Embarrassing Subject

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
pes

Embarrassing Subject

Post by pes »

On the last few rides I have been experiencing some chaffing between my ahem and my ahem’s (I’m a bloke :oops: ). This has resulted in me being chapped ‘down there’ and today I have noticed some blood in my shorts.
I wear Aldi longs over padded lycra shorts and ride the same route every time (about 25 miles).
I have examined the padding in my shorts and it appears to be in good condition.

Does anyone have have any advice please.
neilob

Post by neilob »

What saddle are you using?? That can be a real killer if it's too hard or too soft (bit like Goldilocks porridge really)

My tips:

1. A big dollop of vaseline in the ahem area (I do this EVERY time I ride)
2. Wear the best shorts you can get (but price isn't always the guide although I'm not persuaded by Aldi quality)
3. Don't waer padded shorts under padded longs
4. Check seat height is right and fore/aft position
5. Allow the ahem area to recover fully before trying again

Neil
Using a car to take an adult on a three mile journey is the same as using an atomic bomb to kill a canary.
pes

Post by pes »

neilob wrote:What saddle are you using?? That can be a real killer if it's too hard or too soft (bit like Goldilocks porridge really)

My tips:

1. A big dollop of vaseline in the ahem area (I do this EVERY time I ride)
2. Wear the best shorts you can get (but price isn't always the guide although I'm not persuaded by Aldi quality)
3. Don't waer padded shorts under padded longs
4. Check seat height is right and fore/aft position
5. Allow the ahem area to recover fully before trying again

Neil

Thanks Neil,

The saddle is a Selle San Marco Rolls.

1. Will try this.
2. The shorts are not Aldi. Don't know the make but recall that they were not cheap.
3. Yes, the longs are padded also.
4. Seat height and position has not changed since I got the bike.
5. Will do.

Cheers

Paul
gaz

Post by gaz »

Nappy cream is an alternative to vaseline. I used to use it on longer audax rides.

These days I don't ride enough to encounter problems.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
beachcomber

Post by beachcomber »

Like Gaz I tend to use E45 cream or something like Savlon.
Clean shorts every ride as they pick up bacteria and fester.
Don't wear underpants under the padded shorts as the seams rub and can cause sore spots.
Where possible I change asap after riding and shower if one is available. If not I give the 'ahem' area a wipe with antiseptic wet ones. Having had a saddle boil in the past, I am anxious to prevent another.
After an audax ride if I have to drive home I always get changed out of my cycling shorts and put on tracksuit bottoms after completing the above routine.
As Neil said, let the area recover before trying again. failure to do so will almost certainly lead to a worsening of the problem.
Basil W Bloke

Post by Basil W Bloke »

Sounds like the ahem is pointing south. Try a more north easterly or northwesterly position. (May require adjustment before entering shops etc)
We are normal and we want our freedom
We are normal and we dig Bert Weedon
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

pes

If you are sure that the blood is coming through skin, IMO it's not much different to a graze anywhere else - it's just that if you graze your chin or your elbow it's not embarrassing. It can be inconvenient in that when riding on a bike you don't want discomfort or worse on the bit you sit on.

If there is any chance that it's internal bleeding, have a look at this thread: http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t ... ight=piles

I think the consensus was that the thread was a wind-up, but the issues were still discussed constructively.
professorlandslide

Post by professorlandslide »

Preparation H GEL, (good for eye bags as well ;D) or sudocrem...
emergency_pants

Post by emergency_pants »

Sudocrem for prevention and Savlon for healing... they're both great products. I find Savlon tends to be absorbed into the skin but is great for aiding healing. Sudocrem is designed to prevent soreness, so that's got to be the one.
frank

Post by frank »

This happened to me . The problem with the padded shorts i was wearing were there had stiching in the padding ,this was rubbing against my ahems. This was causing a lot of chaffing and sores. I threw them away and got a new pair ( shorts not ahems) problem solved.
Beakyboy

Post by Beakyboy »

I used to suffer from this. Vaselines makes it worse. Nappy rash cream is okay, but get Bepanthem. Its about five squigglies from the chemist for a big tube that lasts for ages, it is a nappy rash cream but also has a barrier cream in it too. I have been using it daily for the last 8 years. Great stuff!
May the wind always be at your rear!
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Can't understand what the fuss is about :roll: I've never had any problem with a saddle rash :oops: apart from the first couple of days getting used to a new saddle, then forget it :D As for wearing padded shorts under padded legin's, thats asking for trouble. at the moment with the temp as it is I'm in legings (aldi) cheap cheerfull and not bad at all, soon as it warms up a bit more I'll be into my Tesco Shorts - padded lycra. Thats it, no creams, lotions or potions. Had my first ride out this year 32 miles up towards Culcheth over the Warburton bridge only came back early as my feet were cold :( Shoes might have been still damp from last night :?:
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
pes

Post by pes »

thirdcrank wrote:pes

If you are sure that the blood is coming through skin, IMO it's not much different to a graze anywhere else - it's just that if you graze your chin or your elbow it's not embarrassing. It can be inconvenient in that when riding on a bike you don't want discomfort or worse on the bit you sit on.

If there is any chance that it's internal bleeding, have a look at this thread: http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t ... ight=piles

I think the consensus was that the thread was a wind-up, but the issues were still discussed constructively.

Hi TC,

The bleeding is definitely chaffing and, thankfully, not internal. I had a look with a mirror last night (not a pretty sight I can tell you :shock: ).
Not too sore today so I also don't think that there is any infection.

Hopefully, I will be back in the saddle in a couple of days and, armed with the info from here, I should be in good shape.

I tell you, it is your worst nightmare when your wife catches you examining your undercarriage with a mirror :oops:
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

My wife is a registered, though no longer practising nurse. If I have anything that needs inspecting for medical reasons I expect her to get on with it and then to prescribe a cure.
mr riff raff

Post by mr riff raff »

Assos chamois cream. Seems expensive at around £10 for a tub, although you can get it for less if you shop around.
I ride 3-4 times a week and a tub lasts all summer.
A finger tip full in enough and slap it on the appropriate area while getting dressed.
MrsRR bought some (expensive) skin cream a few years ago and it was the same stuff but for some reason she didn't fancy a swap for scientific purposes. :?
Politicians are wonderful people as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, such as working for a living.