Viscount bicycles!!

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Edward Shurman

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Postby Edward Shurman » 15 Jan 2013, 3:12am

Looking for a chrome fork [ or a replacement ] for my Aerospace Pro ... haven't had it on the road .... with all this " Death Fork " stuff going round .. thought i'd better look after replacing the aluminum one .

ScubaScott8177

Postby ScubaScott8177 » 15 Jan 2013, 5:17am

Edward Shurman wrote:Looking for a chrome fork [ or a replacement ] for my Aerospace Pro ... haven't had it on the road .... with all this " Death Fork " stuff going round .. thought i'd better look after replacing the aluminum one .

Just check yours to see if its a type three or not.. It should look like this on the bottom;

If you have a type two or one fork it will look like this

Just a heads up to anyone with a proclaimed death fork, if you plan to toss it, I will give it a good home. I want to cover my wall with type one and type two forks, rather see them displayed than disposed

Edward Shurman

Postby Edward Shurman » 15 Jan 2013, 3:07pm

Thanks for the up-date on the forks. I'll check them out and get back ...hope for the best ...
I think i received o chrome fork when i bought the Viscount many years ago.
But has long since disappeared. There is a " Death Fork " up now on ebay.

Edward Shurman

Postby Edward Shurman » 15 Jan 2013, 3:09pm

I havn''t asked the question ... Where did these forks break of stress crack ...

ScubaScott8177

Postby ScubaScott8177 » 15 Jan 2013, 5:07pm

Edward Shurman wrote:I havn''t asked the question ... Where did these forks break of stress crack ...

Is the one on eBay up for 125 + shipping? In the US right, that's a type three and safe to ride.. Looks good but it's a steep price. Make sure it's the right length steerer tube because I think it might be for a taller bike.. Can't remember. But if you're looking at the same one it is a safe one, you can see the round indentation on the underside

ScubaScott8177

Postby ScubaScott8177 » 15 Jan 2013, 5:26pm

Edward Shurman wrote:I havn''t asked the question ... Where did these forks break of stress crack ...

They broke between the steerer tube and the alloy body. They had a stub that pressed into the alloy and into the steerer tube, this link was the weakest link

JDThompson

Postby JDThompson » 15 Jan 2013, 8:00pm

I'll share my Viscount Aerospace conversion. It came to me as a bare frame -- no fork, bottom bracket, or paint for that matter. I found a nice steel fork with an internally lugged Takahashi investment cast crown I thought worked well with the lugless motif of the frame, had them powder-coated gloss black and picked up some transfers from H. Lloyd:

I was disappointed that the Lloyd transfers lacked the "Handbuilt by Trusty in England" of the originals, but I'll live.

I built it up as a 3-speed fixed gear using the Sturmey-Archer S3X hub, and installed some mudgaurds for all-weather riding:

I initially used an Edco "Grip" threadless bottom bracket cartridge, but discovered it did not work well in the cold winters we endure here. The aluminum cups on the Ecdo contract more with the cold than the steel BB shell, allowing the cartridge to come loose while riding. :(

After a couple episodes of this, I reamed out the BB shell and tapped it for Italian threads. As noted earlier in this thread, the Viscount BB shell is quite narrow even by British standards (mine measures 66mm), so I used Italian thread Campy "ATB" cups (with neoprene seals around the spindle opening), a 68mm Campy "Pista" spindle, and a couple Sturmey-Archer cog spacers to take up the slack. It works fine, even in cold weather.

I rounded it out with CLB sidepulls, guidonnet levers, and a Nitto Randoneur-bend handlebar. It's a great bike and enjoy enjoy riding it.

busaste

Postby busaste » 15 Jan 2013, 9:54pm

Well, whippet's Sport is finished. I am really pleased how it turned out. Everything (apart from a faulty KMC chain!) went really well and the parts just seemed to gravitate effortlessly to the bike. Well, not quite but it was an enjoyable build. Here are some pictures:

Apart from the tyres, cables, saddle, chain, frame and bar tape everything is NOS and as originally fitted to a 1975 Aerospace Sport.

Whippet is a great bloke and I am well chuffed that it has gone to him.

Having said all that, I miss it terribly. Of all the Viscount rebuilds/restos that I have done this is by far the best. It feels fabulous to ride. Smooth, light, responsive and fast.

I enjoyed the project so much I am doing another for myself! It's a real 'bitsa' as I am using up parts that I have lying around. It will be my year round Viscount Aerospace - out in all weathers and a basic cleaning regime. Pics to follow soon!

ScubaScott8177

Postby ScubaScott8177 » 15 Jan 2013, 11:44pm

Wow, that turned out nice! I love seeing these life machines restored and rolling.

ScubaScott8177

Postby ScubaScott8177 » 15 Jan 2013, 11:45pm

PM'd you Busaste

triitout

Postby triitout » 16 Jan 2013, 2:39am

Two really nice restorations! Busaste, the Sport is really over the top great! You just might have started a cottage industry of NOS Viscounts!

Interesting to see an Aerospace in black. I too have a bare frame and I'm waiting for divine inspiration as to directing me what it will become.

Great work guys, very inspiring!

http://www.zazzle.co.uk/viscountshirts
http://www.zazzle.com/viscountshirts

Bendo

Postby Bendo » 16 Jan 2013, 8:39am

Once again Busaste has raised the bar... what a bike! Even has lazy brakes! That black framed bike is a lovely build too. Love the original take on creating a practical but aesthetically pleasing ride.

If I had a spare Aerospace frame lying around I reckon I would try making a feature of the fillet brazing: strip it back to bare metal, then polish and clear coat, decals and all! Heresy I know but I think it could look amazing. b

Edward Shurman

Postby Edward Shurman » 16 Jan 2013, 4:59pm

So we are saying ... the smooth underside of these forks are " safe".... as the tube in/fork is unsafe.
The ebay fork is being called "unsafe"... showing the tube in/fork to be " unsafe "
Sorry for "my" confusion ... although i haven't read a directive on these forks.

The " red " Viscount couldn't be topped by " any " ferrari" . Stunning

ScubaScott8177

Postby ScubaScott8177 » 16 Jan 2013, 5:15pm

Edward Shurman wrote:So we are saying ... the smooth underside of these forks are " safe".... as the tube in/fork is unsafe.
The ebay fork is being called "unsafe"... showing the tube in/fork to be " unsafe "
Sorry for "my" confusion ... although i haven't read a directive on these forks.

The " red " Viscount couldn't be topped by " any " ferrari" . Stunning

Other way around.. If it is smooth, it is "unsafe..

If it has a circular indentation, it is safe. I paid 70 to get one off eBay that the seller had listed as an unsafe fork but the pictures in fact showed a circular indentation indicating it as a safe fork

Edward Shurman

Postby Edward Shurman » 16 Jan 2013, 5:46pm

T H A N K Y O U .... for the clarification of the " Death Fork".
I "just" inspected my Viscount for the fork ... thankfully i have a "safe" fork.
You are 100% correct ... the ebay fork is a safe fork ... posted as a " Death Fork " incorrectly
I emailed the seller with this advisory..
NOW ... the restoration begins...
My silver Viscount Aerospace Pro was a beauty to ride ... swift and agile
Thanks again..... stay safe