The origin of...

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Beakyboy

The origin of...

Post by Beakyboy »

"A quick rub down with the sporting life" I've always used this phrase as an euphemism of sorting yourself out after a hard training session or a tough physical job. Does anyone know how and where the phrase originated from?
May the wind always be at your rear!
Biscuit

Post by Biscuit »

On or off topic? I dont know the background behind your 'sporting life' ........ but a fe of my favourites are (and I do not know their background either) are;

"That is harder, than a big bag full of very hard things" .... to indicate how 'very' hard some thing is,

erh, oh yeh " its like herding cats" to indicate how hard and complex something is (imagine herding cats - obviously) and in the same vein - ther seems to be a theme for me here...... "its like pushing an elephant up a ladder"......... any more for any more? Should this be in another section?
steve climpson

Re: The origin of...

Post by steve climpson »

Beakyboy wrote:"A quick rub down with the sporting life" I've always used this phrase as an euphemism of sorting yourself out after a hard training session or a tough physical job. Does anyone know how and where the phrase originated from?

Cockney rhyming slang for wife. You figure out the rest. :D
Greybeard

Re: The origin of...

Post by Greybeard »

steve climpson wrote:Cockney rhyming slang for wife. You figure out the rest. :D

I've never felt that 'Beano and Dandy' after a long ride - am I doing it wrong? :oops:

Steve
Biscuit

Post by Biscuit »

Bandy? Maybe your bottom bracket isnt wide enough, Handy? You need to read more DIY you do........
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Biscuit wrote:Bandy? Maybe your bottom bracket isnt wide enough, Handy? You need to read more DIY you do........

Strangely, both have been said before :oops: :cry:

Steve
steve climpson

Post by steve climpson »

the origin of the word berk is ah.... interesting.
Beakyboy

Post by Beakyboy »

steve climpson wrote:the origin of the word berk is ah.... interesting.

Yeah thats a good one, people use it without realising what it means.
May the wind always be at your rear!
Dee Jay

Post by Dee Jay »

Beakyboy wrote:
steve climpson wrote:the origin of the word berk is ah.... interesting.

Yeah thats a good one, people use it without realising what it means.

Indeed. Like my mother-in-law, who also uses 'bugger' very freely, considering it to be genteel profanity, and turns into a modern-day Queen Victoria when I try to tell her what she's really saying. "Oh, I wouldn't know about *that* sort of thing, it didn't exist in my day ....!" She does, however, acknowledge that lesbians and fish-knives do exist! Unlike, VR!
Dee