lidl

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
jimbhoy

Post by jimbhoy »

All lidl stores in glasgow are closed.
AMC

Post by AMC »

my lidl puter lasted about a month, although that was a wireless one

Si, I'm still using that very computer which you sent me when I put out a request to replace my Lidl one that I lost - works perfectly with my magnety transmitter thing. Still most grateful for your generosity!
Si

Post by Si »

Glad we managed to make a fully working one out of our bits! Beats chucking it all into landfill :wink:
bailout

Post by bailout »

speedsixdave wrote: A set of Ortleib hooks (c. £20 for four) has sorted that problem, but they're no longer quite the bargain they started out as...

Did the ortlieb hooks fit the rails on the lidl panniers or did you have to replace the rails as well? If they fitted ok was it ql1 or ql2 hooks that you used?

The lidl ones seem to get good reports on line other than the hooks. If so even with replacing the hooks they are only £20 each or £40 a pair which is still quite cheap.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

A plug from me:

My elder son's firm does quite a lot of work for Lidl, installing the air-handling in new stores, then the subsequent maintenance. Lidl are said to be taking advantage of the recession to expand the number of their stores. Spend all your hard-earned £££ there folks! :D
Lawrie9

Post by Lawrie9 »

Don't have Lidl here in the countryside. Lots of farm supplies and agricultural merchants though. Alright if you need a pair of strong boots or a tin of paint. Don't seem to need much stuff these days as I ignore most of the frippery that sadly surrounds modern cycling.
speedsixdave

Post by speedsixdave »

bailout wrote:
speedsixdave wrote: A set of Ortleib hooks (c. £20 for four) has sorted that problem, but they're no longer quite the bargain they started out as...

Did the ortlieb hooks fit the rails on the lidl panniers or did you have to replace the rails as well? If they fitted ok was it ql1 or ql2 hooks that you used?

Can't remember exactly, but I think ql1. Will post a snap tomorrow if I get round to it.
Big wheels good, small wheels better.
Two saddles best!
Hector's House

Post by Hector's House »

jimbhoy wrote:All lidl stores in glasgow are closed.

what? :?
emergency_pants

Post by emergency_pants »

Lawrie9 wrote:Don't have Lidl here in the countryside. Lots of farm supplies and agricultural merchants though. Alright if you need a pair of strong boots or a tin of paint. Don't seem to need much stuff these days as I ignore most of the frippery that sadly surrounds modern cycling.

I never buy any of the cycle-specific clothing or bits and bobs either... BUT when I see these Lidl and Aldi sales, in the past I have been and bought myself some cycle clothing and such like.

This time, I'm going to take the opportunity to try some cycle shorts and some shoes for the first time without having to pay the potty prices of some of the branded stuff. I also will buy a couple of short sleeve tops for the summer as the long sleeve Crane winter ones I bought in Aldi are excellent!
Dave Gy

Post by Dave Gy »

Good day,

This is what is available in my local Lidl..

Please use short links

I think that I will be looking at the jacket and shorts.
millimole

Post by millimole »

Lawrie9 wrote:<snip> as I ignore most of the frippery that sadly surrounds modern cycling.

Me too! But it's thanks to the bargains to be had from these places that I've (at long last) discovered the delights of overshoes - which I'd thought previously only to be for poseuers!!
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

millimole wrote:
Lawrie9 wrote:<snip> as I ignore most of the frippery that sadly surrounds modern cycling.

Me too! But it's thanks to the bargains to be had from these places that I've (at long last) discovered the delights of overshoes - which I'd thought previously only to be for poseuers!!

Depends on the colour ? :oops:
bodach

Post by bodach »

Not a cycling item but the oven timers from Lidl make very good stopwatches. Look at the latest Singletrack Mag on page 97 is a Lidl oven timer used by the commentator but exactly the same as the stopwatches for time. Nice large numbers as well which can be read from a distance when recording eg a timetrial in the rain and snow. The gun is to shoot those who put their numbers on the back and get them covered in mud and so unreadable.
kernow-tourer

Post by kernow-tourer »

We bought two bike racks this weekend for £3:75 each. Put them both up on the wall in the house and they look great, also ideal for working on the bikes without using a stand. They take up to 50kg and have enough space for two bikes but we just bought one for each bike. Really pleased, will just have to see if they stay up!!
If it aint raining, it aint training!
morzov

Post by morzov »

Never used SPD shoes before - do the Lidl ones come with cleats or do they have to be purchased separately . If so roughly how much are they.