the real purpose of this post is to let you Viscount fans know this:

I will pull your BB and wheel bearings out FREE OF CHARGE.


No more being turned away by bike shops or wasted effort pounding your hubs, BB, etc to bits. Please contact me if you need help!!!!!

It's just my way of putting a bit back to keep these old Viscounts running.

PW
Posts: 4519
Joined: 23 Jan 2007, 10:50am
Location: N. Derbys.

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Postby PW » 13 Nov 2011, 2:18pm

If it's alu/steel corrosion it can usually be shifted with household ammonia, cheap from Boots. :wink: That might save a few hub shells. Also works on seized seatpins and quill stems.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!

busaste
Posts: 365
Joined: 1 Mar 2008, 10:18pm

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Postby busaste » 13 Nov 2011, 11:25pm

Mik31960 wrote:Quite a large frame size - 25 inches

Its an aerospace GP, white with blue bands, everything original to the year it was built except for saddle and tyres.

Birmalux rims, Viscount centre pull brakes, lambert brake levers, Shimano chainset/ derailleurs.

The frame stickers are missing and the chrome bits are a bit rusty but other than that it is fairly good condition.


Thanks for your kind offer.

I'd happily take it off you if it is still available - it is my size!

Sent you a PM.

Thanks

Spudh
Posts: 42
Joined: 11 Aug 2011, 10:42pm

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Postby Spudh » 17 Nov 2011, 10:42pm

busaste wrote:
Mik31960 wrote:Quite a large frame size - 25 inches

Its an aerospace GP, white with blue bands, everything original to the year it was built except for saddle and tyres.

Birmalux rims, Viscount centre pull brakes, lambert brake levers, Shimano chainset/ derailleurs.

The frame stickers are missing and the chrome bits are a bit rusty but other than that it is fairly good condition.


Thanks for your kind offer.

I'd happily take it off you if it is still available - it is my size!

Sent you a PM.

Thanks


Couldn't end up with a more deserving person!! :wink:

Goldie
Posts: 77
Joined: 16 Jun 2010, 9:03pm

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Postby Goldie » 18 Nov 2011, 5:14pm

I'm thinking of getting some of the crusty odds and end on my Aerospace re-chromed - has anyone used a North West based chrome plater that you could recommend (and who wouldn't mind being asked to do a tiny job of no commercial value... :( )

Also, has anyone splashed out on a new chain recently that they'd recommend?

busaste
Posts: 365
Joined: 1 Mar 2008, 10:18pm

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Postby busaste » 18 Nov 2011, 10:06pm

Goldie wrote:I'm thinking of getting some of the crusty odds and end on my Aerospace re-chromed - has anyone used a North West based chrome plater that you could recommend (and who wouldn't mind being asked to do a tiny job of no commercial value... :( )

Also, has anyone splashed out on a new chain recently that they'd recommend?


I've had quite a few of the small and fiddly parts off my Viscounts rechromed by:

Aqua Plating
Unit 13
Aqueduct Mill
Preston
Lancashire
PR1 7JN (Road Map)

Tel: 01772 884801

Generally the chroming was very good and the prices very low. How about forks rechromed for £15!!! They tackled all sorts of fiddly jobs which most places are not interested in eg centre pull brake quick release levers and seat pinch bolts.

I've heard very good reports on Willowchrome who are based in St Helens:

Willochrome Ltd
13 West Side
Jackson Street
St Helens
Merseyside
WA9 3AT
Tel: 01744 738488

As for chains, that's easy. I really rate KMC chains. I use a KMC82 X8 - 93 on one of my Aerospace Pros. All the drivetrain parts on it are 1970s 'fayre'. The chain has a simple quick split/join link (no chaiin tool required) and it is so smooooooooooooth in use. My Shimano UG chains feel rough in comparison! I'm going to move to these chains as my Shimano ones wear out.

busaste
Posts: 365
Joined: 1 Mar 2008, 10:18pm

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Postby busaste » 18 Nov 2011, 10:08pm

Spudh wrote:
busaste wrote:
Mik31960 wrote:Quite a large frame size - 25 inches

Its an aerospace GP, white with blue bands, everything original to the year it was built except for saddle and tyres.

Birmalux rims, Viscount centre pull brakes, lambert brake levers, Shimano chainset/ derailleurs.

The frame stickers are missing and the chrome bits are a bit rusty but other than that it is fairly good condition.


Thanks for your kind offer.

I'd happily take it off you if it is still available - it is my size!

Sent you a PM.

Thanks


Couldn't end up with a more deserving person!! :wink:


Thanks Spudh!! :D

Bendo
Posts: 292
Joined: 3 Nov 2010, 10:10am

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Postby Bendo » 21 Nov 2011, 9:52am

I've heard Wipperman chains are the business, although I've never used one meself.

This is the one that'll be going on the famous (Supa)Sport. Love a chain that comes in a tin:
Image
Image

Don't buy a Taya chain. They look nice, but I broke the connecting link pedalling up a steep hill, then stretched the chain way past 1mm going up the same hill on another day. Chain was only 6 months old with <1500kms on it.

And Shimano are reliable and widely available. Just don't do as I did, when the the LBS guy said "how many gears?" I said "10", so he sold me an ultra skinny, ultra-expensive, Ultegra chain. 10 speed these days (as opposed to back in the "bike boom" days) means the number of gears on the rear cassette, not the number of gears in total! Showed my age there!

b

PS - amazed you've got so many good chrome-platers. I can't find one!

triitout
Posts: 120
Joined: 22 Dec 2009, 8:12pm

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Postby triitout » 27 Nov 2011, 2:44pm

Its finally here! My wife, the graphic designer and I, have created an online store to purchase Viscount logo shirts, hats, and bags. I know there has been interest on the forum to have a nice logo shirt made and now it is a reality! We came up with three different shirt logo options and each logo option is available on different shirt styles and colors. Everything is professionally made at Zazzle. You decide what works for you! Its a real easy to navigate site. This is a great forum loaded with information and inspiration that lead me to now owning three Viscount Aerospace bikes, and I hope the members enjoy our products. All feedbacks and comments are appreciated. Please click on the links below to browse. Happy shopping!
P.S. Zazzle is running some holiday promotions that expire at midnight.


http://www.zazzle.co.uk/viscountshirts
http://www.zazzle.com/viscountshirts

Bendo
Posts: 292
Joined: 3 Nov 2010, 10:10am

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Postby Bendo » 27 Nov 2011, 9:52pm

Nice work! I really like the baseball cap. b

triitout
Posts: 120
Joined: 22 Dec 2009, 8:12pm

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Postby triitout » 27 Nov 2011, 11:47pm

Thanks for the kind words Bendo. No rusted bolts or grease to deal with on this Viscount project! What I like about doing it with Zazzle is that you the consumer have all the color choices so you can match apparel with your bike!

http://www.zazzle.co.uk/viscountshirts
http://www.zazzle.com/viscountshirts